Unaccommodating Aeromexico

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2018
Company you have a question or comment about: Aeromexico

My husband and I were booked on a flight from Puerto Vallarta to Tijuana, MX, with a connecting flight in MX City on Thursday 12/21/17. (Flight was booked on Orbitz). We missed our connecting flight because there were 2 flights to Tijuana within 10 minutes of each other and we were sitting at the wrong gate waiting. When it was time to board we were told that we were at the wrong flight, but when we got to the correct gate, the flight had just left. We take full accountability for that mistake but the reason I'm writing is for the lack of accommodation on the part of Aeromexico. We were told we had to exit and go back to the Aeromexico check in desk to work it out and would not let us board the flight that was leaving to the same destination even though there were open seats and it was the same airline! So we went to the check in counter, and were told that we had to purchase tickets again rather than letting us board on another flight to Tijuana without incurring another cost. So instead of allowing us to board the flight that was leaving that night, we had to wait for a flight leaving the next morning at 6:45 am. So we booked a hotel room, and woke up at 4am to make our 6:45am flight. When we arrived at the check in counter, we were told that our flight was delayed until 10:15am. As my husband and I were waiting, we looked on the departure board and saw there was an earlier flight leaving for Tijuana, around 9am. So we head back to the Aeromexico check in counter and ask if there was any room on this flight, and they said yes, but that we would have to pay for the flight AGAIN if we wanted to go on that one. We told them that we already purchased tickets to TJ but that flight was delayed until 10:15am so asked if they could accommodate us and get us on the earlier flight. They said no again, and that we would have to pay if we wanted to go on the earlier flight. Mind you, these are all Aeromexico flights, the same company that we already purchased tickets on!
My complaints are the following: if the flight that we bought was delayed from 6:15am to 10:15am (which actually was delayed again until 11:15am), why couldn't they have put us on the earlier flight at 9am that was going to the same destination? Since they were inconveniencing us by having the 5 hour delay, good customer service would have been to get us on the earlier flight.

What's your desired resolution? I would like to know if we can be refunded for the flight that we had to pay for- $79 US dollars each person (x2=$158), and possibly for the hotel room which we had to book since they wouldn't allow us to get on the next departing flight that night that we missed our flight. Hotel room- $69 US dollars.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 227

Date of transaction/travel date: 2017-12-21

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, when you miss a flight that is due to your own fault- you have to buy new tickets. An airline wont just put you on another flight- you have to purchase new tickets.

Did you have luggage that you checked? They also had to get your luggage from one flight to another as well. They could not have put you on the other flight that was leaving right around the same time as the one you missed because the manifest was already closed out for that flight. The manifest is closed usually an hour or 45 minutes before a flight is to leave.

The flight that you saw on the board when you arrived the next day was most likely a more expensive flight than the scheduled 6:25 am flight and that’s probably why they told you that you needed to pay again.

Unfortunately the airline didn’t do anything wrong by telling you that you had to buy new tickets. That’s what they all would do if you missed your flight.

Jan 6, 2018
Okay, thank you for informing me of the airline's policies re: purchasing another flight. I was not aware of that.
I forgot to mention the luggage issue we had when we arrived in Tijuana the next day. Our luggage was not there. The airport representative said that Aeromexico should have arranged for our luggage to arrive at our final destination. We had to file a claim and luckily our luggage was found 2 days later. Somehow it ended up in LAX airport which we didn't even fly into.

Sep 19, 2015
If one is not ticketed for a flight one is not getting on it-- Despite the same destination. Names have to be on flight manifests and that is how the count is done. One has to go back to ticketing and get the right boarding pass.

I had a serious delay -- with ORD LGA (Chicago New York)-- my 730 pm pushed to 920 -if I wanted to take the 830 I had to go back to ticketing--- this is not something the gates do.
It is not just destination and airline but flight number that one has to pay attention to- when my 730 flight was delayed to 920 it left within minutes of the regularly scheduled 930 flight.

As for the luggage issue the fact that the original flight was missed complicates the matter. The luggage may have been pulled from the flight and ended up on the wrong cart -- not great but it did arrive two days later.

