UNITED AIRLINES' RESPONSIBILITY COMPENSATING

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 17, 2019
Yesterday I filed a complaint about United Airlines. I bought two tickets from Washington Reagan Airport-Newark-Iceland.
Their flight to Newark was a bit delayed and the staff lady in gate 10A told my two daughters to go to Dulles, arranged for them to get their luggage, and told them they would fly from there directly to Iceland.
When they arrived at Dulles, nothing was prepared for them because although the lady said it was arranged, it wasn’t. The personnel from both Iceland Airlines and United knew nothing. My daughters lost their trip to Iceland and with this the tour I had already paid and the flight with Iceland Airlines to return.
I filed their “feedback” form, spoke to a customer representative, went to try to speak to someone In the San Diego airport, but so far no response. Even the employee from San Diego ( M. Kemp) said she couldn’t understand because nothing was on file. How can this be? They texted my daughter, arranged to get their suitcases and MrsKemp even showed me how unreasonable this action had been showing me her screen where the Newark flight was delayed but also the one from Iceland stating they could have stayed at Reagan. I have received my refund when I called yesterday but when I spoke to Mr.John Betia I was very clear that I was expecting compensation for the tour and the return air flight. I am a teacher and I worked really hard to give them this trip.I feel I’m at a loss against this huge organization that doesn’t reply in any direct manner. What can I do?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yesterday I filed a complaint about United Airlines. I bought two tickets from Washington Reagan Airport-Newark-Iceland.
Their flight to Newark was a bit delayed and the staff lady in gate 10A told my two daughters to go to Dulles, arranged for them to get their luggage, and told them they would fly from there directly to Iceland.
When they arrived at Dulles, nothing was prepared for them because although the lady said it was arranged, it wasn’t. The personnel from both Iceland Airlines and United knew nothing. My daughters lost their trip to Iceland and with this the tour I had already paid and the flight with Iceland Airlines to return.
I filed their “feedback” form, spoke to a customer representative, went to try to speak to someone In the San Diego airport, but so far no response. Even the employee from San Diego ( M. Kemp) said she couldn’t understand because nothing was on file. How can this be? They texted my daughter, arranged to get their suitcases and MrsKemp even showed me how unreasonable this action had been showing me her screen where the Newark flight was delayed but also the one from Iceland stating they could have stayed at Reagan. I have received my refund when I called yesterday but when I spoke to Mr.John Betia I was very clear that I was expecting compensation for the tour and the return air flight. I am a teacher and I worked really hard to give them this trip. I feel I’m at a loss against this huge organization that doesn’t reply in any direct manner. What can I do?
You can contact United: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/
Email starting at the first person in customer service and escalate weekly if no/negative response.

Read this post first: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

For specific advice, we need your daughters to post here directly and we need information such as the exact flight schedules. There is not enough information in your posting to give advice. Your daughters are the only ones who can provide the needed details.

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Did you purchase Travel Insurance or did the credit card used have TI as a benefit. You missing details will assist us in figuring out if TI would cover your additional losses.

Dec 19, 2014
Yikes. This sounds like an unfortunate situation.
But there are a lot of unanswered questions. When your daughters were told to go to Dullas, did the agent at DCA give them ANY documentation?
How long was there trip to Iceland? Even if they missed the flight on day 1, why not arrange for a flight the next day rather than giving up and pursing a refund?
United does not fly IAD-REK (at least on United metal), so I find it unlikely that they would endorse the ticket over the Iceland Air for the IAD-REK flight.

Does your daughter(s) have ANY written documentation?

Sep 19, 2015
Unfortunately airlines do not reimburse for missed tours, prepaid hotels, etc. they also do not reimburse for one way flights on an another airline.

I am not sure what happened. The outbound flight was on United but inbound on Icelandic— so two one way tickets?

What happened at DCA?

Do you have any travel insurance?

You may get miles or a voucher by writing but the airline will not reimburse for a tour or a one way flight on another airline.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
There is simply too much information that we do not know. We need to ask questions directly to the travelers who can give us 1st hand information rather than what “Mom” has heard and believes happened.
However our Mom does know if she purchased Travel Insurance and also can investigate the Benefits of the Credit Card used to book the trip as I believe the CC was hers. Many Credit Cards offer Travel Insurance benefits when that CC is used to book the trip. Please investigate.

Jun 17, 2019
You can contact United: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/
Email starting at the first person in customer service and escalate weekly if no/negative response.

Read this post first: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

For specific advice, we need your daughters to post here directly and we need information such as the exact flight schedules. There is not enough information in your posting to give advice. Your daughters are the only ones who can provide the needed details.
Thank you I will forward this to my daughters and ask them to post . I appreciate your support.

Jun 17, 2019

Read this post first: https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-comp
Yikes. This sounds like an unfortunate situation.
But there are a lot of unanswered questions. When your daughters were told to go to Dullas, did the agent at DCA give them ANY documentation?
How long was there trip to Iceland? Even if they missed the flight on day 1, why not arrange for a flight the next day rather than giving up and pursing a refund?
United does not fly IAD-REK (at least on United metal), so I find it unlikely that they would endorse the ticket over the Iceland Air for the IAD-REK flight.

Does your daughter(s) have ANY written documentation?
laints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

They were to take flight 4969 to Newark (EWR) and connect to flight 0138 to Reykjavik. They did get documentation that UA kept . My daughter is about to subscribe and explain that part.

Jun 18, 2019
Hello,
I am Camila Garcia Wright, one of the daughters that suffered from this incident. So these are all the details about the situation.

