UPS Problem

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 20, 2019
I am having continuing issues with UPS. Currently I have a package
that needs to be picked up. Unfortunately UPS puts false information
on the tracking page. This confuses the shipper & in turn causes me
additional problems. The item I have to be picked up right now is
tracking number xxxxxxxx. “It shows Held for Customer Pickup
Per the receiver's request, the package is being held for pickup.
Pickup must be made within 5 business days.” This is completely
untrue. The package is not even at the UPS facility in Mattoon IL. Per
Maddy Mullin’s request at UPS I have given my alternate apartment
address but packages still do not get delivered or picked up.

On 12-29-2017 UPS delivery driver Matt Downs was supposed to pick up a
defective TV that was completely boxed & ready to go with a pre-paid
pick up label from Amazon. I was assured throughout the day by UPS
customer service the tv would be picked up. UPS told me I had to be
home on 12-29-2017. I was here the whole day. Matt Downs did not pick
up my defective TV & I missed a day of work & lost $300 in income.
Amazon had to make arrangements for FedEx to pick up the TV the next
day (Saturday 12-30-2017). I did what UPS asked me to do. On
01-02-2018 Matt Downs showed up at my house for what reason I do not
know. I told Matt Downs never to come on my property again. I called
the local UPS facility & asked for a different driver. Also Throughout
2017 Matt Downs repeatedly threw packages on my porch & had no regard
for their contents. I have been at this same address since 2000 &
never had an issue until 2017. My previous UPS drivers have always
been great. Matt Downs made an erroneous claim to Chad Baker stating I
threatened him which I did not do. This is not something I would ever
do. While Chad Baker gave me his phone on my voicemail I have never
been able to get in contact with Chad. I have called several times &
spoke with Selicia. She states she leaves messages for Chad to call me
but to no avail. Chad Baker has red flagged my account. I do not
understand how I can be red flagged without even giving my side of the
story.

I have had 2 packages of plants that did not get delivered & died at
the Mattoon UPS facility. While I do my best to have packages sent via
other carriers inevitably this will happen again. I have had a part
for my washer that did not get delivered. My daughter’s books also
did not get delivered. I had a box of ammo that I had to have sent to
another address. I did have the ammo delivered to an FFL in Kansas IL;
however this was at an inconvenience to me. My FFL person Sid Justice
explained to me that while he accepted the ammo only the person with
the FOID card on file can receive the ammo. So this is an illegality
on UPS’s part. When I had the issue with the ammo & spoke with
Michelle at UPS in Mattoon in April she stated as long as Matt Downs
was my delivery driver they can’t deliver to me. Matt Downs is no
longer the driver. We have no way of going to the UPS facility as it
is 60 miles one way 120 miles round trip. The facility is only open
from 4pm to 6:30pm & are closed on weekends. I work during those hours
& my days off are weekends. UPS asked for an alternate address for
deliveries. Our apartment address is xxxxxxxxxx
Dennison, IL 62423. Additionally we also order from Amazon while
Amazon has it set on my account to ship FedEx or USPS for small items.
Unfortunately FedEx will end ground deliveries for Amazon at the end
of August.

My friend Greg Lamb xxxxxxx works out of the same UPS facility if
you need a character witness. Matt Downs is no longer the UPS driver &
I have no issues with the new driver. He drives by my house everyday &
through ½ mile of my property. Currently the county line road has a
bridge out. This road has been closed since April so the driver now
goes by my house almost every day. There simply is no reason he can’t
drop off packages at my house. He also waves as he goes by.

I have contacted the local General Manager Phillip Morgan by phone
(Phone: 217-235-3134 Address: UPS 2209 S. 14th St. Mattoon, IL 61938).
He stated to me he was going to contact Chad Baker (Phone:
xxxxxxxxxx Address: UPS 5380 West 81st St. Indianapolis, IN 46268)
to have deliveries sent to my home. Chad Baker did call me & left his
number but I have never been able to get in touch with him. I have
spoken with Selicia 3 times at xxxxxxx & once to Tammy Bailey at
xxxxxxxc. They state they will have Chad call me back but he never
does so I have never once been able to give my side of the story.
Whatever Matt Downs told Chad Baker is completely untrue. Matt Downs
apparently did not like he job as he was always unfriendly, failed to
pick up packages & threw packages on my porch. In the previous 16
years I lived here I never once had an issue until 2017.

Since my income is less than $4000 per month & I am also an honorably
discharged veteran I did contact The Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid
Network xxxxxxxxHe told me to me send a certified letter to
Phillip Morgan & Chad Baker asking them to remove the red flag. I did
so immediately. (USPS Tracking Numbers xxxxxxx&
xxxxxxxx.) Unfortunately I never heard back from either
person. While the attorney was very nice at IL-AFLAN he stated he can
only give advice.

