United Airlines trip insurance vs United Explorer Mileage Plus trip insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 25, 2019
For the past year I have been purchasing the United trip insurance whenever I buy a United ticket. Only recently did I happen to read the benefits of my United Explorer card. The trip insurance benefits of charging my ticket with the United card sounds just like the extra insurance I have been purchasing when I buy a ticket. So its sounds like the extra insurance I purchase is a waste of money. Am I misinterpreting something here? Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should check and see if there is more coverage on one than the other. You want to make sure that you have medical insurance in case you are traveling outside the US and you want to cover your full trip, not just the air. Usually the insurance you buy through the airline only covers the flight, not the entire trip.

And make sure there aren't maximum limits. We had clients who refused to buy insurance we offered because she said her credit card offered insurance. Luckily she sent us the booklet from the cc company with the full policy. My wife read it and discovered the maximum amount of coverage for any trip was $3500. The client booked a $14,000 trip. When the client heard this, she ended up buying the policy we offered her and it was a good thing. Two weeks before her trip her husband was diagnosed with pneumonia and they had to cancel the trip. If she hadn't bought our policy she would have lost over $10,000 using the credit card policy.

Jun 25, 2019
Neil,

Thanks for your reply. We always buy additional full coverage for big trips. We recently had almost the full cost (18,000) of a Hawaii trip refunded by Tauck due to a traumatic family illness. Even our flight costs were reimbursed.

My question related only to flight coverage for other bookings and not an entire vacation trip. In reading the Explorer Card coverage it seems almost to duplicate what the United flight coverage I paid for when booking just a flight. Its difficult to compare the fine print in these polices.

Bill

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For the past year I have been purchasing the United trip insurance whenever I buy a United ticket. Only recently did I happen to read the benefits of my United Explorer card. The trip insurance benefits of charging my ticket with the United card sounds just like the extra insurance I have been purchasing when I buy a ticket. So its sounds like the extra insurance I purchase is a waste of money. Am I misinterpreting something here? Thank you.
There's only one way to tell: compare the two coverages. Make a list of them and their limits so you know exactly what you might lose if you stop buying the UA insurance with each tix you book. And keep on top of what your CC provides, just in case things change down the road. Not too long ago, "the word" was that Chase had decreased the insurance coverages on the UA Visa but left them on the Sapphire cards. I think that was soon proven false, or Chase backed down after people complained ... but you should check your coverages carefully from their website, not what you received when you first obtained the CC.

Jul 30, 2018
Glad to hear you are in the habit of purchasing trip insurance; I hope your family member is recovering well.

Perhaps you can print out the coverage from your Explorer card and the one sold when you purchase a ticket so that you can literally do a side by side comparison.

Jun 25, 2019
Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to compare the two coverages side by side as best i can.

I just received notice that United/TravelGuard/AIG paid for a rental car claim ($175) that got me back to my home airport. A couple weeks ago i flew into ORD only to find that my flight to my home airport was cancelled. So I booked to Newark instead and had to get a rental car home. If I hadn’t taken the extra insurance it looks like my Explorer credit car would still have still covered it. The Explorer card lists trip cancell/interruption insurance up to $1,500 per person and $6,000 per trip.

I think next time i book a flight only i won’t bother with the extra coverage. If something happens I’ll find out if the Explorer card coverage works.

Of course for package vacations I’ll always get the extra complete coverage as I have already seen the benefits of doing that.

Again, Neil and BittyBoo thanks for your help.