Uber = NO customer service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2016
We had a bad experience with Uber's nonexistent "customer service". We used Uber for a ride in Nashville. The first driver arriving was Shaun in a white durango with a listed license number (which I do not have). When he arrived, there was a printed sign on the passenger door stating that anyone entering the vehicle had to pre-agree to leave him a 5 star review (which we ignored). When we sat down, he announced there were two "rules" he was enforcing. 1. His vehicle was "modified" (illegal muffler modification) and was extremely loud, and that we would not mention that in a review and would give him 5 stars, and that if we reneged and gave him less stars, he would do the same to us. I would not agree to this so he cancelled the ride, and we exited. (never found out what the second "rule" was!!) I wanted to let Uber know about this obvious violator of their rules. Since we did not take the ride, the usual mechanism to rate a ride was not available. After doing extensive googling, I found that it is near impossible to contact Uber by phone, email or any way EXCEPT to go to their Facebook page and do a message. I did that. The receiver of the message put us in touch with customer service by email. Unfortunately that was also worthless, as their responses could have been computer generated. They did not read our issue, and said we should rate the driver through the app (impossible since the ride was cancelled). After going back and forth several times with the CSR, and seeing they were paying NO ATTENTION to what I wrote, I gave up. They should know, from their side of their platform, what driver was originally assigned to us. Bad drivers are clearly of no interest to them!

May 15, 2016
well, I take that back partly...I reported it to the first contact and it bounced back - the contact info is no good. (josh butler) I'll try again with the next.

May 15, 2016
and the next best contact is also no good...andrew mcdonald - although he is still listed as a present officer on their website. Judging by the format of the new President's email address, perhaps your format is all wrong. The dot between first and last name perhaps should be an underline. I will try that also.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Please post the "bounce back" message. All the addresses for Uber here report as valid on the site I use to check them, and the specifics of the message will help determine what you are seeing.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
My guess is you are glad you didn't take the ride with him....the muffler issue would have been a deal-breaker for me. Not because it was illegal but because those things are obnoxious! I would have hated to hear that thing all the way to my destination. Please let us know your progress. I am super interested in if Uber even cares about this driver. He makes money, they make money, that is all they care about.

May 15, 2016
My guess is you are glad you didn't take the ride with him....the muffler issue would have been a deal-breaker for me. Not because it was illegal but because those things are obnoxious! I would have hated to hear that thing all the way to my destination. Please let us know your progress. I am super interested in if Uber even cares about this driver. He makes money, they make money, that is all they care about.
It is sad, but the new dot.coms and gig economy "inventions" are so very useful and important to our lives. But customer service is poor to non-existent. I read such horror stories on Elliot's. Uber, VRBO, AirBnB, Ebay, Paypal, Craigslist, even Amazon - they are no longer responsive. They are "platforms".

May 15, 2016
This appears to me to be a system issue.

Can you send emails elsewhere?
Are you sending from a corporate email account?
no no no! This is from my regular personal gmail account. I send out a dozen emails a day. If it is a 'system' issue, it isn't my system, I can assure you!

May 15, 2016
by the way, in your list of contacts you have 3 different formats. firstname.lastname firstname_lastname and firstinitiallastname

just on that alone, you should be able to decipher that these emails are not good!

May 15, 2016
Are you including attachments? That could make the emails bounce back.
no I am not including attachments - plain old regular emails, and the bounce-back says the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive emails so it seems pretty clear to me that the problem is the obvious one - just try it yourself! Send a test email to the addresses on the Elliot's site, just stating something like "I like Uber - it's great!" . Of course it would be meaningless (and ignored) if it went through - but it won't! Finally I will be believed.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
It is sad, but the new dot.coms and gig economy "inventions" are so very useful and important to our lives. But customer service is poor to non-existent. I read such horror stories on Elliot's. Uber, VRBO, AirBnB, Ebay, Paypal, Craigslist, even Amazon - they are no longer responsive. They are "platforms".
So true. The model is they are basically a modern day classified ad company....they offer a place for people to peddle their 'wares' but wash their hands of any responsibility or customer service. AirBnb is a good example. They have thousands of listings that are known to be illegal but they don't care. If a problem arises, they make minimal effort to rectify the situation and those rare instances that they really go to bat for the customer is not effecting their bottom line since they make up for the loss by allowing all those illegal listings.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So true. The model is they are basically a modern day classified ad company....they offer a place for people to peddle their 'wares' but wash their hands of any responsibility or customer service. AirBnb is a good example. They have thousands of listings that are known to be illegal but they don't care. If a problem arises, they make minimal effort to rectify the situation and those rare instances that they really go to bat for the customer is not effecting their bottom line since they make up for the loss by allowing all those illegal listings.
I couldn't agree more. We consumers seem to be constantly trying to apply the "usual" rules to entities that don't really exist (as they did in the past). I look at Uber, for instance, as a bunch of kids who came up with this wonderful idea and it works most of the time. Everyone talks about it, Wall Street thinks it's great, it's all embraced it as wonderful idea ... until it's not. And when it doesn't work, nobody cares except the customer. "The kids" don't care about an individual customer or driver, they are still having fun watching their wonderful idea work, or not work. They really don't care if it works or not. If it stops working some day, they'll just move on to another wonderful idea.