Aeromexico really does not have to accommodate travelers who make mistakes. Very few airlines do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Okay, thank you for informing me of the airline's policies re: purchasing another flight. I was not aware of that.
I forgot to mention the luggage issue we had when we arrived in Tijuana the next day. Our luggage was not there. The airport representative said that Aeromexico should have arranged for our luggage to arrive at our final destination. We had to file a claim and luckily our luggage was found 2 days later. Somehow it ended up in LAX airport which we didn't even fly into.
I am willing that bet your luggage was loaded onto your connecting flight when you arrived Mexico City. It wasn’t waiting for you when you arrived in Tijuana or they didn’t have it held at the Tijuana airport? When you miss the flight your luggage is on and it’s unclaimed at the next airport the airline usually collects the leftover luggage and holds it. If you had gone to the baggage claim office when you got to Tijuana- they might have had the bags there.

If you missed your connecting flight due to an airlines issue- then they will put you on a new flight at no cost. But when it’s the passengers fault- you always have to buy a new ticket.

I hope we were able to explain the why’s for you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, you've certainly added some education for many on this forum, Mary. There are so many factors involved ... the seats on your missed flight flew empty for example. You'd think that the airline would put you on another flight ASAP, but so many flights take off full these days. It's a downright mess out there ... and the only viable rule seems to be "get more money from the traveller".

I m beginning to think that Gate Agents are a major stumbling block to good airline customer service. If they are not empowered to make positive decisions when there are glitches, they become a big problem, and the traveller is expected to 'just wander off and stop annoying me'". In their own defense, when there's a major problem like cancellation of a flight, they become overwhelmed with needy travellers. After the first dozen, I would imagine their patience and problem-solving ability is worn pretty thin.

Jul 27, 2016
If one is not ticketed for a flight one is not getting on it-- Despite the same destination. Names have to be on flight manifests and that is how the count is done. One has to go back to ticketing and get the right boarding pass.

I had a serious delay -- with ORD LGA (Chicago New York)-- my 730 pm pushed to 920 -if I wanted to take the 830 I had to go back to ticketing--- this is not something the gates do.
It is not just destination and airline but flight number that one has to pay attention to- when my 730 flight was delayed to 920 it left within minutes of the regularly scheduled 930 flight.

As for the luggage issue the fact that the original flight was missed complicates the matter. The luggage may have been pulled from the flight and ended up on the wrong cart -- not great but it did arrive two days later.

Aeromexico really does not have to accommodate travelers who make mistakes. Very few airlines do.
On multiple occasions, I've had gate agents switch me to other flights without needing to go back to the ticket counter. Can't recall ever having to go back to the ticket counter.

Sep 19, 2015
On multiple occasions, I've had gate agents switch me to other flights without needing to go back to the ticket counter. Can't recall ever having to go back to the ticket counter.
With the ORD flight I mentioned I had to go to customer service which is past security-- gate agent would not do it. For numerous international European flights in foreign countries any changes meant back out through security if there was no customer service desks in the terminal.

And being a no show canceled the OPs ticket. Gate agent is not going to change a canceled ticket and give a boarding pass to a new flight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
With the ORD flight I mentioned I had to go to customer service which is past security-- gate agent would not do it. For numerous international European flights in foreign countries any changes meant back out through security if there was no customer service desks in the terminal.

And being a no show canceled the OPs ticket. Gate agent is not going to change a canceled ticket and give a boarding pass to a new flight.
Exactly. Missing a flight that isn’t due to the airline is a totally different animal. When it’s the airlines fault- they can rebook you at the gate. When it’s your fault, you have to buy a new ticket and they don’t do credit card transactions at the gate.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Nov 12, 2016
Well, you've certainly added some education for many on this forum, Mary. There are so many factors involved ... the seats on your missed flight flew empty for example. You'd think that the airline would put you on another flight ASAP, but so many flights take off full these days. It's a downright mess out there ... and the only viable rule seems to be "get more money from the traveller".

I m beginning to think that Gate Agents are a major stumbling block to good airline customer service. If they are not empowered to make positive decisions when there are glitches, they become a big problem, and the traveller is expected to 'just wander off and stop annoying me'". In their own defense, when there's a major problem like cancellation of a flight, they become overwhelmed with needy travellers. After the first dozen, I would imagine their patience and problem-solving ability is worn pretty thin.
The other thing at play here is, it is Latin America where it's all about the process, doesn't matter if is the thing to do or it is common sense, or even if it is money saving for the airline itself it is all about the process. Just the way it is in Latin America.