Two minutes?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2018
Five weeks after purchasing our tickets, Alaska Airlines made a 15-minute departure change (10:30am to 10:15am), which threatens to ruin our 30th-anniversary cruise.
Landing at LAX (terminal 4) 8:52am; departing terminal 6 (ten minute walk) at 10:15am - 83 minutes later. Alaska Airlines determined it would take 85 minutes between flights, and asked me to choose another flight.
There are no other flights that will get us to HNL before the cruise ship departs. I tried to explain this to them without success. They finally stated they could not cancel without my authorization, but my luggage absolutely would not be transferred. I don't understand. 85 minutes they could do, but 83 minutes is completely out of the question?
I need a positive resolution. Two minutes seems like a trivial reason to ruin a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Especially since they moved fifteen minutes after everything was already arranged.
Thanks for reading.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
In reality you should leave at least 2 hours in between connections for a domestic flight. While you may see 83 minutes in between flights, you need to be st the gate a half hour before the connecting flight leaves and I don’t think you are going to make it.

If your outgunning flight leaves 10 minutes late- you are going to miss that connection. It’s just too short.

You aren’t flying in the day of the cruise are you? That’s a no-no nowadays. Can you fly in the day before? They would be the best option

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@William Brandt My suggestion would be to fly 24 hours earlier. Since this is due to their schedule change, they'll probably do it for free.

Cruise ships are a "hard time" departure. Two minutes late means you don't sail. All you have to do is read the cruise line portion of this board to see this. Even if they agreed to your request, all it would take is a poorly timed thunderstorm (or a pilot running late or a security issue or a broken down bus or ....) to make you miss your connection and cruise.

Better to spend an extra 24 hours in HNL than to fly over your ship as it sails away.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Five weeks after purchasing our tickets, Alaska Airlines made a 15-minute departure change (10:30am to 10:15am), which threatens to ruin our 30th-anniversary cruise.
Landing at LAX (terminal 4) 8:52am; departing terminal 6 (ten minute walk) at 10:15am - 83 minutes later. Alaska Airlines determined it would take 85 minutes between flights, and asked me to choose another flight.
There are no other flights that will get us to HNL before the cruise ship departs. I tried to explain this to them without success. They finally stated they could not cancel without my authorization, but my luggage absolutely would not be transferred. I don't understand. 85 minutes they could do, but 83 minutes is completely out of the question?
I need a positive resolution. Two minutes seems like a trivial reason to ruin a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Especially since they moved fifteen minutes after everything was already arranged.
Thanks for reading.
Your posting is confusing. What is your actual itinerary? You reference flying into LAX; from where?

It appears you are then flying to HNL on the day of your cruise departure. You should NEVER do this from the US mainland. You could do this from another Hawaiian island but not the US mainland. Whoever gave you the itinerary you seem to have has badly served you.

Simple solution-fly to HNL 1-2 days before your cruise and enjoy Oahu for a day or two. Then you will not miss the cruise. Alaska s doing you a big favor by refusing the new schedule. Why do you want to go on a cruise without luggage?

Sep 19, 2015
The airline has a minimum connection time for a reason and often luggage transfer is one issue.

The airline is telling you that your baggage likely will not make it. Do you want to cruise without luggage?

Go a day earlier.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are lucky, really, William, that Alaska changed the schedule. Your chances of arriving on time weren't even 50/50. Back in the good old days you could get away with this, as your airline would make every effort to rebook you in the event of a delay, even on a competitor. Those days are gone.

Make arrangements to fly the day before. As my colleagues have pointed out, your original itinerary was bad and now you've been given an opportunity to make sure you catch that ship.

Dec 19, 2014
As others have said, you are really really really really lucky that Alaska Airlines changed the itinerary because your chances of making the cruise with your original itinerary were probably less than 50%. If your original flight was delayed by 15 minutes, you would have missed your cruise!

Are you flying into LAX from a domestic flight or international flight?

Rebook the flights for a minimum of 24 hours EARLIER.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi William, my colleagues have given good advice about using this opportunity to change your ticket to fly in the day before; I really would do that if you can.

I just wanted to cover the point you raised as to why for luggage the airline in your words "85 minutes they could do, but 83 minutes is completely out of the question?" It's not that it is completely out of the question but that 85 minutes is the minimum that they need to guarantee that your luggage will make it. It might be possible but because they can't guarantee less 85 minutes that they make that the cut off point. There has to be one; there has to be a cut off point.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And their minimum is really not the reality. You have a good chance of your luggage not making it with that short of a connection follow very closely by you not making it. If you aren’t at the gate by the time printed on your boarding pass your seat is usually given away. That’s why you hear those names being called at the gate.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
@William Brandt Two minutes late means you don't sail. All you have to do is read the cruise line portion of this board to see this. Even if they agreed to your request, all it would take is a poorly timed thunderstorm (or a pilot running late or a security issue or a broken down bus or ....) to make you miss your connection and cruise.
When you say "two minutes" are you referring to the two minutes that the OP mentioned or just saying in general that the cruises don't wait? I assume it's the latter since the delay mentioned is in the first flight, not the second flight, so the flight to HNL doesn't actually appear to have been delayed by 2 minutes.

I agree that getting in a day early is much better. The only thing I am puzzled about is the 83 minutes connection time being considered risky. I'd say that 90% of the flights I booked in the last few years had connection times much less than 83 minutes. Delta and American regularly present connecting flights with 45 minutes between arrival and departure. I know this doesn't give any room for delays but I'm just surprised that Alaska is so much more cautious than, say, Delta - unless the inbound flight is coming from an airport in Canada where they don't have pre-clearance and you have to clear customs first.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Barry Graham ... It was a general statement that cruise lines don't wait. I chose two minutes because he thought that amount of time was inconsequential when, in fact, it can be.

The bigger issue with his itinerary is that he's left absolutely no time in it for "murphy" to have his say. As I pointed out, there's lots of events that can occur that would cause him to miss the cruise because he's planned so tight.

For cruises, my general rule of thumb.... I have to have two other routing where I still make the ship or have time to drive (not an option here) to the port to take the flight option. Sometimes that means I'm flying in more than a day earlier to make sure the I'll make the ship