My sister and I arrived at DCA (Reagan airport) on June 16 to take UNITED FLIGHT flight UA4969 flying out at 8:30 pm and arriving at 9:56 pm at EWR (Newark). Then we were supposed to fly out at 10:40 pm to KEF (Reykjavík) and arrive at 8:40 am on June 17 on United Airlines flight UA138. This was all messed up when flight UA4969 was delayed by 46 minutes which would’ve made us miss the connecting flight. We went to the desk and were instructed by a United Airlines employee that we were going to miss the connection so they put us on Iceland Air flight leaving at 11:50 pm from IAD (Dulles Airport) from which we paid an Uber to get there. The lady told us to get our bags from baggage claim and gave us documentation to use at the Iceland Air kiosk at IAD. When we arrived the Iceland Air supervisor said that our ticket numbers did not exist and that the flight was overbooked except for 6 business select seats. United was never able to put us on the flight, and was not willing to put us in the business select class. Instead they put us on another United flight on June 17 at 6 pm and arriving to KEF at 1 or 2 pm on June 18. By that time we would have missed the two first days of the tour we had paid for and the flight from KEF to Akureyri managed by the tour so we would have missed the tour from Monday June 17 until Thursday June 20 when the tour got back to Reykjavík. We were flying back to Washington on June 21. We were refunded the tickets from Washington DC to Iceland but have not been refunded the trip back on June 21 managed by Iceland Air because they need confirmation by United.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How long was the connection for the flights? You should never book a connection with less than two to three hours in between just for this reason. And you also should fly in at least one day before a tour starts and stay over night - in case a flight is canceled.

Was the connecting flight on the same ticket as the flights from DCA? If it was booked together, then any rebooking of the first flight should have automatically rebooked you on a new connecting flight.

Did they actually print out tickets and give them to you to take to Dulles?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
They were to take flight 4969 to Newark (EWR) and connect to flight 0138 to Reykjavik. They did get documentation that UA kept . My daughter is about to subscribe and explain that part.
We still need all of the itinerary details, but 4969 arrives EWR from DCA at 9:56 PM and 138 departs EWR for KEF at 10:40 PM. That type of schedule is doomed to failure. Your daughters needed to be in EWR 3 hours before the 10:40 PM departure. There are 7 NS DCA to EWR daily on UA prior to 4969. They were on the wrong DCA to EWR flight and should never have been scheduled for this connection.

May 1, 2018
Looks like these flights only had a 44 min connection.
UA 4969 Sch to arrive at 9:56pm while UA138 S to depart at 10:40pm. That’s a missed flight even if it’s ontime. Am I reading this correctly?
Yea UA138 EWR-KEF would have started boarding at 9:40ish and closed boarding at 10:25ish. Meaning they had just 20-25 mins to get off the plane and sprint to their gate. Small challenge for a road warrior (with status, in F, at the front of the plane), but probably a fatal mistake for an inexperienced leisure traveler.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello,
I am Camila Garcia Wright, one of the daughters that suffered from this incident. So these are all the details about the situation.

My sister and I arrived at DCA (Reagan airport) on June 16 to take UNITED FLIGHT flight UA4969 flying out at 8:30 pm and arriving at 9:56 pm at EWR (Newark). Then we were supposed to fly out at 10:40 pm to KEF (Reykjavík) and arrive at 8:40 am on June 17 on United Airlines flight UA138. This was all messed up when flight UA4969 was delayed by 46 minutes which would’ve made us miss the connecting flight. We went to the desk and were instructed by a United Airlines employee that we were going to miss the connection so they put us on Iceland Air flight leaving at 11:50 pm from IAD (Dulles Airport) from which we paid an Uber to get there. The lady told us to get our bags from baggage claim and gave us documentation to use at the Iceland Air kiosk at IAD. When we arrived the Iceland Air supervisor said that our ticket numbers did not exist and that the flight was overbooked except for 6 business select seats. United was never able to put us on the flight, and was not willing to put us in the business select class. Instead they put us on another United flight on June 17 at 6 pm and arriving to KEF at 1 or 2 pm on June 18. By that time we would have missed the two first days of the tour we had paid for and the flight from KEF to Akureyri managed by the tour so we would have missed the tour from Monday June 17 until Thursday June 20 when the tour got back to Reykjavík. We were flying back to Washington on June 21. We were refunded the tickets from Washington DC to Iceland but have not been refunded the trip back on June 21 managed by Iceland Air because they need confirmation by United.
Unfortunately, your itinerary was doomed to fail from the start. The connection to EWR from DCA arriving 9:56 and departing EWR to KEF at 10:40 is simply not a viable international connection. You needed to arrive EWR at least 3 hours before your departure to KEF. There were many non-stop UA flights DCA to EWR that day. As Neil indicated above, if your tour connection was not at all flexible you needed to arrive in KEF at least one and preferably two days before your tour was scheduled to start.
It is not at all likely that UA will refund any additional $$$ as they refunded your outbound ticket already. Iceland Air may or may not refund your return. United will not pay for your lost tour.
You needed to use a travel agent who is experienced in this type of travel. If you did use a travel agent you were very badly served.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately the connection was WAY too short. As JVille said it is most likely that you would have missed the connection even if the flight was on time. These are things you need to look at when you book your own air.

They were correct in refunding you the outbound ticket - I am not sure they will offer you any more.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Was this a legal connection? I don’t think so due to being an International Departure. How was this booking allowed? Was this all One Booking or 2 separate PNR’s ?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was this a legal connection? I don’t think so due to being an International Departure. How was this booking allowed? Was this all One Booking or 2 separate PNR’s ?
I am assuming it was two separate tickets or the airline would have rebooked the connecting flight if it was all on one PNR. Cami needs to fill us in.