Sincerely,
William Forster

Note- edited by moderator to remove tracking numbers and phone numbers irrelevant to the problem for OP.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
Let me see if I have the chronology

Friday 12/29 -- UPS driver does not show up to pick up TV
Saturday 12/30 -- TV picked up by Fed Ex
Sunday 12/31 --
Monday 1/1-- legal holiday
Tuesday 1/2 -- UPS driver shows up on the next business day after missing the Friday pickup
UPS driver is told:

01-02-2018 Matt Downs showed up at my house for what reason I do not
know. I told Matt Downs never to come on my property again.

UPS driver does not step on property as per instructions of owner.

Telling someone to never come on the property is a strong reaction for a driver missing a pick up during the busy holiday period and at a time when the other was often unpleasant. UPS may not have given the driver advance warning to pick up the tv -- or maybe there was a traffic accident-- who knows. It was poor service to miss the pickup but once someone is told to never come on the property again they are likely to honor it and perhaps other drivers want to avoid an altercation.

Jan 6, 2015
You seem to have come full circle with UPS. In 2017 there were multiple issues, but since then you have a driver whom you like (drives thru your property and waves). Now that it is 2019, what do you want from UPS?
  • Reimbursement for your plants, books, and part for your washer
  • Reimbursement for your lost income ($300)
  • The ammo delivered
  • The red flag removed
Please specify if you would . . .

Sep 19, 2015
You seem to have come full circle with UPS. In 2017 there were multiple issues, but since then you have a driver whom you like (drives thru your property and waves). Now that it is 2019, what do you want from UPS?
  • Reimbursement for your plants, books, and part for your washer
  • Reimbursement for your lost income ($300)
  • The ammo delivered
  • The red flag removed
Please specify if you would . . .
I think UPS is still not delivering to the address after the OP forbade the driver to step on the property in January 2018.

Jan 6, 2015
I think UPS is still not delivering to the address after the OP forbade the driver to step on the property in January 2018.
I thought so too, until he said "Matt Downs is no longer the UPS driver & I have no issues with the new driver. He drives by my house everyday &
through ½ mile of my property. "

That seems to say that he has a new "UPS" driver . . .

Aug 20, 2019
[B]Christina H[/B] I understand what you are saying. I shouldn't have forbade the driver from coming on my property. If I had a do over I wouldn't have done that. That said I certainly did not threaten the driver; moreover he has no proof that I did. My mom had died in late November 2017 & I had already exhausted my bereavement time, holiday time etc to take care of her estate & funeral. When I took off work on the 12-29-2017 not only did I lose pay that day which was time & half for the holiday week, but I also had to take a point. The company I work for works on a point system. I also want to say Amazon has for my had great customer service. The Customer Service lady went out of her way to do a 3 way call. She called the local facility. The facility stated the TV would be picked up no later than 7pm. This was around 5pm Central Time. She asked for the drivers number. She called the driver while I was on the phone. She explained to the driver there was a call tag for this TV to be picked up. She asked the driver to please pick up the TV, he replied by saying he wasn't going to & hung up. This was not the first time the driver did not pick up an item but all other times I could simply leave the item on my back porch. With this TV I had to be here for the pickup. This (Matt Downs) driver had been nothing but rude & unprofessional during 2017. He was my delivery driver for a very short time. He replaced my previous driver sometime in 2017 & stopped being a UPS driver in May 2019. He is now a semi-truck driver for UPS. I have a new driver. I do not know his name but he seems very friendly & I have no issues with him. I would like to reiterate in the 16 years prior to 2017 I never had one issue with any driver. They were always very personable & professional.

[B]VoR61[/B] Sorry my long rambling letter it is probably not very understandable. I simply want UPS to deliver to my home. I live in a rural area so there isn't a lot of options to pick up or drop off packages. The UPS driver does go by my house Monday through Friday. Yes it would be great if UPS did reimburse me for my loss wages but I don't expect that.

Thank you for responding. I really hope I can get this resolved. Hiring an attorney isn't really feasible for me right now as I am putting my daughter through 4 years of nursing school.

Jan 6, 2015
[B]VoR61[/B] Sorry my long rambling letter it is probably not very understandable. I simply want UPS to deliver to my home. I live in a rural area so there isn't a lot of options to pick up or drop off packages. The UPS driver does go by my house Monday through Friday. Yes it would be great if UPS did reimburse me for my loss wages but I don't expect that.
Neil posted the UPS contacts page in post #2. Write to them and ask politely to have the the "red flag" removed.

I going to suggest strongly that you be contrite in your email(s). While your anger is understandable, you must set it aside and focus on the restoration of service. In my opinion, when I read that you told Matt to get out and stay out, you crossed a line. Instead, you should have contacted your local UPS location and asked for a manager. Explain what has occurred and give the manager an opportunity to resolve the issue in your favor.

If that does not work, you can then escalate. Politeness, even and especially in the face of behavior that offends, wins every time.

Be clear in your commitment to do this going forward. As you hopefully learned in this case, you need them FAR more than they need you.

Best wishes for success . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Ecofina I would be lying if I stated that I never lost my temper and said something overly harsh.

You have given us a context— UPS management does not have that context .

Follow what VoR61 wrote — be apologetic and say you realize the words were inappropriate and that you were stressed— do not make it an excuse but a mitigating circumstance.

Keep the letter short

Perhaps post a draft here for suggestions before sending it.

Jan 17, 2019
I can identify with the OP; I've had issues with both UPS and FedEx.

Last year I had ordered an item 2 day delivery that was shipped through FedEx. I followed the shipment through the FedEx tracking system, and was given a delivery time between 1 and 8 PM on the delivery date. The FedEx truck usually comes through my neighborhood at around 3 PM, so from 2 PM on I sat out on my front patio to read and wait for the delivery.

At 4 PM I got a delivery update text saying that delivery had been attempted, but no one was home. I called FedEx immediately and told them I had been outside waiting, and had never even seen the truck. They assured me the package would be delivered the next day.

Next day, same situation. I sat outside and read all afternoon, again got a text that delivery had been attempted but no on was at home. Again I called FedEx, and was told I'd get it the next day. Same thing happened. This time I called the local FedEx warehouse office (the help center really didn't want to give me that number, but I insisted.)

They told me my package was "on the truck." I asked them for the location of the truck, thinking possibly I could meet the truck somewhere. I was on hold for 5 minutes, then they told me the truck was loaded and in the warehouse, and hadn't left the property for the past three days. Said "maybe they'll dispatch it tomorrow, maybe not."

I ended up driving 60 miles round trip in rush hour traffic to the warehouse. Never got so much as an apology from FedEx. Nor an offer of a refund for the two day delivery I had paid for. I wasn't going to ask the vendor for the refund; it wasn't their fault. But now I request some other shipment possible if at all possible.

Aug 20, 2019
I also should clarify while I did forbid Matt Downs from coming on my property. When my ammunition was being held at the local UPS facility in Mattoon IL. I called & spoke with Supervisor Michelle I told her I wanted to let bygones be bygones & Matt Downs had full permission to come on my property. She stated to me as long as Matt Downs was my driver UPS would not deliver to me home. Within a few weeks of that call Matt Downs was no longer my driver.

Aug 20, 2019
Yes I have. I have tried to resolve the issue by sending out several nice respectful letters to David Abney but no response. I was able to get in contact with someone at the Georgia 404 number & I stated I had sent in several letters to David Abney. The lady I spoke with stated David Abney doesn't actually read those letters & they are given to customer service. I have tried to go through the Illinois Attorney Generals office, the Georgia Consumer Protection Division & the Better Business Bureau. All 3 times we get the same response from Paralegal Maddy Mullin at the corporate office stating "it has been determined by local management that packages can't be delivered to William Forster's address". When I contact the Peoria Better Business Bureau that covers my area they immediately send my letter to the Better Business Bureau in Georgia. I have asked them to please send my complaint to the UPS facility in Mattoon IL however they tell me that must send my complaint to the BBB in GA. I also asked the same when I filed a compliant with Illinois Attorney Generals office however they also sent my complaint to the corporate office. I have spoken to the General Manager at the local UPS facility twice. The last time we spoke in July 2019 he stated he was going to contact Chad Baker in Indianapolis to try & have the red flag removed. I have tried to contact Chad Baker to no avail. The advice given to me by the attorney at the The Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid was to send both Chad Baker & Phillip Morgan a certified letter. I sent both a certified letter on 08/05/2019 & 08/06/2019 but no response. Apparently only Chad Baker UPS 5380 West 81st St. Indianapolis, IN 46268 can remove the red flag from my account. Certainly if I could get a hold of someone higher up in the company they could remove the red flag but unfortunately I have not been able to do so.

Aug 20, 2019
Christina H & VoR61: I will write a letter. You or whoever reads this letter on this forum can help me make suggestion or corrections.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Aug 20, 2019
"Our process is NOT to go to the top executive- start at the bottom and work your way up one at a time. If the CEO refuses to help you have exhausted all avenues." I certainly agree & that is why I have started by contacting the General Manager Phillip Morgan & also Chad Baker. I do not know whether or not the CEO refuses to help as he does not read my letters. As stated when I contact the Georgia 404 UPS number the customer service person there tells me that the CEO doesn't read the letters & the letters are given to customer service.