United Airlines cancelled my flight and did not tell me

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 15, 2016
I had booked a RT flight on 09/14/2016 at 4:00 pm eastern time departing on 12/27/2016 from DCA-EWR-BOM and returing on 01/19/2017 from BOM-ZRH-ORD-DCA for $767 approximately (*TU*8*6). After booking it, I realized I needed to change the return date to 01/16/2017. So, I called United and was told since I had booked the lowest class "k", there weren't any tickets available in that category but I can call back later to check if any becomes available. I called back again around 3:00 pm eastern time on 09/15/2016 and the agent told me there was a round trip flight available from DCA-ORD-EWR-BOM on 12/27/2016 and returning on 01/16/2017 from BOM-EWR-CLE-DCA for only $728. I agreed to book it with her and she said she could cancel my previous flight as well which she went ahead and cancelled. I told her I wanted to use my $75 travel certificate which she used and my final price was $653 which was charged to my united mileage plus credit card. After waiting for 10-15 minutes, she said, there was an issue with the system and its taking time fir the travel certificate to process, so she told me to call back in 2 HOURS! I told her to give me a call back instead once it is processed and she took my number and also gave me the confirmation number (*Y*P*Y). I logged into my United account and looked up my reservation and it was there but with a red note saying, I need to call United reservations to have the ticket reissued. I just selected the seats and just left it at that. After 2 hours, when I did not get a call back, I called and was told that my ticket has been refunded. I was shocked! I was told that I had called to get it refunded (Big lie) and also that the booking was one way only not a round trip which was completely false as I had seen the reservation myself. Why would I cancel my initial round trip deal for $767 and just book a one way trip that too just BOM-EWR for $728??? How does that even make sense. As I have mentioned above, I even remember the layover cities, but now I cannot go back and prove that right. I am ticketless right now and the prices have more than doubled and it is not even my fault, I got screwed by a United representative. "
What can I do? Please help

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
So , to be clear, at this point you have no tickets for any date, one way or round trip? Did you ever receive an email confirmation from United that they sold you a r/t ticket on 9/14 for $767? And when you rebooked on 9/15 did you receive an email with the itinerary of a r/t journey for $728? Have you seen any charges on your credit card for any of these transactions? The prices you are mentioning do appear to be one way fares on the United website.

Sep 15, 2016
So , to be clear, at this point you have no tickets for any date, one way or round trip? Did you ever receive an email confirmation from United that they sold you a r/t ticket on 9/14 for $767? And when you rebooked on 9/15 did you receive an email with the itinerary of a r/t journey for $728? Have you seen any charges on your credit card for any of these transactions? The prices you are mentioning do appear to be one way fares on the United website.
Yes, at this point I do not have any tickets. It was a round trip, that I had booked on 9/14 for $767. I have an email confirmation for that with the entire itinerary and price breakdown for 9/14 but for 9/15 when they sent me an email it was just for the one way that too only to Newark. I wish I can access the call records, never have I said I wanted a flight just to Newark. I live in Virginia. I had booked it on United.com. I also have this charge and the other charge on 9/15 for $653 on my credit card. You won't find these prices if you book directly through united. I found these prices on google flights and I was redirected to the united website. I was monitoring the price drops for over two weeks and when I saw that deal, I just grabbed it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Here's what jumped out at me in your post: "my reservation was there but with a red note saying, I need to call United reservations to have the ticket reissued." I am very familiar with UA's procedures. When you didn't call, they did not issue the tix. Simple as that. Nobody is trying to cheat you, you didn't follow their instructions.

Set out a concise, chronological list of the facts, compose a request for what you want, be very polite and leave out all emotion. Submit to UA Customer Service. You may need to handle this by phone, but getting it all laid out straight first will make it easier for an agent to understand what happened. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Sep 15, 2016
Here's what jumped out at me in your post: "my reservation was there but with a red note saying, I need to call United reservations to have the ticket reissued." I am very familiar with UA's procedures. When you didn't call, they did not issue the tix. Simple as that. Nobody is trying to cheat you, you didn't follow their instructions.

Set out a concise, chronological list of the facts, compose a request for what you want, be very polite and leave out all emotion. Submit to UA Customer Service. You may need to handle this by phone, but getting it all laid out straight first will make it easier for an agent to understand what happened. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.
I noticed the red note right after I finished the booking with the customer rep. She took my number to call me back after the travel certificate was processed but she never did and I had to call. So how is it my fault if the rep said she will call me back after its processed and I had to call back only to find out my reservation has been cancelled? I was just following the rep's instructions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you did not cancel your wrongly dated ticket within 24 hours of purchasing you would have been charged big cancellation fee. You have 24 hours to fix or cancel a ticket at not cost. If they did not have another ticket in your category and you were coming up to the 24 hour mark, that might be why they did what they did.

Perhaps that is why they canceled your ticket, so you weren't charged the penalty.

I can also tell you that Delta on occasion has one day sales that are here today and gone tomorrow. It is very possible that you might not see the same price the next day. I can tell you that as a fact because we booked 2 tickets from JFK to AMS for $450 per ticket r/t that were gone the next day.

Sep 15, 2016
If you did not cancel your wrongly dated ticket within 24 hours of purchasing you would have been charged big cancellation fee. You have 24 hours to fix or cancel a ticket at not cost. If they did not have another ticket in your category and you were coming up to the 24 hour mark, that might be why they did what they did.

