Company you have a question or comment about: HomeAway.Com and Grand Welcome
I rented a vacation home on HomeAway.com for 4 nights in Honolulu, HI (Mar. 26 - Mar. 30, 2019). 6 senior citizen women stayed in the house for our high school reunion. As soon as I posted a negative review of the vacation rental, the management company (Grand Welcome) took the rental off of the HomeAway website but it is still on VRBO. The home is called Diamond Head Tiki Estate, Honolulu, HI.
Below are the problems we encountered with the rental:
The Studio Apt.:
1) One of the guests stepped on a piece of glass in the shower stall and cut her foot.
2) The bedroom and bathroom were dark because light bulbs were.
3) The shower was either cold of tepid.
4) The bathroom sink stopper got stuck in the closed position so we had to remove the stopper to prevent the sink from overflowing.
5) TV did not work.
1) Bedroom smelled like mildew.
2) Bathroom tiles had mold.
3) Missing a bathmat in the tub, and one guest almost slipped and fell. We had to use a towel in the tub for a bathmat.
4) Only bathroom with hot water for showers, so all of the guests had use in the master bath if they wanted a hot shower.
1) A noise sporadically emanated from the hall toilet, disturbing the sleep of guests in the 2nd bedroom. (We have a recording of the noise).
2) The shower was either cold of tepid.
3) TV did not work, could not get reception.
Two guests got locked in the bathroom. The guests simply closed the door and found it locked when they attempted to exit. The door could not be unlocked from the inside. They had to exit to the outside to get out of the bathroom.
The house was advertised with AC, so it was very disappointing to find that it did not extend to the living room. The living area was hot and stuffy unless the sliding doors were open, which allowed insects to fly in. The fan did not sufficiently keep the room cool. The living room screens were not useful because they did not pull out easily and did not extend far enough to cover the open doors.
Had I known AC was limited to the bedrooms, I wouldn’t have rented the house.
I am requesting a refund of the $60.00 fee for early entry. We arrived at 3:45 p.m. and check in time was 4:00pm. We had difficulties opening the lockbox. It took about 30 minutes to open the lock box and 2 calls to Michelle Look from the Grand Welcome management company to finally figure out how to open the lockbox. Instructions should have been provided.
2) The contract clearly states that the departure time is at 11:00 am. On the morning of Mar. 30th, I received a voicemail advising me that my party should have exited by 10:00 a.m. We just happended to leave by 10:00am but they still charged my credit card a late exit fee.
I was then charged $60.00 for the late departure. All but one of the guests departed before 10:00 a.m. and the last guest exited at 11:00 a.m., but was waiting for her Uber ride outside the property with her bags when the housekeeper arrived. (She observed the housekeeper also had a lot of difficulty opening the lockbox.) To charge $60.00 for a late departure is unreasonable.
3) All the bathrooms ran out of toilet paper and we had to go out and buy our own.
4) After the first night, I called Michelle Look about some of the above issues and her response was only to say she “walked through the house 6 times”. Apparently, simply “walking through” is not sufficient. Perhaps turning on a light switch might be more proactive.
Our stay at this property fell well short of our expectations. We should not have to endure a lack of hot water and toilet paper, bathroom noises, disturbed sleep, a dark bedroom, getting trapped in the bathroom, and glass in the shower floor, etc.
This was a trip I had planned for my guests and looked forward to for over six months. It was disappointing and embarrassing to host them in a house that was so lacking in comfort and amenities.
Finally, everyone in my party are seniors and I’m concerned that many of the problems identified poses safety hazards and we were lucky no one was seriously injured.
What's your desired resolution?
Due to these issue, we feel we should get at 50% refund ($2,920.15) which we requested from Michelle Look and Homeaway but have not heard anything back.
I am requesting a refund for the following:
Rental fee: 2,800.15. (50%)
Early entry fee: $ 60.00
Late departure fee: $ 60.00
Total Refund: $2,920.15
Date of transaction/travel date: Mar. 26 Arrival and Mar. 30 check -out
By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.
Referred by: I read your newspaper column.
Note- edited by moderator to remove case number.
Last edited by a moderator: