Vail Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2019
MY HUSBAND AND I STAYED AT ARRABELLE, VAIL FOR ONE WEEK IN DECEMBER 2018. MY HUSBAND WAS BADLY INJURED THE FIRST DAY AND REMAINED IN VAIL HOSPITAL THE REST OF THE WEEK.
WE HAD PURCHASED A TRAVEL INSURANCE POLICY AS PART OF THE HOTEL PACKAGE.
WHEN I INITIALLY CONTACTED AIG TRAVELGUARD REGARDING THE CLAIM, THEY INFORMED ME THAT THE COVERAGE WAS ONLY IN FORCE DURING THE TIME WE WERE ON THE TRIP. I WAS UNAWARE OF THIS DUE TO NOT HAVING THE POLICY AVAILABLE TO ME. I HAD REQUESTED IT FROM THE RESERVATION AGENT BUT SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS NOT ABLE TO SEND IT AND COULD NOT HOLD MY HOTEL RESERVATION ANY LONGER. I WAS UNCOMFORTABLE NOT READING THE POLICY FIRST AND TOLD HER THAT. I SPECIFICALLY ASKED ABOUT THE MEDICAL PORTION AND HOW LONG MEDICAL EXPENSES WOULD BE COVERED. SHE CLAIMED TO BE VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE INSURANCE POLICY THAT VAIL OFFERS AND SAID IT HAD GREAT EXTENSIVE COVERAGE, THAT SHE KNOWS MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE USED IT AND WERE VERY HAPPY, ETC. ETC.
SO BASED ON RECOMMENDATIONS SHE WAS GIVING ME, I WENT AHEAD AND PAID FOR THE HOTEL PACKAGE.
LESSONS LEARNED: ‘A RESERVATION AGENT SHOULD NOT BE GIVING INSURANCE ADVICE’
WE HAVE BEEN SKIING FOR A LONG TIME AND FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS OR SO HAVE ALWAYS PURCHASED TRAVEL INSURANCE DUE TO THE POTENTIAL FOR INJURY. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME WE PURCHASED TRAVEL INSURANCE AS PART OF THE HOTEL TRAVEL PACKAGE.
THE MOST IMPORTANT COVERAGE FEATURE TO US IS THE MEDICAL PORTION, WITH COVERAGE FOR UP TO ONE YEAR, KNOWING THAT PRETTY MUCH ANY SIGNIFICANT SKI INJURY REQUIRES ONGOING PHYSICAL THERAPY, DOCTOR FOLLOW UPS, ETC.
SO AFTER FIVE MONTHS, AIG FINALLY PAID THE EXPENSES INCURRED DURING THE ONE WEEK OF COVERAGE. WE HAVE HAD MANY OTHER EXPENSES SINCE THEN, THE MOST EXTENSIVE BEING PHYSICAL THERAPY WHICH IS STILL ONGOING.
IS THERE ANY RECOURSE FOR REIMBURSEMENT OF THESE EXPENSES FROM EITHER AIG OR VAIL, SINCE VAIL PROVIDED THE INSURANCE IN A SOMEWHAT INAPPROPRIATE MANNER?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with MV - you should have at least received an email with the policy to print and take with you. The first phone call if something happens when you travel should be the insurance company.

I don’t understand what you mean by the agent telling you she couldn’t send it or hold the reservation. Didn’t you get an email confirmation?

Also, please don’t post in caps. It implies shouting and is difficult to read.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why didn't your health insurance cover the additional costs once you were home?
My question as well. The only thing that should be put in for payment are bills you at the hospital while you were away. The insurance is not for when you get home - coverage ends on the day you return home, it does not continue after that regardless of whethe ryou buy a separate policy or in a hotel package. That is why there is a beginning date and an end date for your policy.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Possibly, they did not have a health insurance policy on which to fall back.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Well travel insurance doesn't make up for that. A travel policy is only in effect on the dates you travel, not after even if it is due to something that happened during the trip. The coverage ends on the date you return home.
I get that but maybe OP did not understand that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The OP wanted travel insurance with medical covered up to a year for follow up treatment after the trip. Does that even exist?
Not that I am aware of. But it seems the OP might have had that in the past.

I’m curious what company offered this because if there is a policy like that it’s good to know.

She is correct about one thing- a hotel reservation agent is not an insurance salesperson and is actually forbidden by law to discuss what is and isn’t covered by a policy. They needed to refer the OP to the insurance company to ask questions.

Feb 3, 2017
I've never had to use my travel insurance - but, if I am injured or struck by a serious illness while on the trip and the return date home needs to be extended as I need further care or a later flight home, etc - is that not covered by the policies?

I would expect that once I am back home that future medical care would be covered by my own insurance but if accident or illness happens - for example - the day before my trip is scheduled to end, I (maybe ignorantly) assumed the travel insurance would cover the care as needed if unable to return home because of it.

I know every policy is different but each one I have purchased, this is how I understood the coverage for medical care when reading terms and conditions and speaking with representatives of each policy I bought - I buy it specifically for medical coverage for that just in case serious episode that can happen in life.

Is it really a dead end at the date of return regardless of such possible above scenarios?

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you Neil I hope the OP comes back and tells us about past policies.

I still learn so much here from the experiences of others — good and bad experiences.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've never had to use my travel insurance - but, if I am injured or struck by a serious illness while on the trip and the return date home needs to be extended as I need further care or a later flight home, etc - is that not covered by the policies?

I would expect that once I am back home that future medical care would be covered by my own insurance but if accident or illness happens - for example - the day before my trip is scheduled to end, I (maybe ignorantly) assumed the travel insurance would cover the care as needed if unable to return home because of it.

I know every policy is different but each one I have purchased, this is how I understood the coverage for medical care when reading terms and conditions and speaking with representatives of each policy I bought - I buy it specifically for medical coverage for that just in case serious episode that can happen in life.

Is it really a dead end at the date of return regardless of such possible above scenarios?
That is a question you need to ask the insurance company you ate considering. Do you mean if something happens while you are traveling and your return home is delayed possibly due to being hospitalized on your trip? I would think this is automatically covered until you return home depending on the policy but don’t work for a travel insurance company.

I can tell you we had a client evacuated off a cruise ship with a heart attack and brought to a hospital in S America and hospitalized for two weeks. His insurance covered it all including his return flight home so he was way beyond the end date of his policy.

Feb 3, 2017
Yes, that is the sort of situation I meant; I have talked to the insurance agent for every policy I have ever purchased that includes this coverage but your comment about it ending the day of trip concluding (per the date on the policy) made me wonder if I have been misunderstanding them.

I've since gone back and looked over my communications with each and it is as you described and as I understood it. Whew!

But, yes, everyone needs to check their policies carefully -

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Very good points. This illustrates perfectly why I use an insurance broker for travel insurance.

Jan 28, 2019
I, personally, have never seen a travel policy that provided anything upon return home.
I have however, seen some lovely extensive personal, regular health insurance that covered while traveling in the U.S, Canada and Mexico. And also reimbursed for shipboard medical attention not requiring evacuation of trip interruption.
Know your policy first hand is the answer.