Turkish Airlines violate human and passenger rights!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2016
1. You boarded flight 435 IST-DNK on 3/31/16, the flight took off for DNK, but, while you were in flight, you were informed that the flight was going to land in KBP instead.
2. When you arrived in KBP, you and the other passengers on the plane were told to get off the plane, and just left there in KBP with no further assistance provided?
3. You ended up taking medical transportation (some sort of ambulance service?) from KBP to DNK the following day, at your own cost?

In this case, Turkish should certainly pay for your KBP-DNK transportation costs.
1. I boarded flight TK0073 CAN-IST on 3/31/16 and next morning 4/01/16 arrived at IST to be transfered to TK0435 IST-DNK, but instead were transferred to IST-KBP without asking my consent and with no reason given for IST-DNK cancellation. 2. When I arrived in KBP they just carried me off the plane, and just left there in KBP with no further assistence provided. 3. Correct, my friend arranged and paid the cost of medical transportation from KBP to DNK on the following day.

Sep 13, 2016
I'm very sorry this happened to you, but , as I am sure that you are aware, Ukraine is currently in a very unstable situation. We know that a commercial flight was shot out of the sky not too far from DNK. Most airlines have suspended any flights into the area around DNK due to safety concerns. There are large swaths of no-fly zone territory around eastern Ukraine. If you took off from IST thinking that you were flying into DNK, but the pilot changed routes in flight, I assume this must have been due to a serious threat.
Otherwise, I assume that you knew when you took off that you were flying to Kiev. I am sure it was a terrible inconvenience, but you landed safely ... so I would consider that a success.

Unfortunately, most rules don't apply when a country is considered at war. I hope that you were able to ultimately reach your final destination and that you had a successful surgery.
Thank you very much for your compassion. I just want to clarify that DNK is not in no-fly zone (sometimes being confused with Donetsk (DOK airport) due to unstable situation in Eastern Ukraine. There are everyday flights on a regular basis. Once again, the situation was totally different, and the reason of flight cancellation was due to Turkish Airlines' commercial dispute with DNK airport. But thank you anyway for your support. I appreciate it.

Sep 13, 2016
I hear what you are saying and understand that you felt angry, embarrassed, upset and abandoned, who wouldn't.

Could you please detail the experience so we can get a better understanding?

You got on the plane at CAN boarding for a direct flight to DNK.
The plane was diverted to another airport.

Did they tell you prior to boarding that there would be a diversion? Or did they tell you in mid air?
As I already mentioned in previous posts, I boarded flight TK0073 CAN-IST on 3/31/16 and next morning 4/01/16 arrived at IST to be transfered to final destination TK0435 IST-DNK, but instead, were carried to IST-KBP without prior notification of flight cancellation, no alternative offered and no reason given for cancellation.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Thank you very much for your compassion. I just want to clarify that DNK is not in no-fly zone (sometimes being confused with Donetsk (DOK airport) due to unstable situation in Eastern Ukraine
I do understand that. However, DNK is considered a no fly area for most airlines due to its proximity(100 direct miles or so) to an active war zone (which, incidentally became more active in Feb 2016). I did a little more research on this specific situation and it seems that Turkish Airlines was not permitted by the airport authorities to land at DNK on the day you flew and has not flown into DNK since then. (although they are in negotiations to restart this route). There are only a handful of airlines that are permitted to land at DNK at the present moment.
Again, it sounds like you had an awful experience and it sounds like you were not treated with compassion in Kiev. Have you written a letter to Turkish Air asking for reimbursement for your medical transportation to DNK? What was their official response to you? If you have not written a letter to Turkish Air yet then I think you should write a short and calm request for reimbursement. For Example something like this: "On March31, I boarded flight 073 CAN to IST to connect to flight 0435 IST to DNK with my final destination being DNK. When I arrived in Istanbul I was switched to a flight going to Kiev. As I had a surgery scheduled in Dnipropetrovsk the next day, I was forced to pay for medical transportation from Kiev to DNK at a cost of ___ . I ask that Turkish Airlines reimburse me for this unexpected expense which was the result of T.A. not delivering me to the final destination of my original ticket"

Here is the link to send your request :https://www4.thy.com/customercontact/index.tkf?lang=en

I hope this helps.

