Uh oh...here is Trouble

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
I read about this a few weeks ago. The article I read said the censorship seems to be commensurate with how much a particular resort is paying Trip Advisor.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Not surprised - we have been hearing this from clients that they post and the posts are removed. This was a frequent complaint about the resort that the brother and sister got very sick at and the sister died and the parents believed their drinks were drugged.

My wife knows a travel writer who told her that she as contacted by someone offering her money to post positive reviews on Trip Advisor.

We tell people to really read the reviews. and see if they see the same complaint over and over. We just had a big issue in China with our tour operator. We were there at a conference and the conference put together a tour of Beijing and Xian after the conference. They put us in a filthy hotel in Beijing. My wife was nervous about it because she looked at Trip Advisor reviews and saw multiple reviews talking about mold in the bathrooms. Yet people had rated it 3 and 4 stars.

We arrived at the hotel and it was worse than what was reported. Every agent on the tour had mold in their bathrooms and the carpets were stained and so old they actually crunched when you walked. My wife contacted the main tour offices in Chicago and asked how they could put anyone in that hotel and the answer was - they don't use hotels in the main cities, they use hotels on the outskirts (you get what you pay for) and the agent group wanted the hotel to be in Beijing. They used to use this hotel and went on Trip Advisor and saw it rated 3.5 stars and booked it.

My wife was was furious and asked "Did you actually READ the reviews? Every review mentions mold in the bathrooms - I don't understand how anyone can rate this place 4 stars and say the rooms are moldy!"

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sounds awful, Neil. Don't they have bleach in China? That would get rid of the mold for at least the time you occupy the room. Ugh, to treat a bunch of TAs like this is really weird.