UBER Discrimation and Corruption in Zurich, Switzerland Greenhub

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2018
My Uber Driver account was deactivated a month ago, and I have been trying to learn the reason of deactivation last couple of weeks and resolve any issues in my account if I could. However, despite all of my efforts to communicate with Uber staff at Greenlight Hub center in Zurich, not only I was rejected at door couple of times, but I was also insulted and told to leave because of "too much complaints on my profile". Furthermore, I also tried all sorts of phone, email, social media and in-person Uber support communication ways in Europe and US, I traveled to Amsterdam to find someone else to talk to, but could not find anyone else who can activate my account. Since Zurich Greenlight Hub center staff was always the first responders for support, there was no way I could find someone via phone/email/social media in Europe. However, I was able to explain my situation in Amsterdam and when I reached phone line in US, and when they look at my account they told me that they cannot see a valid reason for deactivation, but they cannot activate my account either !

I have 9 years of VIP driving experience in concierge services from one of the best hotels in Zurich, I have certificates and references that can prove that I am better than an average driver and capable of driving at VIP service level. Also I have been driving Uber since 2 years with better than average ratings (4.82) and I have given more than 2000 rides so far, and from my experience in this region I know that there are worse drivers with much worse ratings who are still driving Uber. So, I believe and strongly feel like the only reason I was rejected was because of my skin color or my ethnicity, I am a Swiss citizen however I wasn't born here and I do not share the same white skin color with them, so they can separate me from others from my look or my accent, and it appears like that is enough reason for Uber staff to reject me and Uber support cannot do anything about it.

Ultimately I am disappointed with a fact that I was not only discriminated by a racist personnel, but also cheated just a week before deactivation. Because before deactivation, I was encouraged to drive "Uber Black" by Uber and bought a new car with 50.000chf of car loan. The same Uber staff, who is rejecting me at the door right now, registered this car at the same Uber center just before deactivation, there was no problem a week before, so if I am a bad driver with "too much complaint" why I wasn't told before, did it all happen in a week ? Now I am left 50.000chf car loan and unemployed. I do not want to believe that this is the way Uber is doing business in Europe, however I ran out of communication options and I am hoping someone could at least explain the reason for deactivation and if not because of discrimination here. I know the fact that staff in this Uber center is only using "nicknames" in workplace, and when I talk to other Uber drivers here I also learnt that they are getting bribed to activate/deactivate accounts as they wish (they are also selective about it they do not accept money from anyone) and it appears like there is no way to talk someone else from Uber support vie phone/email since they are always the first responders.

Can someone from Uber Management explain this to me, is there any control mechanism or hierarchical upper management above these people ? Is racism, discrimination and bribery allowed in company rules and operating procedures ?

Last edited:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
So you are or were an Uber driver? I read you message and thought you were an Uber customer. Please clarify and you may want to adjust your narrative to reflect that.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It would be helpful if you made a list, in chronological order, of the facts. I cannot understand what your issue is, except that you bought a very expensive car and now cannot use it. Please be concise, leave out all emotion (skip the racist comments for instance) and just state the facts. We will help you if we can.

Sep 19, 2015
Uber is known for deactivating drivers after one serious customer complaint; they often take a good customer's word for it. Here is a blog about being fired from Uber and how to get reactivated.

https://www.ridesharingdriver.com/fired-uber-drivers-get-deactivated-and-reactivated/

Unless one has proof of bribery or racism it is best not to mention it; this is not to say that those are not issues, but once one claims criminal or discriminatory conduct it is likely that communication will stop out of concern for legal issues.

Please note that most of here have little knowledge on Swiss laws and how they apply to Uber. If the decision is made to fire a driver at the local level (ie Switzerland) I am not sure what Uber in the US or any other city can do.

Apr 10, 2018
What is your rating number on your Uber profile? 4.82? Have you any recently complaints? It is odd that with a 4.82 rating you would be deactivated.
4.82 was the last rating on my profile. I had one recent complaint because of I picked up a passenger at airport and he was smoking weed inside the car so I had to drop him because this is illegal in Zurich.

