Uber

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2019
I purchased a gift card from Uber and added it to my account. However, I have been unable to use it despite asking for help from their support team. I have sent them screenshots and explanations daily. They keep saying the same thing, "send a screenshot" provide more details. They have also said the gift card was temporarily on hold for security reasons and the restriction was now lifted, however when I went to use the gift card as a method payment I still could not do this. Now they have suspended my account for violating terms and conditions and they have not told me why. It is not fair that I use the $100 I purchased a gift card with. Any suggestions?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you have an Uber account already? I’m not sure I understand the purpose of buying your own gift card to use on your account. Is this how you redeemed it?

To redeem a gift card, the recipient will simply enter the code shown on the card into their Uber app before requesting a ride or other service. The cards are valid in any city where Uber operates in the country where the card was purchased.Mar 22, 2019

Is this how you purchased it:

Can I buy an eGift Card for myself?

Yes. To do so, go to the "Email" tab underneath "How would you like to deliver your eGift Card?" On this tab, enter your name in the "Recipient Name" field and your email address in the "Recipient Email" field. Complete the transaction normally. When you receive your eGift Card email, follow the instructions in the email to retrieve and redeem your eGift Card.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Purchasing a gift card for yourself sounds odd. I'm sure they're trying to figure out if this is some kind of new scam. What's the reason behind buying the gift card in the first place?

Sep 20, 2019
Hi,
Yes I do have an account. For some reason Uber would not accept my debit cards as methods of payment, maybe because I moved to Florida from Massachusetts? Anyway, they suggested I buy a gift card to add to my account which I did. I followed the instructions on how to use it but the message came up OOPs something went wrong choose a different payment method. This has been going on for days. They said the card was temporarily suspended for security reasons but lifted the restriction and when I tried to use it again it still did not work. I received the same response several times.
They had me change my password and said they have a special team reviewing my account. I am afraid I am going to lose that $100.

Sep 20, 2019
Hi,
It was their suggestion because the debit cards I gave them they would not accept. I think it is because I moved to Florida from Mass. and one is a credit union debit card and the other is a debit paycard.

Apr 6, 2017
I suspect its the payment section---its not obvious but you need to go in and chg your payment method. Unfortunately UBER has terrible customer service and wont guide you thru it. Once in payment section--its there but "hidden"...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I suspect its the payment section---its not obvious but you need to go in and chg your payment method. Unfortunately UBER has terrible customer service and wont guide you thru it. Once in payment section--its there but "hidden"...
Steve might be correct- if you are using a debit card that might be the issue. All debit cards are not accepted. You may have to add a credit card.

And for your own safety it’s never a good idea to use a debit card for any type of travel.any companies put a hold on a card when you first arrive or or order service and the actual charge goes through a few days later, resulting in a double hold and the possibility they’re might not be enough money in the checking account. In addition you don’t have the same chargeback protection you would with a cc. If you needed to dispute a charge, you don’t have the same rules.

From Uber:

https://help.uber.com/riders/articl...d?nodeId=47725658-daf6-4fc9-8835-94a465b5b467

You might need to put a credit card on the account to be able to add the gift certificate.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Some, people are loath to have a credit card ‘on file’ with rampant hacking etc.
I would think a gift card would work well for that purpose.
It sounds to me more like is the gift card valid or legit? Maybe the code had been copied and already used.
Uber has practically no CS.
I have a cash credit on Uber that I have been unable to use as it is never enough to cover the fare I am choosing. I guess I have the option to add more, but how would I know how much to add? I’m not understanding why I cannot use the cash and then pay the remaining with my credit card in their system.
The art of using the app is not easy as it seems to be time restricted. Hurry up and choose before the cost goes up. Stressful for me on the small iPhone screen.
One driver wouldn’t let us in the car as he said I had indicated only one passenger and there were two of us. Said he would get in trouble if he let us both in. He reported us as no show and I was fined. Hence the credit when I complained. All other transactions worked well.