Two photo IDs required at non-airport location

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 24, 2019
I reserved an Enterprise car at an urban location, choosing not to do the airport to save fees. (I've done this before but not at this particular location, in a sketchy neighborhood.) When I arrived, I was informed that for an out-of-state drivers license, TWO photo IDs were necessary and I only had one. Despite a call to an off-site supervisor, they would not budge. I had to take a taxi back to the airport ($40 ride) where the Enterprise location does not require anything other than driver's license and credit card. Having never encountered this before, I wonder if this is common? A new policy? Local only? A new form of red-lining? Staffer told me that "people rent the cars and drive them to chop shops" and thus they need this policy. I attach a photo of their signage. By the way, the neighborhood rental staff did credit me some $ as compensation so I'm not trying to get a refund, just wanting clarification on the policy and whether it is applied universally. Or not.

Note - edited by moderator to reword where the store was located.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
May 24, 2019
I reserved an Enterprise car at an urban location, choosing not to do the airport to save fees. (I've done this before but not at this particular location, in a sketchy neighborhood.) When I arrived, I was informed that for an out-of-state drivers license, TWO photo IDs were necessary and I only had one. Despite a call to an off-site supervisor, they would not budge. I had to take a taxi back to the airport ($40 ride) where the Enterprise location does not require anything other than driver's license and credit card. Having never encountered this before, I wonder if this is common? A new policy? Local only? A new form of red-lining? Staffer told me that "people rent the cars and drive them to chop shops" and thus they need this policy. I attach a photo of their signage. By the way, the neighborhood rental staff did credit me some $ as compensation so I'm not trying to get a refund, just wanting clarification on the policy and whether it is applied universally. Or not.

Moderator: your edit is not quite accurate by characterizing the neighborhood as "sketchy". It is located by an urban university, with high property values.

Aug 30, 2015

That really is a "do not do business here" sign as far as I'm concerned. Is someone supposed to go and get "two US phone numbers"? For what reason? So if one is going to steal a car, they need to get a couple of prepaid accounts. Utter nonsense. I hope the website of enterprise shows these "conditions" as it is not the way to do business.

May 1, 2018
Wow there is so much wrong with that sign that I'm struggling to address it all. The most glaring policy contradiction is the pet policy. Enterprise is explicitly pet friendly:

Pets are allowed in rental vehicles. Customers need to keep pets crated and return their rental car in clean condition and free of pet hair to avoid cleaning/detailing fees.
It's ridiculous that these franchise locations can have a contradicting local policy. If I check online and see that I can bring my pet as long as there's no mess left behind, I'm going to be beyond upset of I get hit with a $150 fee for simply having a pet in the car.

Feb 3, 2017
I have two photo IDs - my driver's license and my passport and my passport stays home when I travel in the states.

This is bizarre - two telephone numbers?

Does seem more like it wants to discourage vs. encourage business.

Am very curious what the OP learns from Enterprise about these requirements.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sometimes I feel like a goose, sleeping in hotels and renting cars at the airport, and never going a little out of my way to save some money. Then I read a post like this and breathe a sigh of relief that hotels and airport cars never give me any trouble. This is a horrendous story and I hope the corporate office at least refunds your cab rides.

Aug 30, 2015
Sometimes I feel like a goose, sleeping in hotels and renting cars at the airport, and never going a little out of my way to save some money. Then I read a post like this and breathe a sigh of relief that hotels and airport cars never give me any trouble. This is a horrendous story and I hope the corporate office at least refunds your cab rides.
They should either conform to corporate policy or take down the Enterprise sign.