Jul 27, 2016
Sorry to keep peppering you with questions, but the detailed circumstances matter in terms of what your approach should be.

When you arrived in IST, you were informed that your flight to DNK was cancelled. Turkish then rebooked you on a flight to KBP. Did the Turkish staff make any commitments at that time? Did they tell you "we're rebooking you to KBP, and we'll get you ground transport from there"? Did they tell you "the flight to DNK is cancelled - we can transport you to KBP instead, but you'll be on your own to get yourself to KBP"?

Once the flight to DNK was cancelled, Turkish was obliged to either rebook you to DNK, or give you a refund of the cost of your IST-DNK flight. Alternatively, if you and they agreed, they could transport you to another destination. They shouldn't have done that without an agreement with you, however.

Feb 9, 2016
As I already mentioned in previous posts, I boarded flight TK0073 CAN-IST on 3/31/16 and next morning 4/01/16 arrived at IST to be transfered to final destination TK0435 IST-DNK, but instead, were carried to IST-KBP without prior notification of flight cancellation, no alternative offered and no reason given for cancellation.
When did they tell you that you were not flying IST to DNK but were, in fact, flying IST to KBP?

While you were in the terminal at IST waiting to get on the airplane?
The moment after the agent scanned your boarding pass to allow you to board?
As you were physically stepping foot onto the airplane itself?
As you were sitting in your seat but before the flight left the ground?
As the flight was in mid air?
As the flight was landing?
As you were de-planning/walking into the KBP terminal?

They never told you they had landed you in a different airport? They let you get off the plane and you figured it out yourself?

Sep 13, 2016
So did you pay out of pocket for the medical transportation? Without a receipt its going to be harder, but maybe did you pay by credit card and can look up the transaction. If not, submit the cost paid and hope for the best.

I'm reading you stayed in the airport all night to try and resolve this (and I don't blame you for that, I would've done the same) instead of getting a hotel. I would suggest looking up the average rates for a hotel - which is what they should've provided you - and submitting that. In the US that's around $100, which should be adequate compensation for the miserable night.
Thanks. I'm thinking about your suggestion on writing a letter and your proofreading a draft of my e-mail before sending. I have already contacted Turkish multiple times, submitted complaint forms on their website and sent letters to airline executives. First were polite, factual and detailed e-mails, exactly as you suggested. But as the time passed and issue remained unresolved, I had to seek stronger ways to make them responsible. Could you please suggest a short version of such stronger letter which to your mind and according to your experiense would be effective on this stage. That might be helpful. Thank you.

Sep 13, 2016
Sorry to keep peppering you with questions, but the detailed circumstances matter in terms of what your approach should be.

When you arrived in IST, you were informed that your flight to DNK was cancelled. Turkish then rebooked you on a flight to KBP. Did the Turkish staff make any commitments at that time? Did they tell you "we're rebooking you to KBP, and we'll get you ground transport from there"? Did they tell you "the flight to DNK is cancelled - we can transport you to KBP instead, but you'll be on your own to get yourself to KBP"?

Once the flight to DNK was cancelled, Turkish was obliged to either rebook you to DNK, or give you a refund of the cost of your IST-DNK flight. Alternatively, if you and they agreed, they could transport you to another destination. They shouldn't have done that without an agreement with you, however.
When I arrived in IST, Turkish staff informed me that my flight to DNK was cancelled, they gave me no alternative, offered no refund and provided no reason for flight cancellation. Instead they transported me to KBP commenting that I have no other choice, even if I disagree, then told me to get to DNK by myself. But as I found out later, there actually were other choices to get to DNK from Istanbul. Turkish Airlines just avoided additional costs or compensation for alternative travel to my destination.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Thanks. I'm thinking about your suggestion on writing a letter and your proofreading a draft of my e-mail before sending. I have already contacted Turkish multiple times, submitted complaint forms on their website and sent letters to airline executives. First were polite, factual and detailed e-mails, exactly as you suggested. But as the time passed and issue remained unresolved, I had to seek stronger ways to make them responsible. Could you please suggest a short version of such stronger letter which to your mind and according to your experiense would be effective on this stage. That might be helpful. Thank you.
Who did you contact, exactly? Did you use our contacts? If you have, further letters aren't going to be effective and I will ask our regular advocates to get involved, and see if they can obtain a resolution for you. We're definitely going to need to go that route if you've contacted the CEO already.

