universal adaptor recommendations

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can find them at Walmart, Amazon, anywhere. What you want is one that has adapters that work for each country AND that convert the electricity from 220 to 110. The converter is essential so you don’t burn out your appliances on the higher voltage.

Look for adapter/converter units.

Most hotels will have a hair dryer so you don’t have to bring your own.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@gibsontobias If it was me, you might think about purchasing a hair dryer and curling iron once you've landed in Europe (or a dual voltage hair dryer curling iron here. Amazon has some). My mother (my parents spend at least a month every summer in the UK / Ireland) swears neither one works right with a converter. With that all you need is an adapter set (see amazon again or walmart) Your iPhone is dual voltage so you won't need a converter for it (but will need an adapter).

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
going to Prague, Vienna, and Munich. need adaptor recommendations for one that can accommodate hair dryer, curling iron, and apple phone.
Your hair dryer and curling iron may be dual voltage. Most all newer hair dryers are-they have a little rotary switch on the handle that you turn to 220. They work fine in Europe. Don't know about curling irons. Your apple phone charger is dual voltage-you can look at the fine print on it and you will see 110/220 volts. You need a simple plug adapter for this and the hairdryer. You can buy a bag of these 6 for ~$6-take extra as you will lose or forget some of them.

If your curling iron is not dual voltage I would buy a new one here in the US that is dual voltage. It is less expensive than buying (and lugging around) a 220 to 110 voltage transformer. To get a voltage converter (as opposed to a plug adapter which simply adapts US plugs to euro outlets) for a heating appliance like a curling iron you need a large and heavy one; much easier and cheaper to buy a new curling iron. If you go on Amazon or any web site you will find lots of dual voltage curling irons and well as euro to US plug adapters.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018
I say travel light.... most hotels have hair driers and maybe get a hairstyle before you go that is low-maintenance that doesn't need much care. Do you really want to spend your vacation messing with your hair. If you must have this stuff I second the duo-voltage appliances and just get plug adaptors.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you do not have a dual voltage curling iron you absolutely need a converter. My wife had one and it still melted her curling iron. Thank God we were in the cabin of the ship and she hadn’t left it on because it caught on fire and melted.

Mar 18, 2019
I've lived in foreign countries for the better part of the last 10 years. If you want to run a hair dryer or curling iron, you are MUCH better off buying one that is dual voltage certified. The reason is that those are both high wattage devices and if you accidentally buy an adapter that isn't sufficient for the wattage, you'll have the problem that @Neil Maley had and risk burning down your room.

If you must take *your* hair dryer and curling iron, just make sure that you know exactly what the wattage is for those devices and buy a converter that is rated for that wattage. Anything you buy in a physical store in the US will be UL certified and should be perfectly acceptable as long as they are rated for the load.

Aug 30, 2015
going to Prague, Vienna, and Munich. need adaptor recommendations for one that can accommodate hair dryer, curling iron, and apple phone.
All three of those countries use the same plug adaptor for 2 wire (type C) but for grounded outlets, Prague uses one that's the same as France and both Germany and Austria use the Schuko. You should be able to get an adaptor that does both types for 3 wire (and you can plug 2 wire into them). It is extremely important to know the difference between an adapter and a converter. An adapter merely changes the shape of the plug to suit whatever you have, but it does NOT alter the voltage. Check your iPhone charger, it should say 100-250 volts, 50-60 HZ, that means it can be plugged into all those places with an adapter only. And if you forget, there's usually a razor outlet in the bathroom. As far as the hair dryer is concerned, they usually do not automatically switch, so make sure you get one that works for both voltages. You will have to manually change it. Switch it before you get on the plane so you don't forget. As far as curling irons, it is often difficult to get a dual voltage one, and it WILL melt if you plug a 120 V one into 240..so either find a dual voltage one, or get one over there. I don't recommend a voltage converter, they are heavy. They come in various types, according to the wattage used. Have a nice trip.

