Unwillingness to address complaint regarding crediting of reward miles/points

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 31, 2018
On July 29, 2018, I traveled with my wife on Iberia Airlines flights from Chicago to Porto, Portugal via Madrid, arriving in Porto on July 30, with return flights on August 7, 2018. I am a long-time member of the American AAdvantage Rewards Program, with almost 1 million miles of credit over the years. I am also a recent member of the Iberia Avios Rewards program. American Airlines and Iberia Airlines belong to the One World network and are supposed to collaborate, allowing each to recognize and honor the reward program of the other.

My flight ticket to Porto had my Iberia Avios Rewards number, but not my American Airlines AAdvantage number. When I arrived at the Iberia check-in counter at Chicago O'Hare, I told the Iberia agent that I did not want the Avios points but wanted instead the AAdvantage points on all flights. The agent agreed to my request, but mistakenly changed the reward credit only on my outgoing flights to Porto; she neglected to change the rewards credits on my return flights from Porto to Chicago (via Madrid).

I have contacted both Iberia Airlines and American Airlines to ask that the mistake be rectified, that the Avios credit be eliminated in favor of American AAdvantage credit. The matter seems to be simple: Iberia takes off the credit and American gives me the credit for my flights. Despite extensive correspondence with both airlines, the two airlines do not seem to communicate with each other and appear unwilling to address my simple, but legitimate request.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 26, 2015
I just want others to know that the contacts for TAP Portugal are outdated. I too contacted both contacts where an e-mail address is provided, but did not even receive an initial response. After I wrote a second time to Ms. Lopes, she did write back to say she is no longer in the position of VP Customer Service and that she would forward my e-mail to the appropriate person. However, she did not specify who that was and I have yet to receive a response from anyone else.
I have a statement showing we would earn miles, but our United account was never credited. Contacting United to credit missing miles, only resulted in their stating that the class of service was ineligible. However, the class of service they quoted is much different from the class of service on our tickets.

Primary Contact
Fernanda Ottavio
Sales and Marketing Manager, North America
fottavio@tap.pt

Secondary Contact
Anabela Lopes
VP Customer Service
alopes@tap.pt

Sep 19, 2015
Drryanjames — TAP has a strange structure of fares and there are problems with “equivalent fare class” or mapping.

TAP has to approve the mileage for UA.

I would suggest you search flyertalk United forum and review the issues with TAP flights. If you do not find anything helpful you can post there. Just a warning some of the members can be a little harsh — but there are people there that understand the issue.