Unjustified claim by Alamo

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 11, 2019
Rented car in Montana from August 5, 2019 and returned August 14, 2019. No damage to car. Received a letter on October 1st claiming we owed $ . Not how much? Or for what. October 11th of 2019 received a bill for hail damage in the amount of $3150.00. Contacted insurance representative to aid us as we were never in hail. Documented with receipts in areas we traveled to with no hail occurring during the above dates as well as storm site references. Learned through Alamo the car we returned was rented to someone else on the same date after us. We have waited weeks for Alamo to respond and on November 7th with much prompting to insurance company, learned Alamo is still pursuing. Wrote a letter via email on November 8th to Alamo again documenting facts. Received a reply from them that they were still in purs

Jun 12, 2019
I am glad you involved your insurance company on this one. It sounds like you told your insurance company that you returned the rental without damages and your insurance company will refuse to pay the rental company until they prove to your insurance company that you caused the damage. Couple of thoughts... If they attempt to put you into collections, your insurance company has the contractual duty to defend you. The exception is small claims where attorneys are normally not allowed to speak for you. If they are successful in getting a judgement, you are obligated to pay your deductible and your insurance pays the rest.
This is under the comphreshive portion of your policy (hail damage) and normally does not have an effect on rates. If your insurance company agrees to defend you and lose, this would still be considered a not at fault accident but a paid loss. If you have too many of those it might increase your rates.

If you charged the rental with a credit card that has rental car coverage, file a claim and keep them in the loop. They will provide excess coverage in case you are obligated to pay. Make sure you give them the same facts of loss. Good luck.

Nov 11, 2019
Thank you. The insurance company has been working for us and will pay. It is us that are fighting it. We have submitted 14 pages of receipts and documentation proving we were not in any hail or areas that had hail. Alamo gave us our receipt with no problems reported. They rented the car out the again the day we returned it. What company would rent a damaged car out again if they planned on filing a claim. Pictures were timestamped 2 days after we returned the car.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Thank you. The insurance company has been working for us and will pay. It is us that are fighting it. We have submitted 14 pages of receipts and documentation proving we were not in any hail or areas that had hail. Alamo gave us our receipt with no problems reported. They rented the car out the again the day we returned it. What company would rent a damaged car out again if they planned on filing a claim. Pictures were timestamped 2 days after we returned the car.
Those timestamped photos are going to get this dropped immediately. If they cannot without a reasonable doubt say that you caused the damage vs. the other renter, they have no case. Best of luck!

Jun 12, 2019
Are they paying the whole thing or everything above your deductible? Normally it is up to your insurance company to pay or defend but I am curious why they paid without considering all of the evidence.

Nov 11, 2019
I thought the renting again and timestamped pictures along with receipts would cause them to dismiss their claim. It didnt. Our insurance company has been working with us and have not paid anything.
Any suggestion on what I can do next?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I thought the renting again and timestamped pictures along with receipts would cause them to dismiss their claim. It didnt. Our insurance company has been working with us and have not paid anything.
Any suggestion on what I can do next?
Just follow the steps in the comment above, it works most of the time. You need to get to the execs who are the decision makers.

Nov 11, 2019
Thank you, I have sent the Exec VP of Enterprise Holding Inc an email with attachment both explaining our situation. Mentioned thy e re-rental and the timestamp of the pictures. I also left him and his assistant voice mail messages. I have ready and email to the next two people in line.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you, I have sent the Exec VP of Enterprise Holding Inc an email with attachment both explaining our situation. Mentioned thy e re-rental and the timestamp of the pictures. I also left him and his assistant voice mail messages. I have ready and email to the next two people in line.
Don’t call. We advise you to only use email. You want an answer in writing, not something verbal that can be denied later on.

Nov 11, 2019
Oh, thank you. I guess it is to late but if someone does call I will ask in writing. I just forwarded this morning my previous email to the executive VP to the 2 Assist Executive VPs. How long should I wait for a reply.

Nov 11, 2019
I want to let thank everyone for their advice and to let you know I received a letter this morning 11/13/19 that Enterprise Holdings INC reviewed my concerns. They would cover the cost and my case was closed. I also received a call from their Risk Management Montana Division letting me know the claim was closed.
I am not sure why but feel it was the advice to contact the Executives that Elliott Advocates had listed.
I did not follow the advice received from individuals on this exactly but close. I jumped the gun a little. I first emailed the top person in the list with summarized information on what I had supplied. I couldn't wait. I only waited 2 days without a reply then forwarded the same email to the next 2 Executives listed at the same time on the same email. I let them know that I had previously sent to number 1 executive and was requesting either or both if their assistance as well. I did copy the number 1 executive in that email.
I asked the person from their Risk Managment to notify my Insurance rep. She did it immediately. My insurance rep called within 10 mins informing me they had called.
What a great morning.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Glad it worked out. From past experiences, we recommend waiting a week for a reply because if you don't and you reach the top exec, you may be left without any recourse. We have found that giving someone time to address a situation is better than rushing through the process and potentially ending up without a favorable outcome.* But, in this case, I am happy you received the desired result.

*Note: I mention the suggested time frame between emails for those who may have the same situation in the future.