Turkish Airlines won't refund or extend voucher

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 27, 2021
I purchased 4 tickets on 12/01/2019 for my family to travel to Cameroon from Seattle departing 07/29/2020. By May 2020, we realized this would not be safe and Cameroon's borders would likely be closed to foreign nationals. At the time, Turkish only offered a voucher for travel to be completed by 12/31/2021. So, we accepted the voucher. By March 2020, it became clear that travel will remain unsafe through 2021. My children will not be vaccinated, very few Cameroonians will be vaccinated, Cameroon's borders remain closed, the South African variant is rampant there, and the WHO continues to advise against discretionary travel. We can't get visas and therefore can't get on flights. It is contrary to public health and my family's safety for us to go through 4-6 airports and spend 60+ hours on flights and in transit in an ongoing global pandemic. Turkish Airlines refuses to refund the more than $5k we paid or extend our voucher through 2022. FAA won't help because we accepted the voucher a year ago. Credit card company won't help because too much time has passed. BBB complaint got the same reply Turkish keeps giving, that a voucher through 2021 is all they will offer. Do I have any other options? We're not in a position to throw away that much money. Nor can we travel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you canceled before the airline did, you aren’t due a refund, only the voucher you received.

Try using our company contacts and appealing for an extension of the voucher. This is how to write:

If you can get the voucher extended your don’t have to fly to Cameroon- you usually can use it anywhere. I have been in your shoes - I have a $4800 for an AA ticket to Vietnam for a trip in January that was just canceled by the supplier. I am sitting back waiting to see if they make a substantial change to the itinerary or if they cancel the flight to try for a refund.

Reactions: Patina
Apr 27, 2021
Thanks. I guessed that may be the case, even though flights were ultimately canceled in July 2020 and we had no alternative is May last year other than the voucher. We have emailed our request to extend the voucher and cc'd the FAA contact for the complaint. If we have no other option to extend the voucher, I may look for safer travel options in the Turkish network. I should clarify that Cameroon is not a random destination for us - it is my husband's home country and (barring pandemic) we try to go every few years to visit his family and connect the kids with their heritage

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I guessed that may be the case, even though flights were ultimately canceled in July 2020
Unfortunately, this is irrelevant. Think of this as a big game of chicken. Who ever cancels 1st gets the bill. So even though the airline canceled eventually ( and maybe refunded fares) , you canceled before they did and you get a voucher.
These airlines are beyond broke so the odds of converting a voucher to a refund is very small.

Credit card company won't help because too much time has passed. BBB complaint got the same reply Turkish keeps giving, that a voucher through 2021
As you accepted a credit even if you could file a charge back you would have lost as you were compensated.
And a BBB complaint has little power to do anything.
Can you look and see maybe you can use the voucher to fly somewhere you feel better about with just connecting in Turkey.

Also remember that fact that you feel it is not safe to travel at the moment is not the airlines fault. In other times when you canceled this non refundable ticket all you would get back is a few hundred for your taxes back and lose all the rest. You can try to appeal to Turkish airlines. But if you do remember that they would be doing you a very big favor. So appeal to them this way ( creative begging).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think our OP is looking for a refund, but for an extension of the existing voucher. Stay off the phone and compose a concise listing of the facts, making the request and asking for the extension. As you write, keep in mind that the airline doesn't much care if you won't travel because of the virus. If they're flying, they won't be very receptive. Submit to Turkish customer service. If no reply after three weeks, use our Company Contacts to escalate, waiting two weeks between each submission. Be very clear and very appreciative. You may have to start over with the first executive if you don't hear anything, just keep at it. Be patient and persistent. Meanwhile, see if there's any other destination you might want to visit to use the credit ... that voucher may be useless if the airline ceases business. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Reactions: Alexander Pahany
Apr 27, 2021
Thanks. The chicken game makes sense and I'll play it differently next time, for sure! I do want to clarify this isn't about my feelings. Cameroon's government won't permit entry, and the WHO, CDC, and State Department agree that discretionary travel is unsafe not just for unvaccinated individuals (my kids) but for public health. I expected things to be somewhat more flexible given these unique, ongoing circumstances. I can accept that they are not and assess options from here, but it's important to us to be good global citizens and not spread a deadly virus

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I would still contact the airline and ask for an extension of the expiration date. There is no harm in doing this.
Beyond that who knows that this fall will look like Covid wise, your kids might be vaccinated, Covid could be under better control. You might feel safe to travel. So do not count the voucher as lost yet. Maybe you could go to Cameroon before it ends if not maybe you get a great vacation somewhere else. Turkish Air flies many places.