United Ticket||Star Alliance Segment Cancelled|| No Help from UA||

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 19, 2018
Hello
  • I purchased a UA Ticket (016- Ticket Number) for SFO-Germany-India
  • Return Portion was Pune---> New Delhi (Air India) and Delhi to SFO by United
  • The AI portion had a Schedule change so I would miss the UA portion to San Francisco
  • My travel Agent worked with UA to get authorization to be booked on an earlier Jet Airways connection to UA
  • Jet Airways Segment showed up on my United.com Itenarary
  • Upon Checking with Jet Airways - they said the Ticket is on "Hold" and not Ticketed
  • Per My travel Agent - UA "Failed to link the Jet Airways PNR to UA Ticket" ..... due to 3 days wait the class of service on Jet Airways is gone
  • After Several hours on Phone - UA basically said if you want us to book Jet Airways connection - Please pay $300 Ticket Change Fee
  • I ended up purchasing a separate $120 Ticket out of my pocket on Jet Airways to make the UA connection - No fault of mine for schedule change by Airline
  • So much for "Star Alliance" & "Premier Status" with UA ........... What is my recourse here? Any Advise

Jan 25, 2016
Sorry to hear that your travel did not go as planned.

As a point of information, Jet Airways is not a member of the Star Alliance and, in fact, they are also not shown on UA's website as a non-alliance partner.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
We hear all too often that someone's travel agent tells them that there's nothing they can do. The word "agent" has a specific meaning: a TA needs to do whatever it takes to keep the customer whole. If you have to fight your own battles, why use a TA?

Jul 19, 2018
TA stated AI willing to route PNQ-DEL-SFO ....... but since it is UA Ticket .... permission needed & UA wanted a UA segment on return. Bottom line each Airline pointing fingers at other Airline - in that case Why bother with any Alliance and sell tickets in the 1st place - customers could cobble together different Airline tickets & create their own "Alliance" :) Here is the way I look at it - Amazon is a Platform for buying goods - lots of providers selling shoes for Example :: If I buy a Nike Shoe on Amazon & have issues ... I might as a 1st attempt deal with the shoe vendor (returns/defective / whatever) but at the end of Day Amazon steps in if the issues is not resolved & they make it right - that is why people shop on Amazon - they know they can trust the Brand name & not have to deal with all the various vendors ..... same thing here If United sold me the Ticket (with few other alliance providing certain segments) Why do I have to deal with various airlines ....... 7/21/18 Update|| After several hours on the phone & Twitter with UA/TA/AI ..... sent a note to one of UA Executives :: Bettie from UA Executive Services got in touch. I will post an update to see if they help - Ended up purchasing a separate PNQ--DEL segment (UA still has my $$ from the PNQ--DEL segment + hours of $$ Time wasted) :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately this is the way these “alliances” work- when things go well, they work as they are supposed to. They get you where you need to be without having to buy separate tickets.

When they don’t- it because a confusing mess. I think you also have an issue because Jet is not a Star Alliance Member.

You can’t really equate this to Amazon- there are far more complications dealing with flights and scheduling and available seats than a package from Amazon.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
TA stated AI willing to route PNQ-DEL-SFO ....... but since it is UA Ticket .... permission needed & UA wanted a UA segment on return. Bottom line each Airline pointing fingers at other Airline - in that case Why bother with any Alliance and sell tickets in the 1st place - customers could cobble together different Airline tickets & create their own "Alliance" :) Here is the way I look at it - Amazon is a Platform for buying goods - lots of providers selling shoes for Example :: If I buy a Nike Shoe on Amazon & have issues ... I might as a 1st attempt deal with the shoe vendor (returns/defective / whatever) but at the end of Day Amazon steps in if the issues is not resolved & they make it right - that is why people shop on Amazon - they know they can trust the Brand name & not have to deal with all the various vendors ..... same thing here If United sold me the Ticket (with few other alliance providing certain segments) Why do I have to deal with various airlines ....... 7/21/18 Update|| After several hours on the phone & Twitter with UA/TA/AI ..... sent a note to one of UA Executives :: Bettie from UA Executive Services got in touch. I will post an update to see if they help - Ended up purchasing a separate PNQ--DEL segment (UA still has my $$ from the PNQ--DEL segment + hours of $$ Time wasted) :(
Based on observation over the last few years, I completely agree with you that the code-shares and alliances are set up to benefit the airline ... if the passenger also benefits that's fine, but when there are problems, ugh. Your example of Amazon and the vendor is very good. First you'd ask the vendor to replace your shoes. If he doesn't want to cooperate, then Amazon would help you. If you have code-share tix purchased through United, first you go to the airline with the problem to try to resolve it. If you can't, United should help you.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Is this for future travel or have you already flown these segments? That separate ticket can be a problem if the flight is delayed and you can´t make your connection in DEL, you may be labeled a no-show and lose the rest of your ticket. As Neil stated above, your TA should have been able to work out alternative travel acceptable by the airline or get you a refund for your complete ticket.

Also, there is a chance that UA will cancel the return if they haven't reticket it changing your departure from DEL instead of PNQ.

Last edited: