Unaccomodating, poorly managed, no frills environment in Wilkes-barre, Pa

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
After calling guest relations, leaving a very thorough review and sending the following to the franchise board and Ihg I have gotten absolutely no follow up or resolution:
Ms. President of hotel management,
I trust you are well, I am reaching out to you, the manor hotel group, and copying IHG representatives on this email as I understand how the franchise business works. I had hoped by now I would have had some resolution and peace of mind but being it has been nearly a week since my grossly inappropriate discharge from your property In Wilkes-barre I thought I would send a note addressing my concern. I left a review on the Ihg website as a top contributor and Ihg platinum member which discusses many of the shortcomings I experienced at your hotel. I won’t get into all of the specifics rather highlight the key points that have me very concerned: My group was profiled and alienated at the hotel breakfast buffet to the point where they did not feel they belonged. When I spoke with the general manager about this rather than offer any apology or resolution he let me know that his personal who removed my travel companions to a segregated seating area and triple checked their status as guests and the validity of their buffet voucher was acting per her job. My problem, and my travel companions problem is this same profiling was definitely not taking place with the other hotel guests. She also told my guests that it would definitely not “slide” for the following day. Furthermore when I explained this to the gm he offered absolutely no resolution and furthered his dismissal of my argument by stating that the person who checked me in as an IHG platinum reward member and suggested my breakfast voucher was for me and as many guests as I had was completely wrong to do such. As I see it all Gm had to do was offer an apology and ask me how many breakfast tickets I needed, mind you at other much nicer properties I have been handed stacks of tickets I never even used. After a call with Ihg customer relations who promised resolution within 15 minutes of calling, a resolution that never occurred, I decided to request the additional tickets from the front desk upon my return that evening to the hotel. The woman at the desk seemed briefed in her response to me, as she said “I do not have any breakfast tickets for you, do not care if your a reward member, and if your unhappy you can leave my hotel.” This statement prompted an expletive from me and I decided I would leave the hotel, when I was up in my suite gathering my things, I decided to phone her and tell her I was in fact going to go to another hotel to have my reservation transferred when she answered the phone and said “*expletive* you, I’m calling the police, your getting out of my hotel”. Well the police arrived, said she had a history of profiling, saw the suite was pristine, realized the situation, gave me there card And apologized to us on behalf of the city of Wilkes-barre. We left and went to the neighboring holiday inn express confirmation and was actually able to enjoy the rest of the weekend and had a truly lovely stay there. It is my sincere hope something can be done to rectify this situation and some hard core training be put into effect at your Wilkes-barre property.

This was sent four days ago and as of yet I have had absolutely no follow up today someone not from my party posted the starched review.

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
First- your letter is way too long. Second- what profiling did this manager do? Third- if you have already left negative feedback - what incentive does the hotel have to do anything for you? If you want to negotiate something- you don’t leave a negative review until AFTER you try to negotiate with a company.

Here is a list of amenities you receive as a platinum member- no whete does it state you are entitled to free breakfast for all members of your party. Can you point us to something that states this is a benefit you are entitled to? If you can we can help you craft a better letter with the info I asked for.

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/customer-care/member-tc/2nd-pageant

Aug 8, 2018
First- your letter is way too long. Second- what profiling did this manager do? Third- if you have already left negative feedback - what incentive does the hotel have to do anything for you? If you want to negotiate something- you don’t leave a negative review until AFTER you try to negotiate with a company.

Here is a list of amenities you receive as a platinum member- no whete does it state you are entitled to free breakfast for all members of your party. Can you point us to something that states this is a benefit you are entitled to? If you can we can help you craft a better letter with the info I asked for.

The reservation included breakfast and this is posted many places the hotel advertises, also the person who checked me in gave me a breakfast coupon and said this is for you and how ever many guests you may have. The hotel charged me for a second night after I left to go check in else where, the police confirmed that they had been called to the hotel for similar non threatening situations to remove people of color who were blatantly profiled as was my group.

Attachments

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I never saw any mention of Race. How many people where in your room as registered guests? How many people did you “take” to breakfast?

Note: I do not open links

Aug 8, 2018
I never saw any mention of Race. How many people where in your room as registered guests? How many people did you “take” to breakfast?

Note: I do not open links
Profiled suggests racial discrimination; we all checked in together, there was never a request to register anyone else as a guests, this is not common, the room could hold 5 people, 5 people were in the room, 4 went to breakfast. The hotel was quite full that weekend no one else was ushered to the segregated seating area, no one else’s breakfast vouchers were asked to be surrenendered, the hostess did not go verify any other vouchers to the front desk.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
When you made the reservation you had a confirmation and it would clearly say how many you booked in that room.
As to profiling, no that would not be my first thought. As a 5’ tall woman I have been profiled and removed from the Emergency Row on airplanes more than once. So profiling takes many forms.
If you made a reservation for 1, you get one coupon. Generally free breakfast takes the form of the first 2 adults and children under 18. Once again based on the # of people on your reservation. Please review your confirmation and see if possibly “some” of the issues stem from there.
Per your post, you said the Hotel was Quite Full, was the dining room full too?

BTW the terms of the Free Breakfast are posted on the IHG website. Please double check you reservation confirmation if the terms are also listed.
Nothing justifies rude behavior and bad customer service.

Aug 8, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts and I completely agree with the logistics of your argument, the hotel unlike most standard holiday inns promotes its breakfast buffet to all guests on third party websites, again when I was checked in regardless of policy I was told my coupon was good for me and how ever many guests I had, if I perceived a requirement to have additional vouchers these would have been requested or purchaced need be at check in as to avoid any discomfort to anyone, but being that my guests were treated as if they walked off the street and everyone else was treated like guests I found it very disheartening and sought an apology from management who not only discredited my argument but also discredited the person who checked me in and offered nothing to rectify the already sticky situation. I’m assuming it was also him who stopped any future solution as when I called guest relations I was told a solution would be brought to the room in 15 minutes, I’m guessing that solutionnwas breakfast tickets, which never happened.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Copied directly from the IHG website:

Additional Savings for IHG® Rewards Club members. Breakfast for up to 2 adults when sharing a room.

This may have been part of the issue. :(

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Well I certainly would not return to that hotel. Be sure and make sure you sharing a hotel room with friends you have a confirmation showing how many you are booking the room for. I tried to make a reservation just now at that hotel and they have No Room that accommodate 5. So possibly that was another issue.
When I changed to 4 I was able to get multiple rooms.
Possibly the 3rd Party website you booked with was different.

Sep 19, 2015
Weekend traveler 84 you have been here before:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/o...-management-against-ihg-platinum-member.8439/

Under that post your complaints were under Ryan.

Now your screen name is Dee Dee from NJ in the review you attached.. Yet under the Ryan name you already posted a negative review with the same “unaccomodating poorly managed...” before the Dee Dee post.

Are you the same person as RyaninNY? How many were platinums?

Attachments

Aug 8, 2018
Weekend traveler 84 you have been here before:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/o...-management-against-ihg-platinum-member.8439/

Under that post your complaints were under Ryan.

Now your screen name is Dee Dee from NJ in the review you attached.. Yet under the Ryan name you already posted a negative review with the same “unaccomodating poorly managed...” before the Dee Dee post.

Are you the same person as RyaninNY? How many were platinums?
Dee Dee is not me I was using that post to support my argument, who ever posted that posted it today.

Aug 8, 2018
After calling guest relations, leaving a very thorough review and sending the following to the franchise board and Ihg I have gotten absolutely no follow up or resolution:
Ms. President of hotel management,
I trust you are well, I am reaching out to you, the manor hotel group, and copying IHG representatives on this email as I understand how the franchise business works. I had hoped by now I would have had some resolution and peace of mind but being it has been nearly a week since my grossly inappropriate discharge from your property In Wilkes-barre I thought I would send a note addressing my concern. I left a review on the Ihg website as a top contributor and Ihg platinum member which discusses many of the shortcomings I experienced at your hotel. I won’t get into all of the specifics rather highlight the key points that have me very concerned: My group was profiled and alienated at the hotel breakfast buffet to the point where they did not feel they belonged. When I spoke with the general manager about this rather than offer any apology or resolution he let me know that his personal who removed my travel companions to a segregated seating area and triple checked their status as guests and the validity of their buffet voucher was acting per her job. My problem, and my travel companions problem is this same profiling was definitely not taking place with the other hotel guests. She also told my guests that it would definitely not “slide” for the following day. Furthermore when I explained this to the gm he offered absolutely no resolution and furthered his dismissal of my argument by stating that the person who checked me in as an IHG platinum reward member and suggested my breakfast voucher was for me and as many guests as I had was completely wrong to do such. As I see it all Gm had to do was offer an apology and ask me how many breakfast tickets I needed, mind you at other much nicer properties I have been handed stacks of tickets I never even used. After a call with Ihg customer relations who promised resolution within 15 minutes of calling, a resolution that never occurred, I decided to request the additional tickets from the front desk upon my return that evening to the hotel. The woman at the desk seemed briefed in her response to me, as she said “I do not have any breakfast tickets for you, do not care if your a reward member, and if your unhappy you can leave my hotel.” This statement prompted an expletive from me and I decided I would leave the hotel, when I was up in my suite gathering my things, I decided to phone her and tell her I was in fact going to go to another hotel to have my reservation transferred when she answered the phone and said “*expletive* you, I’m calling the police, your getting out of my hotel”. Well the police arrived, said she had a history of profiling, saw the suite was pristine, realized the situation, gave me there card And apologized to us on behalf of the city of Wilkes-barre. We left and went to the neighboring holiday inn express confirmation and was actually able to enjoy the rest of the weekend and had a truly lovely stay there. It is my sincere hope something can be done to rectify this situation and some hard core training be put into effect at your Wilkes-barre property.

This was sent four days ago and as of yet I have had absolutely no follow up today someone not from my party posted the starched review.
Should have said “someone not from my group posted the attached review”.

Aug 8, 2018
Dee Dee is not me I was using that post to support my argument, who ever posted that posted it today.
The “dee dee from nj” post is what prompted me to come here as I realized this was far from an isolated case at this property, yes I am aware of the fact that I have been here before, which is why I returned under the same login info.

Sep 19, 2015
Yes having a review from someone who was not part of your experience can be very confusing.

Can you post the confirmation that you have? Did you book through Pricline or another 3rd party site as those 3rd party sites may have limits — Priceline limits the breakfast to double occupancy.

Attachments

Aug 8, 2018
Again I am not discrediting the argument of the confirmed breakfast tickets. I was solely going off what was told to me at check-in “this voucher is for you and how ever many guests you may have”. I assumed we were all good as everyone was standing right there, had I been told this is for you and one guest I would have asked for or purchased those required to make everyone’s stay comfortable.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This was the issue on paper but the issue and concern I had was how my guests were treated.
But thats not what you said. Your complaint also was that you wanted 5 people in your room to get free breakfast for a room that the website says only two people are supposed to have breakfast. By insisting on that many people getting breakfast you already started an argument with the hotel.

This is the second problem you have come here with about an IHG hotel reservation. So you already should know what our advice is- use our company contacts and write.

Please follow the instructions about writing to IHG that we have you in your first post about the issue you had in August.

But you should be aware that by complaining yet again about a similar problem at a hotel can get you banned from renting any IHG properties going forward. They already have you on record with a complaint three months ago.

Let us know how you make out after writing.

Aug 8, 2018
I will use the feedback thank you. There was a disconnect about who was eligible for the free breakfast or included rather from the start. I would have happily added any additional cost to the room for the three addional required breakfasts, but that does not give anyone the right to treat people like they do not belong. If there was an issue the room could have been quietly billed and it could have been discussed later. I have also stayed at four other Ihg properties and have had very, very pleasant experiences and left stellar reviews. If I am at a blatantly racist property in a part of the country that I did not fully understand could be racially subjective then I am allowed to point that out to the hotelier brand I am loyal too. I do not think being eacorted off the propert for $24.00 worth of breakfast tickets is warranted, yet it was blatantly obvious we were the only group of homosexuals on site, four of which happened to be black. The second property by the same brand greeted us with open arms, made sure our stay was comfortable and along with the Wilkes-barre police apologized to us for the way we had been treated.

Sep 19, 2015
Again where was it racist?

You keep mentioning that you are a platinum member so you are not an inexperienced traveler.

What did your confirmation say? Did you book on a third party site? What was the limit for the free breakfast?

Also being inpatient that it has almost been a week since writing and last week had a major holiday does not help, one has to be realistic in waiting time for a response.

No bad language should be directed at guests, that should not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.