United Airlines cancelled my flight and did not tell me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 5, 2015
I also apologize for our computer error. I reviewed your reservation, and the problem with ticketing was not due to the travel certificate. Although the agent booked flights from Washington, D.C. through to Mumbai and back, our system only priced the flight from Mumbai to Newark, and that is the only flight that had a ticket issued. That is why you got the online message about reissuing your ticket. Your reservation contained several flights that had no ticket.

I am sorry the agent did not call you back instead of simply refunding the ticket. Agents are discouraged from making outbound calls, but this is certainly a case for which an exception was due.
Really? How is that possible? This is one scary scenario. How can a GDS price only half of the itinerary without manual intervention. I don't buy it.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Really? How is that possible? This is one scary scenario. How can a GDS price only half of the itinerary without manual intervention. I don't buy it.
United admitted they goofed. Probably an inexperienced agent or other human error. The important thing is they - eventually - fixed the issue.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
This looks like human error on the part of a United agent and then agent tried to cover own butt by claiming that the pax cancelled the ticket.
The truth came out, which is astounding, on its face. We just don't expect big companies to do this in today's cut-throat atmosphere.
The screenshot was the saving grace for the pax and I certainly hope hat I remember to do this EVERY TIME I buy a ticket.

Oct 5, 2015
And they blame the "computer" since the computer cannot talk to defend itself.

How many more victims does United have? Remember they blamed this customer first before they admitted fault.

How many rouge agents does UA have? Do they fire them or promote them?

Sep 15, 2016
And they blame the "computer" since the computer cannot talk to defend itself.

How many more victims does United have? Remember they blamed this customer first before they admitted fault.

How many rouge agents does UA have? Do they fire them or promote them?
The agent who talked to me was very well spoken and friendly. Would never have guessed she would turn out like she did.

Oct 5, 2015
Well it happened to me. Very scary scenario and I had a very very hard time making people believe on this forum.
Exactly. As a highly skilled GDS user I cannot believe some agent would VOID a ROUND TRIP ticket within 24 hours because the customer wanted to change a travel date; replace the trip with ONLY A ONE WAY ticket, cover up her screw up, LIE and BLAME the customer and the system and never admit their fault. Telling a customer that the system screwed up and they will fix the problem is STILL A LIE. The system did not screw up, the PERSON DID and they hid their mistake by doing bad things. This is beyond horrendous. Is UA management asleep or don't care?

Sep 19, 2015
The problem may be with the management in charge of that agent or the agent itself. I am really surprised that UA admitted the mistake and fixed it relatively quickly, and pleased for the OP. Hopefully someone will look internally at what went wrong.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Think in terms of he recent news that Wells Fargo fired 5000+ employees for opening fraudulent bank accounts for their own customers.
Sure, people got fired, but no one can tell me that some part of management did not know of this practice long ago, and opted to let it continue.
And -- why is no one being prosecuted?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Think in terms of he recent news that Wells Fargo fired 5000+ employees for opening fraudulent bank accounts for their own customers.
Sure, people got fired, but no one can tell me that some part of management did not know of this practice long ago, and opted to let it continue.
In fairness, I think the prosecutions are coming. It does take time.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Would that be like the 'rogue' irs agents in Cincinnati and their managers?
I hope you are correct but I'm not holding my bereath.
The FBI and the house are investigating. Hard to sweep under the rug, plus no incentive to do so

May 24, 2016
This is a bad situation and I am sorry it happened to you.

This is, however, one of those times where maybe, just maybe, the flight plan you want may still be available if using miles.

If you have any, try booking with miles. If you do not, this is where it helps to have friends, family or co workers who might have miles and would be willing to book this for you. If they do, you would simply work out with them what you can one day book for their needs. I took some friends skiing using my miles for their plane tickets and they bought me lift tickets and picked up the hotel rooms. Stuff like that. You cannot sell or barter miles--like don't go to ebay or craigslist etc, but when a friend books you a ticket with theirs, that's generally totally fine.

I am just saying this because a friend recently decided to join us on a trip where it will be $900 each way for him to fly. Well, it's only 30k miles each way to fly that same routing so another friend booked him the ticket and he will get to go for far far less than $1800. Note of course that many airlines charge a scammy "close-in" fee for using miles to book so close to departure time.

Other airlines may also fly similar routings and they too may have award seats available.
If you have a Starwood card or a Chase card that earns points and you have many of those points, now is the time to start using them.

Leave time for those connections too so you don't have to run through airports and miss flights.

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
I loved Elizabeth Warren's excoriation of Wells Fargo's CEO. Unfortunately, nothing will come of it--and you could tell by his bored expression. Until upper management is held accountable, the big corporations will behave badly and the low-level employees will be sacrificed.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I loved Elizabeth Warren's excoriation of Wells Fargo's CEO. Unfortunately, nothing will come of it--and you could tell by his bored expression. Until upper management is held accountable, the big corporations will behave badly and the low-level employees will be sacrificed.
They are a big bank. Nothing will happen to them.