Unauthorized Transaction via PayPal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2021
Between 26th-27th April, 3 unauthorized transactions have been made via my PayPal account. All 3 payments were made in Euros, whereas I have never used anything but USD. Moreover, 2 of the transactions made were €1000+, sums so large I have never ever made such transactions in my life before. The first time I used PayPal was in early March, $14 (a small sum in DOLLARS) for a pay-per-view event. And yet PayPal doesn't seem to think that a combined transaction of almost €2200(a large, hefty sum in a foreign currency never used on my account) is unauthorized.

I filed a claim with PayPal, even spoke to an executive, however neither came through with anything to help me. The customer care gave me vague and generic responses, asking me to wait for the "10 days investigation" to be completed, all the while reassuring me that my transactions were, indeed, unarguably, fraudulent. Within 3 hours I received an email from PayPal saying my case was closed and the transaction was concluded as AUTHORIZED. I have tried to get in touch with a PayPal customer service representative, but they keep me on hold the entire time.

This is the money I needed for my tuition and certain medical expenses for my grandmother's treatment of covid. I don't know how I'm going to get it back, and even my bank says I can only file a dispute once the payment is processed completely by their system. However, I don't have much faith here either.

This forum and Elliott and his crew are the last people I can rely on. This is a very urgent and crippling matter. I am out of the country and can't come back due to covid restrictions, and at a time like this, I feel extremely helpless.
Screenshot_20210428-103743.jpgScreenshot_20210428-103743.jpg Screenshot_20210428-103647.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-103822.jpg
    Screenshot_20210428-103822.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 0

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Your next step should be to appeal their decision to the contacts in the following link:

PayPal

send them only the highlights that describe your experience - the things they "need to know"
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request (the might be "undeliverable" otherwise)
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Apr 28, 2021
Your next step should be to appeal their decision to the contacts in the following link:
PayPal

send them only the highlights that describe your experience - the things they "need to know"
do not include attachments - - offer instead to send them upon request (the might be "undeliverable" otherwise)
be sure to start at the lowest level and that you give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level
Thank you so much for the prompt reply! Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why I must be this cautious while sending them attachments or contacting them?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"I am out of the country and can't come back due to covid restrictions, and at a time like this, I feel extremely helpless."
Are you in a country where the Euro is the currency used? If so, that may be why Paypal has determined that the transactions are valid.

It sounds like your computer and or phone has been hacked and your password information has been stolen. This can easily happen if you have that information on your devices and have used an unsecured wi-fi network. You should assume that ALL of your passwords have been compromised, NOT JUST Paypal.

You need to immediately install a VPN (https://www.pcmag.com/categories/vpn) on your phone(s) and computer(s) and then change ALL passwords on your devices. Otherwise any new passwords you use will be stolen again. DO NOT change passwords on your devices until you have a VPN installed.
Also, install anti-virus and anti-malware programs on all of your devices and scan them, and set a secure sign-in for your phones and computers.

It is generally a bad idea to store passwords for any financial or shopping accounts on your computer or phone.

Sep 18, 2018
It sounds like your computer and or phone has been hacked and your password information has been stolen.
This is also why Paypal has ruled the transactions as being authorized -- because the hacker has your info to "authorize" the purchases, and that's all Paypal's computers see, not who was actually making the purchases.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
This is also why Paypal has ruled the transactions as being authorized -- because the hacker has your info to "authorize" the purchases, and that's all Paypal's computers see, not who was actually making the purchases.
With that in mind, you may have to file a police report for identity theft. I'm not sure what country you are in, so filing that report may be easier said than done. However, that type of documentation would be helpful to ultimately submit to PayPal.

Sam

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
One thing I do for both my PayPal and Venmo accounts is have 2 factor authentication set up. When I log in with my password, it will then text me a unique 6 digit code that I can use to complete the log in.

I know it does not help in this situation, but I would set it up on as many accounts as you can