Unacceptable treatment

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 27, 2019
I paid the first class fare. No upgrade. An apology would be nice. Be clear - I wasn’t happy about being out in economy due to my broken seat. They explained that it was my bad luck that it was my seat. Where things went off the rails for me was when I discovered it was not my seat at all. It was an out right lie.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I paid the first class fare. No upgrade. An apology would be nice. Be clear - I wasn’t happy about being out in economy due to my broken seat. They explained that it was my bad luck that it was my seat. Where things went off the rails for me was when I discovered it was not my seat at all. It was an out right lie.
I think your frustration is valid, that you were told your seat was broken yet someone was actually sitting in it. I suggest you tell the customer service rep you have been communicating with that you would like a written apology for your experience. Sometimes we need to let them know what it is we are asking for and an apology is a reasonable request.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think your frustration is valid, that you were told your seat was broken yet someone else was sitting in it. I suggest you tell the customer service rep you have been communicating with that you would like Sometimes we need to let them know what it is we are asking for and an apology is a reasonable request.
Debbie, I can empathize with your frustration and anger. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with today's travel climate when we are so rarely told the truth. I do understand how pressued and busy gate agents are, and I know the kinds of self-centered fits that people pitch. But there's no excuse for telling you such a blatant lie ... one that you got slapped in the face with as you headed down the aisle to economy.

In my experience, Air Marshalls occupy the aisle seat in the first (bulkhead) row. So the guy in your seat may have been assigned to 1B or E originally, and moved for the AM. There are so many ways that AA could have tactfully explained this to you without revealing any secure information. But, my colleagues are right, they didn't and AA really doesn't care about a single passenger's inconvenience and distress. I would be asking for enough miles for a o/w domestic tix up front . It's the least they can do for such a blunder. An apology wouldn't be sincere anyway, so you might as well enjoy a complimentary flight sitting up front. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Debbie77 Here's kind of the cold hard truth... When something goes wrong, the airline has to chose who they're going to piss off. They aren't going to risk pissing off the ConciergeKey member paying full fare regardless of anything else. They could honestly care less about the no status award ticket passenger. Between those two, most airlines have an algorithm that makes the choice on who gets bumped. They can look at check-in time, FF status and review fare class of the ticket (in order to avoid lawsuits, they will make sure that neither age, sex, religion, etc play any role) . While the gate agent can influence the system (person x isn't at the gate in time they can move the bumped person), most often its just easier for them to let the computer system deliver the bad news....

At this point, AA isn't going to admit to discrimination, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. They probably won't even say they're wrong. Someone had to lose and it was you, which sucks...

Come up with something reasonable that you want... As a customer paying for a first class fare, you might get it... but it has to be reasonable like the average difference between First Class and Economy refunded in cash (not the difference between a first class fare and the walk up fare), miles for a first class seat to HI, a refund in AA funny money for the fare. Any of those might work.

Its hard but don't take it personally... Its just business. If you start talk about discrimination, there's a real good shot you'll get nothing.

Have at it!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for your response John. I am most annoyed about the lying. The gate agent said the it was just my bad luck that it was MY seat that was broken. As I mentioned, it was not my seat. If they had explained it honestly, this would not have escalated.
I don’t for a second believe that every other person in first class was flying on a purchased ticket - not on points or an upgrade.
I appreciate your advice.

Mar 23, 2015
Did they give you a new boarding pass and take the old one with the FC seat number on it? If I still had the original one, I think I'd have stopped at the original seat and said, "Oh dear, it appears, you're in my seat," in the sweetest most syrupy southern voice possible, just to see what happens. But, I do like to mess with people sometimes.