Vacation Express

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 10, 2015
I had a vacation booked through Vacation Express October 8-15 2015. Paid
$ 970.00 down and had to cancel due to financial reasons September 6 2015.
When I called them they said they would refund $ 720.00 because of a cancellation fee of $ 250.00 and would refund the funds back to my credit card. I waited and nothing was returned.
Again when I called they stated there would be no refund, they told me there were cancellation fees and penalties they would have to pay to Delta and the resort in Jamaica.
I contacted Delta and the resort in Jamaica and cancelled them myself and asked both about cancellation charges and fees and they both said there were none.
Another call to Vacation Express and they then stated they would only refund $ 250.00. I told them No that they need to refund either the total amount or I'll accept the $ 720.00 they refuse to do anything. Then the tell me in another call No Refund.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
When you booked your trip initially what confirmation and Terms & Conditions did you receive ? The cancellation terms should have been disclosed fully at that time.
To cancel airline flights on Delta, 4 weeks prior to departure at best may have gotten you a credit (minus a change fee) did Delta put your cancellation and "refund" in writing? Airlines as a rule do NOT give refunds. I can possibly see the hotel allowing a cancellation.
Take a look at your initial paperwork in regards to the Cancellation policy for your trip. Delta for sure is an issue.

Oct 10, 2015
I read the terms and conditions everything was done correctly and a they was going to refund $ 720.00 out of the $970.00 I put down on the vacation. I was paying the $ 250.00 cancellation fee. I contacted Delta and the Resort in Jamaica and both were able to cancel no problem with no fees or penalties. Vacation Express is a scam. I even asked them to put the money down on a different trip for a later date when things would be better they said No. Their a scam outfit in Atlanta, GA
I even ask to speak to someone in their corporate office and the give you run a round saying there's no one there to speak to.
Yes Delta emailed confirmation email and the resort did the same

Last edited:
I hope you have the names of everyone you spoke with at Vacation Express. If you do you should compose a letter stating your case simply and naming the person who originally said you'd get $720. back. I agree with @JVillegirl541 that getting a refund of the airline portion will be difficult.

The airline and hotel may not have cancellation fees but that's very different from providing a full refund of $$ paid.

Vacation Express is now owned by Sunwing Travel Group (Canada), but Vacation Express is a separate Corporation. According to the Georgia Secretary of State the office address is: ELEVEN PIEDMONT CENTRE, 3495 PIEDMONT ROAD N.E. SUITE 400, Atlanta, GA, 30305. The registered agent is Gantt Cookson at the same address.

Also, the VE website has a customer care email address, supposedly for pre-vacation inquiries: [email protected]

and there's also an email address for post-travel communications: [email protected]

Put your phone away and start writing letters and emails.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Bernard Z. could you provide a bit more detail about the Delta cancellation, maybe post your confirmation email? Delta can cancel no problem, but that doesn't mean they plan to refund your money. Usually, as stated earlier, it would issue you a credit with the change fee deducted that you have one year to use. The good news is, in my experience with Delta, it has been willing to issue the credit and waive the change fee. I have had that done both over the phone and via a message portal on the Delta website. The portal is for refund requests. I would submit that and you will receive an email reply from an actual person. If you explain the hardship, they may issue you the credit without a fee. A refund would probably be more tricky, but at least you can use it airfare for your next trip.
As for the vacation company, i assume they told you they could refund on the phone but didn't back that up in email, is that right?

Sep 28, 2015
@Bernard Z. could you provide a bit more detail about the Delta cancellation, maybe post your confirmation email? Delta can cancel no problem, but that doesn't mean they plan to refund your money. Usually, as stated earlier, it would issue you a credit with the change fee deducted that you have one year to use. The good news is, in my experience with Delta, it has been willing to issue the credit and waive the change fee. I have had that done both over the phone and via a message portal on the Delta website. The portal is for refund requests. I would submit that and you will receive an email reply from an actual person. If you explain the hardship, they may issue you the credit without a fee. A refund would probably be more tricky, but at least you can use it airfare for your next trip.
As for the vacation company, i assume they told you they could refund on the phone but didn't back that up in email, is that right?
From the original post, it's difficult to determine exactly what is going on. But let's break it down with some specific questions.

1. How many people were booked? Was it just you or you and someone else?

2. Exactly where were you staying in Jamaica?

3. What was the package? What was the quoted price?

4. The change fee for a non-US based ticket on Delta is $200-$500 (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/ticket-changes-refunds/ticket-changes.html). Unless you bought a fully refundable ticket (and for that price there's no way you could have) or there was a schedule change, you're going to be paying a fee just to change the ticket (and no, they aren't giving you a refund either - that's just the fee to use the leftover part within 1 year). So I'm not exactly buying the story that Delta said they'd refund the money without penalty (if that's what you're claiming since the original post is difficult to understand).

5. Looking at the Terms and Conditions (http://www.vacationexpress.com/terms/), it's pretty clear. Here's the Hotel cancellation policy - "If cancellation is made 31-44 days prior to departure then a charge equal to 50% of package price will apply". Here's the Airfare policy - "Once scheduled air tickets are issued, no changes are allowed. Scheduled air tickets are non-refundable.".