Apr 10, 2018
It would be helpful if you made a list, in chronological order, of the facts. I cannot understand what your issue is, except that you bought a very expensive car and now cannot use it. Please be concise, leave out all emotion (skip the racist comments for instance) and just state the facts. We will help you if we can.
I was trying to summarize what I have been through last couple of weeks, this is a long story since this was my fulltime job and last couple of weeks I have spent my entire time to talk someone from Uber not only support but I was also talking to other drivers. I went to Uber Greenlight Hub they told me different reasons everyday, they told me to go and come back next day, next week wait for the chief, etc. Basically they were playing with me and recently they started rejecting me at the door and they don't let me in right now. I have a lot more to say, and I can explain everything in detail however my main goal here was to reach out people and share what I have been through, see if anyone from Uber management sees this and approve, or if there is anyone else out there deactivated for similar reason or faced discrimination like me. And in Europe racism and discrimination is a serious problem, people get fired without any reason and loose their job workplaces like this, and employers usually do not held responsible like in US.

Apr 10, 2018
And the issue is there is no one from Uber support I can really talk who has authority to activate/deactivate my account. People in Greenlight Hub Centre in Zurich is reckless, racist and corrupted, they do not talk to me any more. On top of that I was insulted, faced to discrimination and lied by Uber staff. Also about the expensive car, I am saying that I was cheated in the process of buying this car because Uber is using "Uber Black" as a marketing tool and encouraging drivers to drive Uber Black and I consulted Uber staff before I buy this car, they registered the car to my account then I got deactivated a week later, now I lost 10-15000chf because of that. If I am a bad driver why would you encourage me to driver Uber Black, and why did you register the car and deactivated me a week later, is that a coincidence.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What are the doing that you consider discrimination?

There are so many things you mention that I have no idea what you mean. What is it about the car? You bought a new car and it isn’t what Uber wants?

I suggest you go to the help screens again and request assistance in getting company contacts for Uber. I don’t think we have them and it seems that is what you need.

Apr 10, 2018
What are the doing that you consider discrimination?

There are so many things you mention that I have no idea what you mean. What is it about the car? You bought a new car and it isn’t what Uber wants?

I suggest you go to the help screens again and request assistance in getting company contacts for Uber. I don’t think we have them and it seems that is what you need.
I was saying that this is a discrimination because the Uber staff here is separating me from other drivers because of my accent and where I come from, and
giving a decision based on that and disabling my account without an obvious reason. In that case, they have to explain me or prove that this decision is taken with following company operating procedures, and if you only do this to certain type of people like me then this is called discrimination
. I also know this from the fact that I talk to other Uber drivers in my neighborhood and at airport, drivers usually talk to each other and share feedback about them.

Apr 10, 2017
There are corporate contacts for Uber. Here they are:

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/

I would suggest reading the recommendations on this page and construct an email accordingly. Start with the first contact and send the email. Make sure it is polite, concise, and devoid of emotion. I would avoid any accusations of discrimination. Wait a week for a response. If you don't hear anything or the response is unfavorable, write to the next person on the list. Continue this process of moving up the chain of command. If you have finally reached the CEO with no resolution come back here for what to do next. Remember that you want whoever is reading your email to want to help you and that person isn't responsible for what happened.

http://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-resolving-a-consumer-dispute/#letter

Apr 10, 2018
There are corporate contacts for Uber. Here they are:

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/

I would suggest reading the recommendations on this page and construct an email accordingly. Start with the first contact and send the email. Make sure it is polite, concise, and devoid of emotion. I would avoid any accusations of discrimination. Wait a week for a response. If you don't hear anything or the response is unfavorable, write to the next person on the list. Continue this process of moving up the chain of command. If you have finally reached the CEO with no resolution come back here for what to do next. Remember that you want whoever is reading your email to want to help you and that person isn't responsible for what happened.

http://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-resolving-a-consumer-dispute/#letter
Thanks ADM, I already tried this actually, I directly sent email before this thread and I am pretty sure it wasn't like this, it was more polite and apologetic, didn't mention discrimination. However there was no reply except one auto reply which was saying the person was out of office.

Sep 19, 2015
EdUber I do think polite and apologetic is the way to be. The person reading your letter is not the one who caused the problem but may be able to assist you and it is best to appear professional and conciliatory. Do they want you to take a course on dealing with difficult customers — fine — show them that you are open and willing to learn and improve. Yes it is hard but by being calms and polite it will show how reasonable you are in a stressful situation. This is advice given to all no matter what the issue.

Hope you have success.