Sep 13, 2016
When did they tell you that you were not flying IST to DNK but were, in fact, flying IST to KBP?

While you were in the terminal at IST waiting to get on the airplane?
The moment after the agent scanned your boarding pass to allow you to board?
As you were physically stepping foot onto the airplane itself?
As you were sitting in your seat but before the flight left the ground?
As the flight was in mid air?
As the flight was landing?
As you were de-planning/walking into the KBP terminal?

They never told you they had landed you in a different airport? They let you get off the plane and you figured it out yourself?
They told me I was not flying IST to DNK but was, in fact, flying IST to KBP, at IST transfer desk. They also told I had no alternative, even if I disagree. Though, as I already mentioned, I later discovered, there actually were alternative flights IST-DNK. Turkish Airlines just refused to carry any additional costs for such transfers or compensate me ticket price. They offered no solution, which finally resulted in such consequences for me, that's why I raised a violation question here.

Sep 13, 2016
Who did you contact, exactly? Did you use our contacts? If you have, further letters aren't going to be effective and I will ask our regular advocates to get involved, and see if they can obtain a resolution for you. We're definitely going to need to go that route if you've contacted the CEO already.
I didn't use your contacts, since I obtained them only now. I only had access to Turkish Airlines official website contact form, also sent e-mails to customer service and executives in IST, KBP and DNK.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
I didn't use your contacts, since I obtained them only now. I only had access to Turkish Airlines official website contact form, also sent e-mails to customer service and executives in IST, KBP and DNK.
If this is the case, I'd like you to try our contacts in the manner I described. Keep in mind they didn't cause your problem and go back to the polite, factual manner you originally used, although I think you should definitely add you've been trying for this long and emailed all those people without a resolution and how frustrating this has been. Don't make it epic but it's worth a mention.

Feb 9, 2016
They told me I was not flying IST to DNK but was, in fact, flying IST to KBP, at IST transfer desk. They also told I had no alternative, even if I disagree. Though, as I already mentioned, I later discovered, there actually were alternative flights IST-DNK. Turkish Airlines just refused to carry any additional costs for such transfers or compensate me ticket price. They offered no solution, which finally resulted in such consequences for me, that's why I raised a violation question here.

I'm confused - you didn't actually HAVE to get on the flight IST-KBP. No one was forcing you on that plane.

The alternative was NOT to get on that flight that would have left you 500k from your needed destination.

Also, I assume the other flight IST-DNK was on a completely different airline. Unless the contract of carriage states differently, Turkish Airlines does not have to place you on a competitors flight in order to get you to the destination. You, however, are free to investigate alternative and book that different ticket, and, subsequently, request a refund from Turkish Airlines for the portion of the flight unfulfilled by them.

I do understand that this was a very stressful time for you. Hindsight is easy to suggest what you could have done. being in the moment is a different beast altogether.

Sep 13, 2016
I do understand that. However, DNK is considered a no fly area for most airlines due to its proximity(100 direct miles or so) to an active war zone (which, incidentally became more active in Feb 2016). I did a little more research on this specific situation and it seems that Turkish Airlines was not permitted by the airport authorities to land at DNK on the day you flew and has not flown into DNK since then. (although they are in negotiations to restart this route). There are only a handful of airlines that are permitted to land at DNK at the present moment.
Again, it sounds like you had an awful experience and it sounds like you were not treated with compassion in Kiev. Have you written a letter to Turkish Air asking for reimbursement for your medical transportation to DNK? What was their official response to you? If you have not written a letter to Turkish Air yet then I think you should write a short and calm request for reimbursement. For Example something like this: "On March31, I boarded flight 073 CAN to IST to connect to flight 0435 IST to DNK with my final destination being DNK. When I arrived in Istanbul I was switched to a flight going to Kiev. As I had a surgery scheduled in Dnipropetrovsk the next day, I was forced to pay for medical transportation from Kiev to DNK at a cost of ___ . I ask that Turkish Airlines reimburse me for this unexpected expense which was the result of T.A. not delivering me to the final destination of my original ticket"