To make a long story short, without some other specific details provided by the OP it appears that Vacation Express is well within the terms and conditions to keep the money. Nor are those conditions somehow outside of industry norms or otherwise unreasonable.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Maybe our client purchased Travel Protection as mentioned in the T & C or from an outside Travel Insurance provider??
I was pretty sure those T & C would spell out the cancellation terms ;(

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I have a feeling he didn't. I am terrible about purchasing insurance and never do after 2 failed claims, even though I know I should. I was thinking that he could at least salvage the delta part and maybe the hotel, independent of dealing with the travel company since he has seemed to have lost faith with them anyway. Delta is usually very understanding about that fee.

Aug 28, 2015
Vacation Express is a very well know wholesaler of vacation packages, and one of their key bases is Atlanta. VE is not fly by night, and they also sell through Travel Agents and do pay commissions. They have different programs, and 3 different tiers of pricing, including offering a consumer payment option for an extra fee. This can get confusing as to when to make a payment, and not to lose the money. This is a possible situation that happened here.
It would be necessary to see the reservation, with all personal info blocked out to understan the proper refund and how it is being calculated.
Wholesalers of vacation packages do not refund each component individually. It is not applicable how Delta would handle a cancelation when a ticket is brought directly through Delta, nor is it applicable to look up a hotel cancel policy and apply that cancel policy.
Bernard must refer to the details and the cancellation policies of the package that he purchased in order to determine the correct refund.
If Bernard disagrees with that amount, then he can start a letter writing campaign, but VE is unlikely to budge in my experience, and they do follow their policies.
They also sell a very good cancelation insurance policy which I hope was purchased, but it appears not to be. Would be good to have all the details to assist.

Oct 10, 2015
I cancelled within all of the T and C and within the criteria of those terms. I even tried to reschedule for a later date. When VE CS tells you they'll work with you then tells you there is a $ 250.00 cancellation and they'll refund the remaining funds no questions asked. Then tell you no refund, and finally they'll only refund $ 250.00 Run a round. Bells and whistles .

Oct 10, 2015
When you booked your trip initially what confirmation and Terms & Conditions did you receive ? The cancellation terms should have been disclosed fully at that time.
To cancel airline flights on Delta, 4 weeks prior to departure at best may have gotten you a credit (minus a change fee) did Delta put your cancellation and "refund" in writing? Airlines as a rule do NOT give refunds. I can possibly see the hotel allowing a cancellation.
Take a look at your initial paperwork in regards to the Cancellation policy for your trip. Delta for sure is an issue.
All the i's and t's were done

Aug 28, 2015
I cancelled within all of the T and C and within the criteria of those terms. I even tried to reschedule for a later date. When VE CS tells you they'll work with you then tells you there is a $ 250.00 cancellation and they'll refund the remaining funds no questions asked. Then tell you no refund, and finally they'll only refund $ 250.00 Run a round. Bells and whistles .
It is necessary to see the reservation, with all personal info blocked out to understand how to assist you. Delta can not assist you when you have a vacation package and that perhaps could have caused a miscommunication to VE, and a muddle of your refund, especially if Delta allowed you to somehow cancel the airfare under your package. It is also likely that your insurance coverage was not a "cancel for any reason" and would not assist you in this situation. Please provide some hard copy data for further assistance. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We sell Vacation Express and have never had a problem with them. Air is never fully refundable when purchased. You probably have a credit with Delta you can use less a cancellation penalty.
I think you may be misunderstanding the Terms and Conditions.
Your dates are confusing. Were you supposed to travel Oct. 8? What was the date you made your initial deposit? Did you purchase their insurance? You canceled Sept. 6 so a little over a month. But air is never refundable unless you purchased insurance.

Here is what the t and c say about air:

Scheduled Air Cancellations & Changes: Airfares may carry advance purchase requirements and are subject to change until ticketed. There are no fees for airfare cancellations made within 24 hours of purchase. Regular cancellation penalties will apply to the hotel portion of scheduled air bookings. Once scheduled air tickets are issued, no changes are allowed. Scheduled air tickets are non-refundable. Rebooking scheduled air if airline permits rebooking, with an airline imposed change fee, is possible if the reservation is cancelled with the airlines at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time. If purchasing a vacation package with a departure date of 46 days or more, clients have the option of purchasing a Reduced Deposit Plan (RDP) for just $10 fee plus a $225 deposit for a total of $235 per person. This RDP secures the clients’ air and hotel booking for a total of $235 per person (plus the optional trip insurance, if purchased). If clients cancel their trip 45 days or more prior to departure, the RDP fee and deposit are non-refundable. If clients cancel their trip 44 days or less prior to departure, normal cancellation penalties apply. All airline cancel and change policies are subject to change without notice.

And hotel packages:

Hotel Package Cancellation: For most hotels, a $100 charge per person will apply if the cancellation is made 45 days prior to departure. If cancellation is made 31-44 days prior to departure then a charge equal to 50% of package price will apply. If cancellation is made 30 days or less prior to departure then a charge equal to 100% of package price will apply. If final payment is not received 45 days prior to departure then the Operator has the right to cancel your reservation and retain applicable charges.