Uber disabled

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2019
Dear All,

I am reaching out for assistance after my Uber account was banned/disabled today. I’ve been a rider since 2015. Recently moved to New York from Houston and my riding experience has been drastically different unsurprisingly.

I’ve kept a log of Uber rides I deemed unprofessional due to speeding and other issues with some drivers from collateral/damage control. Yesterday I reported several drivers and asked to not be matched with them in the future.

As a result, my profile was banned due to breaching the terms and conditions. No specific reason was given and my account was promptly closed.

What can I do/what can be done to have my account reactivated. All of my inquiries to Uber Support are automated or copy/paste responses from Uber’s support team.

Not having my Uber account (along with beneficial Uber eats) is debilitating in New York.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and advice.

Apr 15, 2019
Do any of these apply?

See: https://www.uber.com/legal/community-guidelines/us-en/
look under "WHY RIDERS CAN LOSE ACCESS TO UBER - US ONLY" . . .
Hi there,

No, none of these apply. Just reporting 3 drivers over the course of 3 months in bulk. I believe this may have put a red flag on my account. This comes after an unsafe ride I experienced yesterday. I decided to report the three drivers so I may not be matched again with them. I regret the decision now.

I take uber 4x-5x weekly and it’s been a trend for a year now. With a ratio like this, I wouldn’t have thought my account would be banned.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Shammond we've got Company Contacts for Uber here. Prior to writing please read how to write here. It's likely that you reported the 3 drivers at the same time but you never now. Since you've already talked with customer service I would reach out Daniel Graf first. Don't attach anything to your email and don't email all the contacts at once. Wait at least a week between correspondence. I realize waiting a week is not optimal but you've got to give the contact time to hopefully help with your problem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The drivers may have retaliated for your negative reports. "Yesterday I reported several drivers and asked to not be matched with them in the future."
Apparently they may have deemed you to be the problem - you said you reported three in three months but then say you reported several yesterday - that is excessive.

Use Carries information on writing and appeal to Uber. But you may have to get used to NY - it is not the same as being in Houston. Best of luck in your appeal - let us know how you make out.

Apr 15, 2019
@Shammond we've got Company Contacts for Uber here. Prior to writing please read how to write here. It's likely that you reported the 3 drivers at the same time but you never now. Since you've already talked with customer service I would reach out Daniel Graf first. Don't attach anything to your email and don't email all the contacts at once. Wait at least a week between correspondence. I realize waiting a week is not optimal but you've got to give the contact time to hopefully help with your problem.
Wow, indeed it is a process! Thank you for these resources- I will follow the instructions carefully. I’ll follow up if and when I get a response.

Apr 15, 2019
The drivers may have retaliated for your negative reports. "Yesterday I reported several drivers and asked to not be matched with them in the future."
Apparently they may have deemed you to be the problem - you said you reported three in three months but then say you reported several yesterday - that is excessive.

Use Carries information on writing and appeal to Uber. But you may have to get used to NY - it is not the same as being in Houston. Best of luck in your appeal - let us know how you make out.
I feel so foolish now thinking that would be effective (assuming I’d get higher rated drivers in the process). I will keep the thread updated!

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Shammond it is a process but it usually gets things resolved. If you peruse the forums you'll see that people that follow the process who have a true grievance can usually get a successful resolution. From what you've said it seems that the three reports triggered the ban and it would need an exec to do an override. If you want to post your email here prior to sending, please do so and we can help edit/critique.

Sep 19, 2015
Could Uber have flagged the account for excessive complaints?

One thing I have to say as a New York City resident -- drivers tend to be aggressive here -- and I am not just referring to Uber or taxis.

What issues were reported? Speeding? Where?

Apr 15, 2019
@Shammond it is a process but it usually gets things resolved. If you peruse the forums you'll see that people that follow the process who have a true grievance can usually get a successful resolution. From what you've said it seems that the three reports triggered the ban and it would need an exec to do an override. If you want to post your email here prior to sending, please do so and we can help edit/critique.

I wish I’d read this sooner! I sent the email to Daniel, here is what I wrote:

Dear Daniel,

I hope this finds you well. My name is *redacted*, an Uber rider since 2016. I am reaching out for your assistance for an issue I am currently having with my account and hopefully a resolution.

On Sunday, April 15th, I reported several (3) Uber drivers I have recently had on account of unprofessional driving. My motive was to no longer be partnered with these drivers as well as hopefully getting higher rated drivers to prevent any further issues.

I’ve kept a log of Uber drivers that were unprofessional (speeding, weed aromas, etc.) for a paper trail if something should occur. In 2017, I had an unsettling experience with a rider that has made me become more careful and cautious while using Uber.

Because of the reports that I submitted to Uber, my account was deactivated due to breaching Terms and Conditions. I feel this is conflicting due to being encouraged to rate/report should something occur.

Uber is very beneficial and helpful in my daily life. To resolve the problem, I would appreciate your assistance in helping me reactivate my account. I will supply any supporting evidence/documents (written log of incidents) needed.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait 5 business days before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me at the above email address or by phone *redacted*. Both phone number and email are linked to my now closed account.

Sincerely,

Sharla Hammond

Apr 15, 2019
Could Uber have flagged the account for excessive complaints?

One thing I have to say as a New York City resident -- drivers tend to be aggressive here -- and I am not just referring to Uber or taxis.

What issues were reported? Speeding? Where?
I know better now, if my account is reinstated I’ll be very tentative about reporting again. I’d rather keep my Uber account open and just take the risk at this point.
Speeding in school zones, one car reeked of weed and the driver was texting, third incident was speeding.

Apr 15, 2019
Yes, but Lyft doesn’t offer Uber Eats. Can’t imagine a life without Uber Eats anymore. It matters in my hungriest moments studying/at work. Haha

Jan 6, 2015
Several comments:
  • Sunday would be the 14th . . .
  • "Because of the reports that I submitted to Uber" is something you suspect but do not know.
  • "Unprofessional driving" and "reeked" are subjective and accusatory. Let the facts lead them to the logical conclusion.
  • "I will wait 5 business days before seeking third-party assistance" could be considered a threat.
I suggest you correct/remove as needed. "Speeding in school zones, one car smelled of weed and the driver was texting" on the other hand are descriptive and will paint the picture well. Remember that you want to win them over, not run them over.

The overall tone is very polite . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Yes, but Lyft doesn’t offer Uber Eats. Can’t imagine a life without Uber Eats anymore. It matters in my hungriest moments studying/at work. Haha
Not sure where you live, but seamless/grubhub may be an option so you do not starve while studying -- I do get the importance of food delivery.
I have not tried postmates or doordash yet. I only offer this as you wait for Uber to respond.

Apr 15, 2019
Not sure where you live, but seamless/grubhub may be an option so you do not starve while studying -- I do get the importance of food delivery.
I have not tried postmates or doordash yet. I only offer this as you wait for Uber to respond.
DoorDash will be my new best friend in the meantime. Thank you :)

Jan 6, 2015
Great ideas Christina!