Turkish Airlines: unfair compensation for baggage delay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 8, 2018
On my flight from SFO - IST - Cairo my luggage was lost in cairo by Turkish Airlines. My bag was missing for 3 days. I was informed by the desk agent at cairo that all purchases made as a result of my bag delay would be covered by Turkish Airlines. Upon returning, I filed a claim with all receipts for USD$1300. After review by Turkish Airlines they evaluate $100 in compensation. They informed me that their compensation is $50/day, however my bag was missing for 3 days, not 2. After repeatedly trying to get Turkish Airlines to re-review my claim and hearing the same for an entire month, i have accept the $100 and i dont know what can i do and what is the next step i should go

Tracking Number:201xxxxxxx File Reference Number:DAH CAIxxxxxxx

edited by a moderator to remove tracking and reference number

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2015
I doubt you will get the 1,300 that you spent, you do still have the clothes you purchased. Use the link at the top of the page to find the company contacts. Start at the bottom and wait 1-2 weeks between writing to the next level. Be polite, if you had a reason for the amount spent, state it. I am thinking needing special clothes for a wedding, ski clothes, something that would have made it absolutely necessary for you to have spent that much on clothes and necessary items in three days. I would ask for a more reasonable amount, 50per day may be airline standard, but it is low depending on circumstances. Having luggage delayed is not a free for all to go purchase expensive clothes.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Tanya is correct- there is usually a limit because you are only supposed to buy what you need to tide you over until your bags are received, not to last your entire trip. But $50 a day seems too low.

Try using our company contacts :

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/turkish-airlines/

Read the main company contacts page about HOW to write and then take it up through the Executives.

Did you buy travel insurance? That would reimburse you for some of the cost.

Jul 8, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, my main purchase was medicine and i upload the proof, i have talked to them many times but no change, the said that is the final evaluation.
It is frustration, i had to pay that money and i only get about %7 of what i paid.
Unfortunately i dont have insurance for this flight,
I haven’t accepted the $100 yet and really i dont know where should i go and will i get this money back ?

Sep 19, 2015
I also do not think you will get 1,300 for a delay of 3 days — that amount is near the maximum amount for luggage that is lost and not delayed.

Others have posted on this site and other sites that Turkish holds to the $50 per day.

Sep 19, 2015
No airline covers 100 percent of purchases for a baggage delay; if that was the case I would have some Chanel suits. There is a daily limit for each airline, some more and some less.

Did you have to buy clothing for a special event?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello,
Thank you for your reply, my main purchase was medicine and i upload the proof, i have talked to them many times but no change, the said that is the final evaluation.
It is frustration, i had to pay that money and i only get about %7 of what i paid.
I haven’t accepted the $100 yet and really i dont know where should i go and will i get this money back ?
Never pack medicine in a checked bag. That should only be brought in a carry on. Again- they only cover a small amount of money for essentials to get you through until you get the bags again.

I gave you our company contacts at the airline above. Please read how to write to them and then write.

In the future- most travel insurance policies have some coverage for lost or delayed bags. You might want to consider purchasing in the future.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello,
Essential medicine should NEVER be checked in baggage. You are very fortunate that you were able to find the same or comparable medications in Turkey. In many parts of the world, you would NOT have been able to find the same or comparable medications. In cases where the necessary medications are not available people have the choice of risking going without their medications for days or longer (as an MD, I can tell you this is NEVER a good idea) or returning home immediately to avoid a health catastrophe. I do not expect the airline to reimburse you for medications that should never have been checked in baggage.
You should accept the mount offers and not check medications in the future.