UPS Fraud

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2019
My Dad was scammed and told to send money through UPS. I (his daughter) found out in time and tracked the packages down through UPS. We were able to stop delivery as I was told. A few days later when I called to follow up on the packages/cash being mailed back they told us they had delivered it. The envelopes had a lot of cash in it. The story is a lot more detailed and leads me to believe UPS has someone working on the inside for the scammers. They have taken no ownership on this matter, essentially said We're sorry, packages shouldn't have gone out and that's it. Very frustrating situation. Especially after being told the packages would be returned. When I found out the package was delivered. I wrote an email and got a phone call from a customer relations person. She said the second the shipper calls to get the package back, it should be sent back right away. I shouldn't have had to call them the 15+ times in the first place to get them to send the packages back. They have records of my calls as they were all recorded. Any time I try to talk to a high up at UPS. I'm told they don't have the information, or I'm toggled between the Canadian and International side. Please Help

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you brought this to the attention of Canadian law enforcement?

We have company contacts for UPS.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ups/

Stop calling and start emailing. This is how to escalate to Executives- one at a time, once a week.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

This is the second report we’ve had in a week about scammers who have gotten over on people. I urge anyone reading this to talk to family members especially the elderly, and teach them about these scams so they don’t fall victim to them.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My Dad was scammed and told to send money through UPS. I (his daughter) found out in time and tracked the packages down through UPS. We were able to stop delivery as I was told. A few days later when I called to follow up on the packages/cash being mailed back they told us they had delivered it. The envelopes had a lot of cash in it. The story is a lot more detailed and leads me to believe UPS has someone working on the inside for the scammers. They have taken no ownership on this matter, essentially said We're sorry, packages shouldn't have gone out and that's it. Very frustrating situation. Especially after being told the packages would be returned. When I found out the package was delivered. I wrote an email and got a phone call from a customer relations person. She said the second the shipper calls to get the package back, it should be sent back right away. I shouldn't have had to call them the 15+ times in the first place to get them to send the packages back. They have records of my calls as they were all recorded. Any time I try to talk to a high up at UPS. I'm told they don't have the information, or I'm toggled between the Canadian and International side. Please Help
Part of the problem may be this: " She said the second the shipper calls to get the package back ". Did you call or did your father call? You were not the shipper.
If cash was sent and has been delivered there is probably no way to retrieve it unless the police are involved and track the receiver of the package.

Jul 30, 2018
Definitely make a police report if you have not already done so. Financial crimes involving the elderly are rampant! While the authorities do not have the resources to investigate individual crimes, they do have the ability to issue warnings to the public and help prevent such a horrible thing from happening to someone else.

I am confused since I've never stopped delivery of a sent package. The UPS reps are saying it is procedure to return them to the sender? Do they have any information on when and where the packages were sent back? Is the system reflecting that they were delivered back to the sender already? We need a few more details.

At this point your statements that there is an insider at UPS involved in this scam is conjecture. It is unproductive to mention this to anyone, especially the UPS personnel and may put them on the offensive and ultimately sabbatoge your efforts in resolving this. Keep in mind the people you are speaking to did not cause your problem.

Jun 25, 2019
Have you brought this to the attention of Canadian law enforcement?

We have company contacts for UPS.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ups/

Stop calling and start emailing. This is how to escalate to Executives- one at a time, once a week.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

This is the second report we’ve had in a week about scammers who have gotten over on people. I urge anyone reading this to talk to family members especially the elderly, and teach them about these scams so they don’t fall victim to them.
We did contact the police. They take your information down, but aside from that, there is nothing they can do. It's unfortunate, but this happens all the time to elderly

Jun 25, 2019
Definitely make a police report if you have not already done so. Financial crimes involving the elderly are rampant! While the authorities do not have the resources to investigate individual crimes, they do have the ability to issue warnings to the public and help prevent such a horrible thing from happening to someone else.

I am confused since I've never stopped delivery of a sent package. The UPS reps are saying it is procedure to return them to the sender? Do they have any information on when and where the packages were sent back? Is the system reflecting that they were delivered back to the sender already? We need a few more details.

At this point your statements that there is an insider at UPS involved in this scam is conjecture. It is unproductive to mention this to anyone, especially the UPS personnel and may put them on the offensive and ultimately sabbatoge your efforts in resolving this. Keep in mind the people you are speaking to did not cause your problem.
Quite frankly I'm not considering the emotional state of UPS workers I talk to on the phone. Especially after EVERYTHING, we went through to stop the delivery. The only person I said it to was the customer service rep that called me. And the more I think about it, the more it rings true to me. It's infuriating to know the effort that was put into stopping this delivery, it truly felt they were working against me.
If a supervisor calls me to say "we intercepted your package, It has been stopped and we are sending it back to you" I assume UPS would do their job and send it back to me. I had my Dad beside me the whole time I was calling them. We went into the original UPS store he sent it from, and even had that clerk to call and stop the packages. Every single call I made into the UPS I stated. "This package is part of a fraud scam, It can not be delivered" Once I received the call saying the package was intercepted. On the tracking site, it showed an error. I was assuming because they had it.

