Used United Card for Avis auto rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 10, 2018
Hi,
First post so please forgive if wrong group.
I rented a car in Switzerland through Avis. I did not have an accident. I parked my rental in a parking garage in Lausanne the night before returning to Geneva. When I returned the car they noticed a broken tail light but no other damage. Avis has a list of repair costs in their computers so automatically charged me 238 Swiss Francs to repair the taillight. Upon return to the states the next day I filed a claim with Card Benefit Services Claim Department. They have been back and forth with me asking for the impossible. They want a detailed Avis Damage Statement, Prepaid Auto Rental with billing statement, Demand Letter and a Billing statement showing the charge. All of that was submitted as soon as they requested. Now after 2 months they come back and ask for an Itemized Statement of repairs or a Final Bill.
Avis charged me on the spot so I don't have anything other than the charge they gave me which I submitted along with the actual monthly statement where the charge shows up.
What more can I possibly send, there is no itemized statement.
Many thanks, I am so frustrated
Pat

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Pat, I think we all understand your frustration. It's important to understand that most insurance companies' approach to paying claims is to keep asking for information over and over, wait a good bit of time before asking for something, pretend they don't understand what you sent them ... anything they can do to make you give up and go away. Your job is to be polite, patient and persistent. Good luck!

Nov 10, 2018
Thanks jsn55, I am trying to be patient. I first filed the claim on Sept 14th so it's nearly two months. They say it takes 2-5 business days to review what I send in but it's taking more like 3 weeks before they ask for something else. I know patience is a virtue but it's one I need to work on:)

Nov 10, 2018
Update
They are making it impossible to pay the claim. Avis sent me the papers regarding the repair written from Geneva - that should have been all they needed. I submitted them Nov 18th. Now, today they come back and say I need photos. Three months pass and this is the first time they ask for photos which I do not have. They are making it impossible to settle this small claim. They also mention again that it takes 2-5 days to review what I submit, it has taken 2-3 weeks every time.
Is there any other solution to this?
Many thanks
Pat

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Update
They are making it impossible to pay the claim. Avis sent me the papers regarding the repair written from Geneva - that should have been all they needed. I submitted them Nov 18th. Now, today they come back and say I need photos. Three months pass and this is the first time they ask for photos which I do not have. They are making it impossible to settle this small claim. They also mention again that it takes 2-5 days to review what I submit, it has taken 2-3 weeks every time.
Is there any other solution to this?
Many thanks
Pat
Yes Ask for Photos! That is a complete reasonable request for an Insurance Claim. You need multiple photos.

Nov 10, 2018
PS....shouldn't they have asked for photos in the beginning, why 3 months later? I didn't take a photo as it was in an underground parking garage when we returned the car. The person who accepted the car did not take a photo while we were there, we are talking about less than $250 regarding this claim. Had it been something more we surely would have taken photos. I did write to Avis and request photos but I think if they had them they would have sent them to me already. Very frustrating and I will never get multiple photos of one small tail light!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Pat, please read my post above again. What they are doing is what they always do. If they want photos, ask for photos. If Avis has no photos, tell the insurance company that. Wait for a response. They will literally play you like a fish until you give up. Just soldier on, deal with whatever they want one by one. Don't give up, then they win another one.

Nov 10, 2018
Thanks jsn55 - I did read it, I know I need patience but going on 3 months is a bit to handle. I did request the photos from Avis tonight and I will get back to them with that email. Thanks for your help....I won't give up...thanks

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thrilled for you, Pat. Sometimes the time it takes to follow our path gets you down, but it almost always is successful. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.