We were nervous about the virus 3 days before our trip and had questions about the voucher system if we were to cancel. Since the wait time on the phone was hours long, we drove to our local airport and talked to the United gate agents. To our surprise, they offered a full refund (Clarified - cash refund, not a voucher.) We were still unsure, but they said the offer was good until a few hours before the flight. The next morning, we went back to the airport to take them up on this. The new agents denied it was true, but believed we were telling the truth about the offer (we were) and put in a refund for us. They printed a screenshot of their computer that said refunded and assured us our credit card would show the refund in a few days. A week later, we received an email saying we were not eligible for a refund and would not be getting one. I wrote again and asked that if no refund would be issued, could we at least get an extension on a voucher so we'd be able to use it. They emailed back that they had carefully reviewed our case and we were not eligible for a refund. I've now emailed them asking them how we get a voucher (which had also been offered.) I know we are lucky we didn't go on our trip. Our decision to cancel was based on United's refund offer, but the decision was a good one, regardless. Considering how much loss has happened recently, I am rather inclined to drop it. But the exact same thing just happened to some friends of our's. Very similar story. What would you do?