Here is the rest of the story. I called the UPS store to check on the arrival of the packages and the guy told me there was confusion and I needed to go into the store. So I left work grabbed my Dad and went into the UPS store. The clerk told us my Dad called him and said we need to deliver the packages. Which was impossible. We had to cut off the landline and my fathers cell phone because the scammers were relentless calling and threatening him. The clerk said it was a 1-800 number so he knew it wasn't my Dad or me. He told us not to worry because they were holding the packages, and waiting on word from him to confirm that the packages needed to be sent back to us in Canada. This was at 11:00 am. So I get a call the next day telling me to pick up the packages. I get there and the clerk explained there was confusion AGAIN, and one of the packages got delivered. After all that, and go figure it was the package with the most amount of money in it. Four grand. Turns out the day We went into the UPS store the package was delivered at 5:30 pm that evening.

Jun 25, 2019
What about the police in the city the package is addressed to?

If you were told they would recall the package and they didn’t, I would urge you to go up the Executive chain at UPS.
I've sent a decent number of emails to UPS. I have the same email contact info as listed on your site. I have yet to receive a response. The first one I sent was when I got a call from the customer service rep. But she could only offer a "sorry this happened"

Jun 25, 2019
You followed the instructions in the post I mentioned in post #2? Emailed the Executives one at a time leaving a week in between each email?
I've emailed primary executive twice, and the chief executive twice. Not exactly sure on the time frame, but it was between 1 - 2 weeks apart

Feb 3, 2017
That is, in effect, accusing them (at least) of potential fraud. I've had enough messed up shipping mishaps with UPS to think this is just down to them screwing up somewhere on the chain of communication.

At least - hopefully - a police report may be helpful if and when you do get in actual contact with someone at UPS.

Did you tell UPS when you requested they return the package and not deliver it, that there was cash in the packages? Or did you just request they stop the shipment and return them to you/your dad?

Jul 30, 2018
It's ok to vent and be angry! I too have elderly parents and would be spitting fire if this happened to us. The Elliot self Advocacy method stresses the 3 P's: polite, patient, persistent. UPS has tens of thousands of employees. Who ever reads your email did not cause your problem. Your job is to make them want to help you. If your email is full of emotion and worse, conjecture, it will simply be put aside. I suggest you compose a bullet point email with just the facts of what happened and what you would like as a resolution. Refrain from any emotion or extraneous information. The person reading your email does this all day and wants to quickly understand what happened and how to resolve it.

Jun 25, 2019
It's ok to vent and be angry! I too have elderly parents and would be spitting fire if this happened to us. The Elliot self Advocacy method stresses the 3 P's: polite, patient, persistent. UPS has tens of thousands of employees. Who ever reads your email did not cause your problem. Your job is to make them want to help you. If your email is full of emotion and worse, conjecture, it will simply be put aside. I suggest you compose a bullet point email with just the facts of what happened and what you would like as a resolution. Refrain from any emotion or extraneous information. The person reading your email does this all day and wants to quickly understand what happened and how to resolve it.
Alright. I tried really hard, but I know I had some undeniable emotions in my emails. I will definitely give this a try. Should I start the emailing process over again?

Jun 25, 2019
That is, in effect, accusing them (at least) of potential fraud. I've had enough messed up shipping mishaps with UPS to think this is just down to them screwing up somewhere on the chain of communication.

At least - hopefully - a police report may be helpful if and when you do get in actual contact with someone at UPS.

Did you tell UPS when you requested they return the package and not deliver it, that there was cash in the packages? Or did you just request they stop the shipment and return them to you/your dad?
I tried to avoid saying there was cash in the packages. I told them the envelopes had very valuable items in it

Oct 13, 2015
I did not. But I asked if they could prove the driver who delivered the package was not part of the scam.
I'm in the more litigious USA so things may be different in Canada. If I got an email demanding that my company prove it didn't cause someone's damage, I'd refer it to legal immediately because this sounds like an impending lawsuit. So I wonder if that's why you haven't heard back because on their end everything has to go through their attorneys first.

Nov 20, 2015
A sender can stop a package. If they said they would do this and didn't, UPS failed.
I think you can request a domestic delivery intercept, but they don't guarantee that the intercept will occur. Maybe international intercepts are guaranteed, but I wouldn't think so.
I can certainly understand the OP's frustration with UPS after being told incorrectly told that the intercept was successful. Hopefully they didn't charge the OP for the intercept, since it didn't occur.