Unsafe vehicle

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 6, 2018
Myself and two friends, all over 65 years old, rented a car thru Avis at the Honolulu airport from 9/30 - 10/9/18. The reservation was made 7/27/18, #2XXXXXXXXX, in the amount of $348.68. To make a long story short, on the third day of our trip we noticed the tires on the Explorer we were given were bald and the tread was ragged. A gentlemen looked at the tires for us and told us the cord was actually showing thru. Avis was called immediately and the condition of the tires was reported to them. They did replace the vehicle three hours later after telling us they would be there within one-half hour, thus wasting almost five hours of our vacation time! Avis has been contacted numerous times, both while we were still in Hawaii and since our return home, with no resolution. While in Hawaii, we were told to speak with the representative at the Avis counter at the airport when we returned the vehicle. We were given the claim #D1827801779. Many days after our return home, my friend who made the original car reservation finally got someone on the line who identified himself as Mark, agent #31086. He would not give his last name but identified himself as the President. Mark advised her he would reimburse us $50 for our troubles, indicating our three lives were only worth $50! At this time, we are requesting a full refund in the amount of $348.68 for our inconvenience, for the lack of safety and concern for our welfare and for the very poor and unacceptable customer service we received from Avis, both in person at the airport and on the telephone. We are wondering if Avis has a QA Dept. that inspects their cars in detail before they are given to new renters.

Note - edited by moderator to remove rental number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is unreasonable to request a full refund for five hours of inconvenience. You had the car for 10 days - if you divide your total of $348.68 by 10 days, it comes to $34.86 per day. At the most, they should reimburse you for one days inconvenience and they are doing more than that.

You have responsibility of checking the car and doing a walk around with the agent at pick up. Didn't any of you notice this? The tires didn't go bald in three days. You also have the responsibility of checking it before you leave the lot and you should also take photos of the car at pick up and drop off.

I think what they are offering you is more than fair.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You need to check the entire car, including the tires when you pick it up. If you picked it up at night you needed to check the car first thing in the AM.
Why did you simply not drive the car back to Avis and exchange for another? It would have been much faster than waiting for Avis to arrive with another car. Expecting another car to arrive in 30 min is not realistic no matter what you were told. Other than the hours you waited you suffered no loss and used the car for 10 days. Expecting a full refund is not realistic. The $50 offered is likely all you will get but you can pursue the complaint with Avis corporate. You might get a voucher for future Avis rental if you wish to use them again.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/avis-budget/

You are free to choose another rental agency in the future, and rate Avis poorly on any site you choose.

Nov 6, 2018
It is unreasonable to request a full refund for five hours of inconvenience. You had the car for 10 days - if you divide your total of $348.68 by 10 days, it comes to $34.86 per day. At the most, they should reimburse you for one days inconvenience and they are doing more than that.

You have responsibility of checking the car and doing a walk around with the agent at pick up. Didn't any of you notice this? The tires didn't go bald in three days. You also have the responsibility of checking it before you leave the lot and you should also take photos of the car at pick up and drop off.

I think what they are offering you is more than fair.
We did not have the car for 10 days! They actually towed a Jeep to us the day after it was reported, which was the fifth day, as we did not drive it after we noticed the tires, and they took the original vehicle back. The replacement was a sports vehicle and very difficult for three women over the age of 65 to get into! An Avis agent did not go with us to pick up the original vehicle. They just advised us where the lot was and told us which parking space the vehicle was located in. We received no instruction on the general operation of the vehicle. We personally went over the vehicle for dents, scratches, etc. and took pictures, as advised by our insurance company. This is not the first time we have rented a vehicle. We usually go on a yearly vacation and rent a car. We are not rookies! The thought never entered our mind to check the tires. As I stated in my original e-mail, I would certainly assume they have some type of QA Dept. to review previously returned vehicles for safety concerns. Just the fact that they even considered renting a vehicle with such damaged tires is a concern to us for future car renters. We are just as concerned for future customers with Avis that they would give the same inferior customer service to them. They seem to not care about the welfare of their customers.!

Nov 6, 2018
As noted by others you are asking too much and should be satisfied with the $50 which more than covers one day rental.
We feel our safety was at risk for the four days we had the car. If nothing else, we feel we should receive a refund for the four days we had the car which would be $139.44.

Sep 19, 2015
We feel our safety was at risk for the four days we had the car. If nothing else, we feel we should receive a refund for the four days we had the car which would be $139.44.

You did not notice the bad tires at first. You did not feel unsafe at first.

I do not understand the chronology.

Post #1 — noticed tires on day 3 and — direct quote:

Avis was called immediately and the condition of the tires was reported to them. They did replace the vehicle three hours later after telling us they would be there within one-half hour”

Post #6. Now it is 5 days? Quote:

We did not have the car for 10 days! They actually towed a Jeep to us the day after it was reported, which was the fifth day, as we did not drive it after we noticed the tires, and they took the original vehicle back. The replacement was a sports vehicle

So first a car was delivered within 3 hours on day 3 —and now it is the fifth day?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This was a real shame, but there were no negatives, no injuries, no being stuck somewhere uncomfortable with a flat tire. If you've rented before and have always assumed that the vehicle was in perfect shape, you've been lucky. Please be glad Avis offered a bit of compensation for your inconvenience and use my colleagues' advice for your next trip. Nobody will take care of you as well as you can yourself; if you travel you need to be pro-active.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
i’ve never had a car rental company go over how to use a car I am renting. You wisely took pictures of the car at pick up- you didn’t notice the bald tires when you were taking the pictures?

Unfortunately, this is the way it’s done most of the time- you are directed to the space number and are off. We always take photos of the car at pick up
and drop off. If there are dings or bumps. we demand that our copy of the car rental is marked by the rental place before we leave the lot.

You must always be proactive when renting a car and inspect it with a fine tooth comb before driving off

Sep 27, 2018
Speaking from experience, your best approach after this happened was to go to the desk agent after you turn the car in, and explain how you were inconvenienced in a nice friendly tone and ask if there can be some compensation for your troubles. Leave it open ended and I find you will usually get a very fair settlement. You were inconvenienced one day, so anything more than 1 days compensation view as a gift. At most of these rental places they are turning the cars over quickly, so things will get missed. One other piece of advice, if you find something wrong that you could not see because it was dark when you rented it, call immediately and report it. I had rented a SUV, and when I got to the condo, I looked out from the 2nd flr window and saw a huge scrape on the roof. By calling in, you get a case number that protects you from damage claims.