United Airlines Web Site

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2018
On United Airlines (UA) web site, I've located two names on various areas for my wife's ticket, one is Sarah (which is her passport, drivers licenses and given name). The second name listed is Sally, which is her nickname. After checking with UA representative this was their response "The name on the ticket reads as Sally. We are unable to change/modify a name on the ticket, when the itinerary contains other carriers. I'm not sure why "Manage Reservations" is showing Sarah so I'll forward this to our Web Product team for review". I responded back to UA , informing them that the other carrier Air New Zealand already has said, "UA sent the information to us for your tickets and if UA changes the name on the ticket we will also", I've received no response from UA..

Therefore, TSA said my wife we'll not be able to fly if her identification does not match her ticket name. So, I'm checking to see if anyone has ever experienced this in the past and could provide information on how to circumvent UA's refusal to change the ticket's name?

Dec 19, 2014
Ugh. Do you know how this happened?

The ticket name needs to be corrected because she will not be able to fly as is.
I would start by asking to speak to a supervisor, and if that fails, write United and explain the situation, and escalate as per the contacts on this site.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How did you book the tickets? Who input the name in the screen when you bought? The name entered on an airline ticket must be in the exact name as the I.d. reads.

If you made a mistake booking the ticket, you have 24 hours to correct it at no fee. If it’s been more then 24 hours- sorry this be the bearer of bad news but you have the cancel and purchase a new ticket. They cannot make a name change in an existing ticket.

Jul 30, 2018

The ticket name needs to be corrected because she will not be able to fly as is.
I would start by asking to speak to a supervisor, and if that fails, write United and explain the situation, and escalate as per the contacts on this site.

Chris- I have spoke to several individuals including a United Airlines (UA) supervisor by phone and have gotten nowhere. So, this site asked for documentation of my attempts, which meant emails and so one of the last emails from UA was the one listed where their web agent wrote the following "The name on the ticket reads as Sally. We are unable to change/modify a name on the ticket, when the itinerary contains other carriers. I'm not sure why "Manage Reservations" is showing Sarah, so I'll forward this to our Web Product team for review"

Jul 30, 2018
How did you book the tickets? Who input the name in the screen when you bought? The name entered on an airline ticket must be in the exact name as the I.d. reads.

If you made a mistake booking the ticket, you have 24 hours to correct it at no fee. If it’s been more then 24 hours- sorry this be the bearer of bad news but you have the cancel and purchase a new ticket. They cannot make a name change in an existing ticket.
Neil- our son book a cruise and airline tickets as a surprise anniversary gift for my wife and myself. He presented it to us several weeks later on our anniversary and when I looked at the package the cruise had the correct spelling of my wife and I, but the airline tickets unfortunately did not. I let my son know about this and he tried Travelocity and UA to get the name changed, but could not. As for cancelling the tickets and rebooking that wouldn't work either, because the flights consisted of five different segments, which three major segments where sold out and no other flights existed that met the time frame of the cruise ship.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
On United Airlines (UA) web site, I've located two names on various areas for my wife's ticket, one is Sarah (which is her passport, drivers licenses and given name). The second name listed is Sally, which is her nickname. After checking with UA representative this was their response "The name on the ticket reads as Sally. We are unable to change/modify a name on the ticket, when the itinerary contains other carriers. I'm not sure why "Manage Reservations" is showing Sarah so I'll forward this to our Web Product team for review". I responded back to UA , informing them that the other carrier Air New Zealand already has said, "UA sent the information to us for your tickets and if UA changes the name on the ticket we will also", I've received no response from UA..

Therefore, TSA said my wife we'll not be able to fly if her identification does not match her ticket name. So, I'm checking to see if anyone has ever experienced this in the past and could provide information on how to circumvent UA's refusal to change the ticket's name?
You may find that your profile on United lists your wife under the two different names and it self-populated the booking. Log onto your United profile and check to see what other travelers you have in your profile and fix if needed. That will not solve the current problem but will prevent this from happening again. Your wife should also check her United profile.

Also, never make an international booking for someone other than yourself without a copy of their passport in front of you. This forum is full of examples of someone booking an international ticket for a friend or relative, only to have that person arrive at check-in and not be allowed to board due to use of a nickname or a misspelling. You would be surprised to find out about your Aunt Jane whose first name is really Zelda (which she hates and never uses) which is what her passport says. Jane can't board, but Zelda Jane can.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You may find that your profile on United lists your wife under the two different names and it self-populated the booking. Log onto your United profile and check to see what other travelers you have in your profile and fix if needed. That will not solve the current problem but will prevent this from happening again. Your wife should also check her United profile.

Also, never make an international booking for someone other than yourself without a copy of their passport in front of you. This forum is full of examples of someone booking an international ticket for a friend or relative, only to have that person arrive at check-in and not be allowed to board due to use of a nickname or a misspelling. You would be surprised to find out about your Aunt Jane whose first name is really Zelda (which she hates and never uses) which is what her passport says. Jane can't board, but Zelda Jane can.
The son booked the tickets in the wrong name - it is not a United Airline problem.

Unfortunately - the tickets will have to be rebooked. The airline cannot make an name change like that - the only way to change the name is to cancel the original tickets and repurchase them correctly. It a shame the name wasn't wrong on the cruise and right on the air - that would have been a simple solution.

I wish I had something better to tell you. The only way to fix it is to repurchase the air. It was an error on your son's part - the airline didn't make the error from what you are saying. Aren't there any other flights that will get you into the cruise a day or two earlier and leave a day or two later?

This is an expensive lesson about booking on your own.

Dec 19, 2014
... and no other flights existed that met the time frame of the cruise ship.
This statement concerns also concerns me. How much time do you have between your flight arrival and cruise departure?

Sadly, you may be out of options, but if Travelocity was used to book the flights, you may also write a polite letter to Travelocity.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Neil- our son book a cruise and airline tickets as a surprise anniversary gift for my wife and myself. He presented it to us several weeks later on our anniversary and when I looked at the package the cruise had the correct spelling of my wife and I, but the airline tickets unfortunately did not. I let my son know about this and he tried Travelocity and UA to get the name changed, but could not. As for cancelling the tickets and rebooking that wouldn't work either, because the flights consisted of five different segments, which three major segments where sold out and no other flights existed that met the time frame of the cruise ship.
The fact that this involves Travelocity and multiple airlines makes this an extremely difficult problem to fix. You may simply be forced to book any flight before the cruise on any airline that will get you there 2 days or more before the cruise. Otherwise, you face the loss of the cruise as well since it is highly unlikely that any travel insurance will cover this user error ticketing problem.

What is your itinerary and what are the dates of the cruise. With that information, someone on the forum may have some alternative travel suggestions to get you to the cruise. I gather there was no human travel agent involved. An itinerary this complicated, even if self- booked successfully really needs an experienced travel agent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
alain, this is just too sad a story, I am so sorry that such a wonderful gesture has gone off the rails. Cancel "Sally's" tix and rebook with the exact name on her passport. Don't miss the cruise!

BUT if the trip isn't for many months, you can try to work with Travelocity and/or United to see if they can do anything at all. Hang up the phone an use our company contacts to email them, waiting a week between each submission. Be very polite, remorseful, admit that the mistake was made by the person who did the booking, lean heavy on the anniversary gift aspect, and "artfully beg" them to help you. United is really trying to polish their customer service reputation, so there's a tiny possibility that they'll help. Show them proof that ANZ will correct the name if UA does. Please give us the details, dates, itineraries etc. Sometimes that will spark an out-of-the-box idea to save this tix.