Aug 30, 2015
If you are willing to spend a little more, this type of device (or a similar one) is very useful. Then you can take USB cables instead of your phone chargers. Just buy a pack of USB cables (you will lose some of them too).
https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-TROND-Europe-Travel/dp/B07QVZGY2B/ref=sr_1_32?crid=1P05QZKXY6UF4&keywords=euro+plug+adapter&qid=1558388950&s=gateway&sprefix=euro+plug+ad,aps,234&sr=8-32
Just as an FYI, 2 wire input and 3 wire output I'm pretty sure would fail certification - although most consumer devices use 2 wire. I would be hesitant to plug in a 3 wire computer plug to this....but the OP in this case is using 2 wire devices.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Just as an FYI, 2 wire input and 3 wire output I'm pretty sure would fail certification - although most consumer devices use 2 wire. I would be hesitant to plug in a 3 wire computer plug to this....but the OP in this case is using 2 wire devices.
I have used this extensively in NZ and Europe with a laptop computer without problems.

Aug 30, 2015
I have used this extensively in NZ and Europe with a laptop computer without problems.
I didn't say you would have problems, what I did say is that it would fail certification...which should be disclosed. However, do you have a 3 wire computer? My 3 wire Dell does not like 2 wire connections...

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I didn't say you would have problems, what I did say is that it would fail certification...which should be disclosed. However, do you have a 3 wire computer? My 3 wire Dell does not like 2 wire connections...
I have used this type adaptor with several Dell laptops which have 3 prong plugs without an issue.

Aug 30, 2015
I have used this type adaptor with several Dell laptops which have 3 prong plugs without an issue.
That's great. Do you not think that it is fair to advise people that such a setup is not certified by the authorities that certify such things? The point is that your 3 wire "grounded" Dell laptop would NOT be grounded if you use this. I think it is worthwhile to make people aware of that.

Sep 27, 2018
That's great. Do you not think that it is fair to advise people that such a setup is not certified by the authorities that certify such things? The point is that your 3 wire "grounded" Dell laptop would NOT be grounded if you use this. I think it is worthwhile to make people aware of that.
I looked on the Amazon site and agree it does not appear to have a ground. However, in the chart of alternative products there are ones that appear to have the grounding lug.

Aug 29, 2018
What you are looking for is a Type C male plug with a Type A female plug. But as others have noted, you just need USB for the iPhone.

I have a power transformer I bought a few yeats back with an adaptable plug; it can take input on Type C (most of Europe), Type G (UK), and even type I (Australia) and produce 110 volt (US standard). I see the upgraded version also includes USB:

https://www.amazon.com/DOACE-C11-Straightener-International-Transformer/dp/B07DQLM1P1

Feb 3, 2019
Your hair dryer and curling iron may be dual voltage. Most all newer hair dryers are-they have a little rotary switch on the handle that you turn to 220.
Dual-voltage hair dryers, especially those made specifically for travel, are certainly easier to find these days than they were when I last shopped for one. But I'm shopping for a new hair dryer now, and everything I'm looking at - even the high-end models like the Dyson - is 120 or 240-only.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Dual-voltage hair dryers, especially those made specifically for travel, are certainly easier to find these days than they were when I last shopped for one. But I'm shopping for a new hair dryer now, and everything I'm looking at - even the high-end models like the Dyson - is 120 or 240-only.
Try Conair. Just bought one at CVS for ~$20-dual voltage

Sep 27, 2018
I've lived in foreign countries for the better part of the last 10 years. If you want to run a hair dryer or curling iron, you are MUCH better off buying one that is dual voltage certified. The reason is that those are both high wattage devices and if you accidentally buy an adapter that isn't sufficient for the wattage, you'll have the problem that @Neil Maley had and risk burning down your room.

If you must take *your* hair dryer and curling iron, just make sure that you know exactly what the wattage is for those devices and buy a converter that is rated for that wattage. Anything you buy in a physical store in the US will be UL certified and should be perfectly acceptable as long as they are rated for the load.
Plus if you get a dual voltage hair dryer, you don't have to carry around the brick of a transformer in your luggage.