Turo, not a car rental company

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Don, this space is fine for now. I’ll move the thread if it winds up not being appropriate. Did you have a problem with them?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We had an issue with a car sharing company once before- car rental insurance wouldn't cover a problem or an accident with a car sharing company. I have been searching for the post and can't find it but will keep looking.

Can you post your issue so maybe we can try to help? We are pretty good at finding terms and conditions to perhaps help.

Oct 9, 2017
We had an issue with a car sharing company once before- car rental insurance wouldn't cover a problem or an accident with a car sharing company. I have been searching for the post and can't find it but will keep looking.

Can you post your issue so maybe we can try to help? We are pretty good at finding terms and conditions to perhaps help.
Thanks Neil. Great idea. I'll get add round to this matter over the next few days.

I saw the visa thread. As the only allusion to turo, this might make more sense as a subtopic to a broader thread about all things Turo, with Turo listed as one company in a generic category of peer to peer car services.

Thx for now. Say hi to Chris, if he is at all involved in this venture.

D

Oct 9, 2017
Don, this space is fine for now. I’ll move the thread if it winds up not being appropriate. Did you have a problem with them?
Thanks.

The car I rented in DC in 2017 was defective in many ways, and the gas tank was empty. The owner lied repeatedly about connecting with him, leaving me waiting on a DC corner until near midnight for a few hours. Turns out he did not even own the car.

But the most disturbing aspect of this transaction was learning that Turo itself is not structured to handle such matters. I'm sure there's a word in their industry for a phone tree comprising agents who do not know much about the transaction, and operate in a silo with little more than a tight script of mainly legal disclaimers. They are 'trained' -- from the sound of it, ordered upon threat of dismissal -- to never escalate. Who knows if they can in the first place.

I sent many time-stamped photos on the broken door, the broken mirror, the empty tank with the odometer reading, and so on. As it was they partially reimbursed me, and not at all for a nearly full tank of gas. When I returned the car the dude -- not the owner -- brought a big guy along, presumably as a threat.

Crooks in the world, no surprise. Aiding and abetting them is different. I never got a proper apology from the company for any of this, presumably because that would admit liability. Maybe that's the main thing about Turo. The business model they sell to top investors is limited exposure, and a system that lets them put off customers and keep their own CSRs scared, clueless, and in the dark.

Is this business even regulated? Turo would have been in for big trouble if their vehicle had been involved in personal injury when the courts found out about its loosy-goosy controls and a lessor with no rights to the car who acted like a criminal.

Perhaps they will read this and see a business purpose in adopting some of the transparency I never saw, by responding in detail. Do you contact them? Thanks.