Vacation Rental - security deposit confusion

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2018
we rented a cabin thru an agency and everything went smoothly except when it was time for security deposit. Apparently, this company charges a processing fee when it processes a security deposit. So we were charged $208 ($200 security deposit + $8 processing fee). Since we left the place in the same condition we found it, the security deposit will be returned in full but the processing fee is not refundable. The company is claiming that everyone is charging processing fees on security deposits, i haven't experienced that before. What is the word? it's not a large fee but in this case it's the principal of the matter that is bothering me. The company already charged processing fee on the rental and it's another way for them to make extra income.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We need to see the contract you signed when you booked the rental. Can you post a copy? Or give us a link to the company? If it is shown on their website - there is nothing you can do, it is disclosed and you booked. If it is not in the agreement or on the agencies website in their terms and conditions - then you have a different story.

Sometimes a deal isn't a deal when you look at the entire transaction.

Sep 19, 2015
we rented a cabin thru an agency and everything went smoothly except when it was time for security deposit. Apparently, this company charges a processing fee when it processes a security deposit. So we were charged $208 ($200 security deposit + $8 processing fee). Since we left the place in the same condition we found it, the security deposit will be returned in full but the processing fee is not refundable. The company is claiming that everyone is charging processing fees on security deposits, i haven't experienced that before. What is the word? it's not a large fee but in this case it's the principal of the matter that is bothering me. The company already charged processing fee on the rental and it's another way for them to make extra income.
Did you pay by credit card? This sounds like a credit card processing fee (4%).

Dec 17, 2018
Why would they charge a processing fee on the amount that is refundable? It's just another way for them to make extra fees

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Why would they charge a processing fee on the amount that is refundable? It's just another way for them to make extra fees
If you paid by credit card, they are charged a fee by the bank to process the transaction regardless if its refundable. Being able to use a credit card is a convenience for the customer, not the business. No reason for the business to eat those fees.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since the OP isn’t giving us the information we need to assist to see if the terms stated this information, we can’t really do much more.

If the contract or terms you agreed to by renting through the company state that the fee will be charged, there is nothing you can do about it.

If it wasn’t stated-we can try to help.

Please let us know -I can see you have been checking the thread but haven’t told us anything which leads me to believe it was stated in your agreement.