Unaccomodating, poorly managed, no frills environment in Wilkes-barre, Pa

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
The reservation said 2 free breakfasts so yes I should have questioned when I was checked in and was told the voucher was for me and how ever many guests I had, clearly there were five people standing there. The person who checked me in was one of the nicest I encountered at the property so I did not question his gesture and wrongly assumed there would be no issue at the breakfast buffet or I would have clarified how many additional breakfast tickets I needed. The racist occurrence was when my guests were asked to sit in a separate room when there were available tables in the main room, this was so the hostess could go and confirm the legitimacy of the voucher that was presented. No one else was seated in the separate room with them nor were other vouchers verified on the spot. Yes your right about the holiday, I will update with any responses I receive and if nothing is received I will proceed with the shortened letter per Neil, I am not happy about this nor the negative connotations it may bring with my relationship with IHG I do see how this all could have been avoided, if the reservation said two breakfasts and five were required i should have clarified. Given what happened and the lack of any accommodation and the fact that the final person did swear at me and proceed to have us physically removed from the property and then even charging for that night warranted my contacting ihg and upper management, when that other review posted today from “dee dee” I felt I should also come here once again as this definitely is not an isolated issue this property is having about being unfriendly to guests outside of traditional, Caucasian American families.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Focus your complaint on how you were treated but your first complaint to them also claimed you were discriminated against. Just be careful because you can be deemed difficult to deal with and banned from using IHG. They did it once and you had to get reinstated- do you really want to chance it again?

If you truly feel you are being discriminated against, maybe you might consider contacting an attorney.

I’m trying to be practical for you- sometimes you need to walk away or contact an attorney to end what you see are discriminatory practices.

Sep 19, 2015
If your reservation confirmation was for two free breakfasts that implies that the occupancy for the room was for two people. They can charge more for 4.

You say you had 5 people in the suite — the maximum occupancy for these rooms seems to be 4.

The person checking you in may not have realized all those people standing by you were also staying the room.

You had a reservation rate based on double occupancy and the breakfast was for two. As an experienced Platinum traveler you are aware of these differences and hotel occupancy rules and fire codes.

Your party was asked to sit separately because of too many people for the voucher not because of race or sexual orientation and the person checking in needed to investigate the voucher issue.
It is likely no one else tried to bring in twice as many people as the voucher allowed which is why no one else was treated the same.

Aug 8, 2018
If your reservation confirmation was for two free breakfasts that implies that the occupancy for the room was for two people. They can charge more for 4.

You say you had 5 people in the suite — the maximum occupancy for these rooms seems to be 4.

The person checking you in may not have realized all those people standing by you were also staying the room.

You had a reservation rate based on double occupancy and the breakfast was for two. As an experienced Platinum traveler you are aware of these differences and hotel occupancy rules and fire codes.

Your party was asked to sit separately because of too many people for the voucher not because of race or sexual orientation and the person checking in needed to investigate the voucher issue.
It is likely no one else tried to bring in twice as many people as the voucher allowed which is why no one else was treated the same.
I do not think this cleverly crafted argument has anything to do with the reason we were treated the way we were treated and I do not think all of the “families” of four, five and six had separate rooms. As a platinum member and someone who takes weekend trips regularly I often have totals of four or five when I take my weekend trips, and could cite several examples where not only was room occupancy not an issue rather fully supported, plus one was not the issue here, I was already paying extra for the “suite” which had a king bed and a sofa bed. Also in the many exchanges I had which included in the breakfast room, with the gm, with customer relations, with the woman who called the police, finally with the police did any one say the reason for breakfast segregation, reason for no apology, reason for no accommodation, reason for dismissal was because there were five people in the room. If the person checking me and my guests in who were all standing next to me with bags and the cart really had no clue we were all together who looked right at me and engaged eye contact and said this voucher is for you and how ever many guests you have then I would assume based on my interaction with him that not only was he working at the wrong hotel but anyone who has ever checked me in that per your argument above room occupancies are to be taken so literally hotels should not offer cots, families or groups of friends beyond four always have more than one room and I am completely the culprit, this time I was caught for having one extra person in the room. Last four weekend trips I went on: Wilkes-barre,pa second hotel, all five present at check in(all five enjoyed breakfast) Springfield ct- 4(booked for 2, received four breakfast tickets at check in), midtown Atlanta, booked for one( five at check in- received five breakfast tickets plus cot request), new London ct, booked for 2,( 6 in room, received cot, paid for breakfast for all, tickets not provided), fire island, New York ( booked for two, room
Occupancy 2, (5 in room, all received breakfast). I could go on but never in any of these cases has room occupancy even been brought to my attention, nor has it been in this case. I would think when I spoke to the gm atleast or customer relations or even the police I would have been reprimanded for having five people in the room and told explicitly we are being rude to you, not accommodating you or even kicking you out because you have five people in the suite that you paid a premium for.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Weekend traveler sent me this email update:

Neil,
My initial letter did some good, that person sent a representative from Florida who is a regional director for the management company to florida to investigate the matter, she had the manager call me to offer a full apology and advised all involved in the short comings stemming from my visit were coached and counseled on diversity and hospitality. After our conversation which occurred on speaker phone with both the regional and general manager of the hotel it was offered to me a standaerd 50% credit from my stay and was asked if this was appropriate and I furthered that to ascertain that my guests tho greateful for the resolution should also have the opportunity to experience what hospitality really is and likewise asked for a two night voucher at the same property which they agreed to. I followed up with this resolution on my initial feedback and sent the attached email to the presidident of the management company’s hotel group. Never was the amount of people that I had in my room, one over the maximum allowed cited as an issue, nor anything I did, rather just a dominoe effect of who was right and who was wrong trying to supercede those who did not have a full understanding of protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.