Turkish Airlines violate human and passenger rights!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2016
Letter writer - on 31 MAR,when you checked in for your flight at DNK, they didn't tell you that would be totally unable to get to your ticked destination?
On 31 MAR when I checked in at CAN to my flight to DNK, nobody informed me of flight cancellation, I was informed of flight cancellation only on arrival in IST 01APR.

Feb 9, 2016
On 31 MAR when I checked in at CAN to my flight to DNK, nobody informed me of flight cancellation, I was informed of flight cancellation only on arrival in IST 01APR.
were you ticketed all the way thru on the same record number/PNR? or did you purchase your flight legs separately? Independent of one another?

Sep 13, 2016
When did the commercial dispute occur? Before or after you purchased the ticket?

You may be able to base your compensation request on the fact that you should have been informed of the potential for an issue so you could have cancelled and rebooked.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that the airline has no clue when the issue will be resolved - they are not going to offer to refund your ticket and, if the issue is settled before your flight date, they lose that revenue.

The airline did not guarantee to get you to the hospital on time. You have to give that up.
You are right, I should have been informed by the airline of the potential of an issue prior to departure, which would enable me to rebook or cancel. But the airline didn't do so in favour of their revenue and to the prejudice of my health.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
wow, that airline sucks
unfortunately I think they only thing you can really do is ask for a refund for that portion you didn't fly.
This isn't true, please check the Ukrainian air code I linked to in my last post. It depends on the cancellation reason.

Sep 13, 2016
Ukraine Air Code may apply depending on the reasons for the cancelation...which now makes that important.

http://kbp.kiev.ua/en/pass/delay/

Use the link and quote it and ask for the compensation detailed for cancellations under 7 days.

If they refuse, ask why.
I have already tried that with no response from them. EU and Ukraine apply same regulation on air passengers rights: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm
And, yes, it depends on the cancellation reason. But the airline has not yet indicated the reason, though I asked them many times for official confirmation. They avoid that for purpuse.

Sep 13, 2016
If this is the case, I'd like you to try our contacts in the manner I described. Keep in mind they didn't cause your problem and go back to the polite, factual manner you originally used, although I think you should definitely add you've been trying for this long and emailed all those people without a resolution and how frustrating this has been. Don't make it epic but it's worth a mention.
I will try your contacts and I think it would be wise to ask you for proofreading before sending. Thank you.

Jul 27, 2016
This isn't true, please check the Ukrainian air code I linked to in my last post. It depends on the cancellation reason.
It's not mentioned in the English translation, but these rules might not apply. They appear to be modeled on the EU261 rules. If this had been a flight to Frankfurt (for example), the OP wouldn't have been entitled to any EU261 compensation, since Turkish isn't an EU carrier, and the EU261 rules don't apply to flights TO the EU on non-EU carriers.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
It's not mentioned in the English translation, but these rules might not apply. They appear to be modeled on the EU261 rules. If this had been a flight to Frankfurt (for example), the OP wouldn't have been entitled to any EU261 compensation, since Turkish isn't an EU carrier, and the EU261 rules don't apply to flights TO the EU on non-EU carriers.
How does Ukrainian law not apply in the Ukraine?

Jul 27, 2016
Potentially, the same way EU law doesn't apply in the EU. The Ukrainian law you cited looks to be modeled on the EU261 rules. The EU261 rules don't apply to flights _to_ the EU on non-EU carriers. If the Ukrainian rules are similarly structured, then they wouldn't apply to this case. I don't know one way or the other. I looked through the link you provided, and it doesn't clarify what flights those rules apply to.

Sep 19, 2015
I am very sorry for the poster who seems to have been caught in an international commercial dispute that has been an absolute mess.

http://en.interfax.com.ua/news/economic/341916.html

From the Ukraine news

Dnipropetrovsk airport is managed by Dniproavia company, which is co-owned by businessman Ihor Kolomoisky, who is also co-owner of the Privat Group and the country's largest airline company – Ukraine International Airlines (UIA, Kyiv).

