Unfair discrimination

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 15, 2019
I tried renting a car through the Lyft program and was informed I was on the dnr (do not rent) list due to identity theft and fraud. I was told that they caught this person and their mistake of not checking the license number to make sure the names on it and the name in the system matched before giving up a car, however, they said my license couldn't be removed that it has to stay on the list for minimum 1 year even though they know that I can prove I am not that person. I dont even live in the same state they rented the car in. No one would help me or call me back. I am now without a job due to this. I'm a single mom with 3 teenagers and I really needed this job. It's not fair! I will be going to tell my story to all of the corporate office as well as the BBB, social media, and to an attorney for unfair discrimination.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I tried renting a car through the Lyft program and was informed I was on the dnr (do not rent) list due to identity theft and fraud. I was told that they caught this person and their mistake of not checking the license number to make sure the names on it and the name in the system matched before giving up a car, however, they said my license couldn't be removed that it has to stay on the list for minimum 1 year even though they know that I can prove I am not that person. I dont even live in the same state they rented the car in. No one would help me or call me back. I am now without a job due to this. I'm a single mom with 3 teenagers and I really needed this job. It's not fair! I will be going to tell my story to all of the corporate office as well as the BBB, social media, and to an attorney for unfair discrimination.
You can reach Lyft: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/lyft/
Email starting at the first cust serv person, escalate once a week if no/negative response.
You can also try reaching them on social media. If you start posting negative comments they will ignore you.
Do not email all at once. The BBB will not help you.

Sep 19, 2015
Were you trying to be a part of the Lyft Express drive where you rent a car and work as a driver?

Take out the word discrimination— this is not discrimination. Victims of identity theft often have a long and painful process of clearing their name, and that is sadly what you have to do. The criminals do the damage and leave people like you in a bad position.

Start writing to the company in a polite calm manner.
Do not threaten to go to social media, news, etc. tell them you want to clear your name and reputation.

Good luck.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes I was approved to work for lyft driving, and the rental company they use is hertz
If you are on the DNR with Hertz you need to write to them and calmly explain and request to be taken off the list. Identity theft can take time to clear up and sorry this happened to you.