Upgrade Help with American

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2019
I'm traveling with a group on American Airlines, Philadelphia to Maui (thru Phoenix) and want to upgrade my seat only on all 4 flights. Group travel at the airline says no problem, plenty of seats available, travel agent has to separate me from the group and it can be done. Agent has been trying for over 2 weeks with no success, just keeps getting runaround. Have emailed customer service as well as contact person at American and have heard nothing (over a week for both). Any help is appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your travel agent should use our company contacts to contact the airline. Has he or she called the group department to find out if she actually CAN move you to an individual booking? What they tell you on the phone might be wrong- we’ve seen many times an agent tells a consumer incorrect information.

Can’t you just go online with your booking number and buy the upgraded seat you want?

If you are booked at a group rate, your agent usually has to make any other type of changes.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
What exactly are you trying to do in terms of upgrade? Are you trying to pay for an upgrade now or are you trying to get yourself on the upgrade list?

Jun 19, 2019
And using your reservation number on the AA website, it doesn’t allow you to upgrade?
No. Because I’m part of a group I need to be separated and assigned my own number. This is per the group travel department (multiple calls and they all say the same thing). According to group travel once that’s done it should be no problem to upgrade. They problem is my travel agent can’t figure out how to do it and everyone at the airline she contacts sends her to someone else. She’s been trying for over 2 weeks now with no luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then you might not have the right travel agent. Who is his or her boss at the agency or sales manager for American that can help her with this?

I suggest giving her our Company Contacts and having the agent use them to get this fixed.