Unreasonable response from Lowe's so-called customer service team

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 10, 2016
Last week I went to Lowe’s to return two (brand-new, unopened) Samsung refrigerator filters that were purchased at Lowe’s. I did not have a receipt for these filters, which is unusual, because I just use my Lowe’s credit card for most everything. However, these were purchased with cash (for my aunt) and she no longer has the receipt. (Unfortunately, she also does not have a Samsung refrigerator….but that’s another story.) When I asked for a store credit for the filters, the clerk asked for my ID, which is fine. I completely understand that requirement. What I don’t understand is why the return was refused. She said my license had been flagged for “too many returns without a receipt.”

That does not make sense. I ALWAYS have a receipt. (The only exception would be in 2015, when Lowe’s remodeled my kitchen. Over the course of that $50,000+ project, which included more than $12,000 spent at Lowe's, many things had to be exchanged for different sizes, etc. and the receipt wasn’t always available.)

I contacted the "REFUNDS" # on the refusal and explained. I received an absurd reply with questions I had already answered. Clearly, no one even read through what happened. I was then asked for my drivers license number (again) which I supplied. After two more email exchanges, I was told that -- while my drivers license was NOT flagged for too many returns -- refrigerator filters REQUIRE a receipt.

This is unreasonable. The merchandise is brand-new, unopened, and the first clerk confirmed that it was Lowe's merchandise. I was not, of course, asking for cash - merely a store credit I could use for my aunt to buy household supplies. She lives on a fixed income and the credit is important to her.

I did not appreciate being treated like a sneaky thief while I was IN the store, and the insane email exchange was invasive, rude and ultimately a waste of time.

I'd appreciate an apology and a way to return the filters for the requested store credit.

Jan 6, 2015
You can use the Company Contacts on this site to present your case to Lowe's.

Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page. And remember to include your desired compensation.

Sep 19, 2015
Certainly it is not nice to be accused of too many returns.

However without a receipt, and a cash purchase (ie no way to track it) returns are not guaranteed -- from the Lowe's website:

For returns without a valid receipt, in-store credit may be issued for the item’s current selling price.

The operative word is "may".

also from Lowe's:

Lowe's reserves the right to refuse or limit the number of returns permitted without valid receipts. No returns for purchases made with checks will be made if you have outstanding checks with Lowe's. Lowe's may require valid picture ID (state driver's license, state ID card or military ID) for any return. Lowe's stores use refund and check verification systems. All returns are subject to system approvals.

For information on how the return verification system works:

http://www.elliott.org/case-dismiss...-protects-merchants-against-serial-returners/

The clerks at the Lowe's should know their policies better; but also be aware that they are not obligated to take something back without a receipt, and that you are asking for an exception. Skip the demand for an apology and kindly ask for an exception. Good luck.

Sep 10, 2016
Certainly it is not nice to be accused of too many returns.

However without a receipt, and a cash purchase (ie no way to track it) returns are not guaranteed -- from the Lowe's website:

For returns without a valid receipt, in-store credit may be issued for the item’s current selling price.

The operative word is "may".

also from Lowe's:

Lowe's reserves the right to refuse or limit the number of returns permitted without valid receipts. No returns for purchases made with checks will be made if you have outstanding checks with Lowe's. Lowe's may require valid picture ID (state driver's license, state ID card or military ID) for any return. Lowe's stores use refund and check verification systems. All returns are subject to system approvals.

For information on how the return verification system works:

http://www.elliott.org/case-dismiss...-protects-merchants-against-serial-returners/

The clerks at the Lowe's should know their policies better; but also be aware that they are not obligated to take something back without a receipt, and that you are asking for an exception. Skip the demand for an apology and kindly ask for an exception. Good luck.
Thanks, but not thanks. The clerk was rude, the situation was embarrassing. I have no intention of "kindly" asking for anything from Lowe's. My response was to close my credit card and give the filters away on Craigslist.

Sep 10, 2016
Thanks, but not thanks. The clerk was rude, the situation was embarrassing. I have no intention of "kindly" asking for anything from Lowe's. My response was to close my credit card and give the filters away on Craigslist.
Thank you for the suggestion. I gave the filters away on Craigslist and gave my aunt the cash without telling her the story. (Lowe's should be embarrassed. They were very accomodating when I spent $11,000+ in their store.)

Sep 19, 2015
I do think that a letter would be good to let them know why you are closing the account and taking your business elsewhere. It would have been a good move for the manager to, after looking over your account and history with the company, to have taken care of the situation.