Basically Turkish Airlines was forced to stop flights between Istanbul and Dnepropetrovsk because the Ukrainian airport refused to handle the flights -- kept changing landing times and even though Turkish was agreeing to them the airport decided not to allow TK to fly in.

So what it seems to be is :A billionaire oligarch with interests in a competing airline also has a business interest that manages the airport, and said oligarch has ummm a different way of doing business. Oh and said oligarch was once the governor of Dnepropetrovsk

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...billionaires-in-high-court-case-10107612.html

Oct 5, 2015
Turkish Airlines has canceled Istanbul - Ivano-Frankivsk flights for at least the next few days due to restrictions at the Ukrainian airport, of which the airline was notified on Wednesday, April 27, the avianews.com publication reports.

Information from the airport states that this is connected with repair of a runway, which may last two months.

According to the report, the airport informed the airline in a letter that a commission examined the runway and found cracks and flaking of its concrete surface.

Based on an act filed by the commission, the runway can handle no more than 10 operations per day, and the total weight of each aircraft must not exceed 50 tons until the repair is completed.

These restrictions make commercial use of airliners of the type Airbus A319, which the Turkish Airlines uses to perform flights between Ivano-Frankivsk and Istanbul, impossible, an informed source told the publication.

As reported, the airline launched daily flights to Ivano-Frankivsk on 30 March. Earlier, Turkish Airlines was forced to stop flights between Istanbul and Dnepropetrovsk because the Ukrainian airport refused to handle the flights. Infrastructure Minister Volodymyr Omelian described the situation as a commercial conflict between the companies and said that there were no grounds for the Ministry of Infrastructure and the Ministry of Transport to interfere.

Who wants to fly there?

Sep 13, 2016
I have just received an e-mail from Ukraine State Aviation Control Department with acknowledgement of my complaint. They confirm provisions of article 7 EU Regulation (EC) 261/2004 apply and I’m due to a ticket refund or compensation. They have also encouraged me to proceed further with moral/physical issue and provided contact details, name and e-mail of Turkish Civil Aviation Director General.

Mar 23, 2015
Viacheslav,

From what I'm reading here your flight got diverted from its expected arrival at DNK to KBP. Once you landed, Turkish air dropped you - no hotel and/or transport to DNK, correct?

There are two answers we're missing here:
1) Did you agree prior to boarding to accept being transported to KBP?
2) How did you get to DNK from KBP? Bus, taxi, train, other airline?

Provided you didn't agree to the switch, Turkish Air should refund you your transport cost to DNK, and hotel if you needed to stay in one. Say you took a flight on Ukraine Air at a cost of 16,000 and needed to book a hotel at 6,500. You would ask for 22,500 compensation from Turkish Air.

Really, why they diverted is irrelevant right now. They did so, and must've done so with good reason. It happened and that's that. The fact you're disabled is irrelevant, too, in the main. An able bodied passenger would have equal claim. Now, if your disability cost you extra money in hotel or transport costs, that would be relevant and should be included.

I would use our company contacts at http://elliott.org/company-contacts/turkish-airlines/ to write the first executive on the list a short, polite, factual email detailing your case for compensation. Do not start with the CEO, do not email all the executives and once and do not mention human rights, pain and suffering, publicity, lawsuits etc. All will decrease your chances of a successful resolution. You could mention that due to your disability this make the travel harder, and include any costs you can back up with documentation that made your trip more expensive due to it. Attach receipts for the hotel/transport to DNK that you had to pay out of pocket for as well.

We'd be happy to proofread a draft of your email if you like. Just delete any personal info such as name, ticket confirmation number, etc.

Best of luck to you and let us know if you have any further questions or updates.
I always enjoy reading your comments. I know that you'll bring some clarity and common sense to the situation and give good, sensible advice. Thanks!