Perhaps that is why they canceled your ticket, so you weren't charged the penalty.
I was well within the 24 hour mark at 23 hours to be precise when my first reservation was cancelled with my consent and the second reservation was made which in itself should have another 24 hours. I don't think they would just simply cancel my second ticket thinking they are helping me to avoid the penalty.

Sep 15, 2016
From what I can recollect, I tried to piece together the itinerary which I was supposed to get (from memory and I have a good one) and as you can see the asking rate for the same. $2700 as compared to $728. I did not myself find this price online, it was given to me by the agent on the phone.
I was trying to go through my web cache, hoping to find something, I found something related to seat assignments for the ERJ 170 flight (EWR - CLE), but that is all I could figure out.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are correct, I just wanted a feel for the time frames involved.

I suggest using our company contacts for United on top of our pages. Write to Customer service first. Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or can't help, write to the first executive shown. Give him or her a week to reply. If they can't do anything, repeat weekly until you have gone all the way up the chain.

Sep 15, 2016
You are correct, I just wanted a feel for the time frames involved.

I suggest using our company contacts for United on top of our pages. Write to Customer service first. Give them a week to get back to you. If they don't or can't help, write to the first executive shown. Give him or her a week to reply. If they can't do anything, repeat weekly until you have gone all the way up the chain.
I don't know how to act now, since the agents I called yesterday were very unhelpful, I emailed united customer care and cc'd three executive emails I found on your page. Thankfully, I wrote the same thing what I wrote here, just my plight. Not a good idea, I guess. If I just keep waiting for their response week after week with no resolution, the ticket prices will just keep going up by the time my travel date comes up. I hope I get a resolution. Don't know if I should be optimistic.

Oct 5, 2015
There is a HUGE difference (as wide as an Ocean) between making a RESERVATION (or booking) for confirmed space and TICKETING (or paying for) it.
Unless you have a ticket you essentially have almost nothing.
If you want to CLOSE THE DEAL, buy a ticket. It's that simple.

Sep 15, 2016
There is a HUGE difference (as wide as an Ocean) between making a RESERVATION (or booking) for confirmed space and TICKETING (or paying for) it.
Unless you have a ticket you essentially have almost nothing.
If you want to CLOSE THE DEAL, buy a ticket. It's that simple.
I did buy the ticket, my credit card was charged. I even selected the seats. But if united cancels my reservation, I do not have access to it anymore to prove my point.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
These charges are just pending, but you need to make sure that these two reservations are actually cancelled before you proceed with new tickets. Have you confirmed with United that both reservations are cancelled? If you have the original confirmation numbers, someone at united can give you the flights and what the original routes were and confirm if you had a one way ticket or r/t.
If you use the United website and you have a FF account with them, they do not remove your flights from your account (even if you cancel them). They are still visible with the notation "cancelled" .

Sep 15, 2016
These charges are just pending, but you need to make sure that these two reservations are actually cancelled before you proceed with new tickets. Have you confirmed with United that both reservations are cancelled? If you have the original confirmation numbers, someone at united can give you the flights and what the original routes were and confirm if you had a one way ticket or r/t.
If you use the United website and you have a FF account with them, they do not remove your flights from your account (even if you cancel them). They are still visible with the notation "cancelled" .
I can see that both the reservations are cancelled under my cancelled trips tab but I cannot open them since they are cancelled. The second reservation, they said its one way and not a RT and that is only BOM-EWR which is not true as I myself saw the RT flight and chose my seats in all the segments. Something is amiss, the lady who booked my ticket is at fault. It's just my words against theirs. Only proof that can prove me right is to somehow listen to the call recording.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
If the tickets were cancelled and your money was refunded or never processed, you have no issue to pursue.

Sep 15, 2016
If the tickets were cancelled and your money was refunded or never processed, you have no issue to pursue.
Really? I did not authorize the cancellation and it was definitely a round trip as I had reserved the seats for 6 segments. They screwed up something and blatantly tell me that I called and told them to cancel which I never did. I should just keep quiet and purchase a new ticket for $1200+ now because of their mistake?

R

Realitoes

Really? I did not authorize the cancellation and it was definitely a round trip as I had reserved the seats for 6 segments. They screwed up something and blatantly tell me that I called and told them to cancel which I never did. I should just keep quiet and purchase a new ticket for $1200+ now because of their mistake?
Here is what it comes down to - you wanted to change the date, which luckily for you it was still within the 24 hour period to cancel your ticket and get a refund. Otherwise you would have to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. So you did request your previous ticket be cancelled, as that is the only way they could do it. After the 24 hours, they could reissue it, which would require the change fee.

Sep 15, 2016
Here is what it comes down to - you wanted to change the date, which luckily for you it was still within the 24 hour period to cancel your ticket and get a refund. Otherwise you would have to pay the change fee plus any fare difference. So you did request your previous ticket be cancelled, as that is the only way they could do it. After the 24 hours, they could reissue it, which would require the change fee.
I knew about the 24 hour rule all along and if it was beyond that time I wouldn't have changed the ticket at all. It wasn't a necessity. I got a better deal so I took it. In the end I ended up with nothing. But that is not even the point. I just want the deal that I have paid for