Here is the link to send your request :https://www4.thy.com/customercontact/index.tkf?lang=en

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your advice. I have already submitted forms with compensation requests on their website with no result. And I have no reseipts for hotel or transportation from KBP to DNK to claim refund for that. But the question is much wider. The reason of flight cancellation was a commercial dispute between airline and the airport, and, as you correctly noticed, they are still in negotiation process to restart the route. Why then a customer, who paid the ticket, should suffer from such a cause? Moreover, a passenger, who trusted and relied on the airline to be delivered to hospital in time. That's why I raised a violation question. And that's why I'm seeking support and assistance here on how to get not only ticket refund, but also moral and physical damage compensation.

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you for your advice. I have already submitted forms with compensation requests on their website with no result. And I have no reseipts for hotel or transportation from KBP to DNK to claim refund for that. But the question is much wider. The reason of flight cancellation was a commercial dispute between airline and the airport, and, as you correctly noticed, they are still in negotiation process to restart the route. Why then a customer, who paid the ticket, should suffer from such a cause? Moreover, a passenger, who trusted and relied on the airline to be delivered to hospital in time. That's why I raised a violation question. And that's why I'm seeking support and assistance here on how to get not only ticket refund, but also moral and physical damage compensation.
When did the commercial dispute occur? Before or after you purchased the ticket?

You may be able to base your compensation request on the fact that you should have been informed of the potential for an issue so you could have cancelled and rebooked.

The problem with that line of reasoning is that the airline has no clue when the issue will be resolved - they are not going to offer to refund your ticket and, if the issue is settled before your flight date, they lose that revenue.

The airline did not guarantee to get you to the hospital on time. You have to give that up.

Oct 5, 2015
Wow is the whole truth being disclosed here?
TK flights to DNK have been cancelled since Sunday 27MAR.
That whole week had no departures.
And after that week the status moved from Cancelled to Unknown.

TK will resume flying (at least scheduled) on 01NOV only.

So if you did check -in at Guangzhao (CAN) on 31MAR with an 01APR connecting flight IST-DNK that was already cancelled then you knew the airline limitation to fly you to KBP instead.

This has nothing to do with your physical condition. This is purely airline business.
If they don't fly there anymore, then get a refund or accept the new destination.
You cannot force an airline to fly to a destination it dropped.

Sep 13, 2016
Exactly what rights do you think you have flying FROM China VIA Turkey TO Ukraine?
I have to believe those are not the same rights Americans think they have here in USA.
I used to live and work in China, with positive experience, and what concerns Chinese side of that particular journey, there were no questions at all, they provided best ever service and attitude to a passenger with disability, I honestly felt I had rights there. About Turkey and Ukraine, I think maybe you are right.

Feb 9, 2016

So if you did check -in at Guangzhao (CAN) on 31MAR with an 01APR connecting flight IST-DNK that was already cancelled then you knew the airline limitation to fly you to KBP instead.

This has nothing to do with your physical condition. This is purely airline business.
If they don't fly there anymore, then get a refund or accept the new destination.
Letter writer - on 31 MAR,when you checked in for your flight at DNK, they didn't tell you that would be totally unable to get to your ticked destination?

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015

Well, did the OP know, though? Did the airline make any effort to notify per the Ukraine Air Code? If not the OP Is due compensation via that Air Code.

Sep 13, 2016

I was informed of flight cancellation only on arrival in IST 01APR. I knew nothing of that before I arrived in IST. Nobody gave me any notice prior to departure. Nobody gave me any reason for flight cancellation. Nobody offered a refund or alternative way to get to DNK. They sold me a ticket CAN-DNK, airline obligations remain unfulfilled.