• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2019
I checked my luggage with Turkish Airlines on March 13 for a flight from LAX to DXB, with a layover in IST ... and I haven’t seen my bag since.

I have “Star Alliance Gold” status, which means my bag was tagged as priority. After I got to Dubai, my final destination, and realized my bag was a no show, I went straight to Dnata Support to file a property irregularity report. When Josh, the rep who filed my report, asked me to describe my bag, I told him that there was an orange priority tag attached. “If you ever want your bag to get to your final destination,” Josh warned, “never put a priority sticker on it.” Josh also told me that he was “90% sure” my bag would be on the next flight in. But he neglected to include my correct contact info or the description of my bag in the report. Josh was wrong. My bag wasn’t on the next flight or the one after that. When I called to ask if my bag had at least made it to Istanbul, where I had a short layover before flying to Dubai, a Turkish Airlines customer service rep told me that I would have to wait for their system to update before they could provide that info.

From there began the long, agonizing descent into lost baggage hell, with both Turkish Airlines and Dnata dumbfounded by the whereabouts of my belongings, while I struggled to make the most out of my birthday trip with only the clothes on my back.

Not once did Turkish Airlines offer to accommodate me for the huge inconvenience. No one offered me an amenity kit. No one offered a voucher for a free upgrade on my return flights home. There was no mention of reimbursing me for the essential items I had to purchase for my 10-day trip, while they continued to search for my bag.

Eventually, after having to call them several times, Turkish Airlines asked me to provide a copy of my passport, baggage ticket, ticket no., and a list of all the items in my bag, which they would forward to their claims department if they couldn’t locate my bag.

I sent all of the above on March 20. I didn’t get a response. When I followed up with Turkish Airlines again to confirm receipt of the list, I received an automated response asking me to send a copy of the aforementioned items. I never got a response back from Turkish Airlines when I told them that I had already submitted the information. When I called, a customer service rep told me to resubmit the information again, along with a list of the essential clothing items I had to purchase while on vacation. I asked the customer service rep how long my bag would have to be missing before it’s officially declared lost. She said, “I don’t know.”

After hanging up with the customer service rep and resubmitting the information they requested from me, I sent two messages to Turkish Airlines (one on March 26 and another on March 29) to confirm that they had received all of the necessary documents and to get an idea of when my documents would be forwarded to the claims dept.

I didn’t get a response.

I decided to call Turkish Airlines on April 2 to get an update. I told the customer service rep. that I had sent two messages via the online portal they require me to use and that no one had gotten back to me. She said “they don’t always answer the customers. But they will respond to us. I’ll add a note to the file and someone from the claims dept. will call or email you tomorrow [April 3].”

No one from their claims dept. has yet to contact me.

I sent two more messages to Turkish Airlines (one on April 4 and another on April 10) asking for an update. No response.

(I’ve attached a copy of my unanswered messages).

It’s been over a month since Turkish Airlines lost my bag. To date, no one from their claims dept. has gotten in touch with me with any updates. Nor has anyone given me a timeline for how long it will take to issue a reimbursement.

Bags are lost and misplaced all the time. I get it. But it’s HOW an airline handles the mishap that makes all the difference. Turkish Airlines has been unresponsive, and continues to display a lack of follow through and an inability to adequately answer my questions. But, of course, they had no problem taking the $922 I paid for the plane ticket.

This poor customer service experience with Turkish Airlines has left me feeling ignored and devalued as a customer and an airline passenger. I am a seasoned traveler, who's flown countless miles and visited over 20 counties. Never have I ever experienced such disregard and apathy with an airline.

Honestly, I get the impression that Turkish Airlines is trying to wear me down in the hopes that I’ll give up fighting for my reimbursement. But that won’t happen.

I’ve given up hope that my bag will be returned to me. It’s been over a month. That stuff is long gone, as far as I’m concerned. Today, my objective is to be fully reimbursed by Turkish Airlines.

Any guidance you can provide me with getting a full reimbursement for the items Turkish Airlines lost, and the essential items I had to purchase during my trip, would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
Recapping your timeline . . .
  • I checked my luggage with Turkish Airlines on March 13 for an LAX-IST-DXB flight
  • Upon arrival at Dubai, my bag was a no show so I went straight to Dnata Support to file a property irregularity report
  • My bag was not on the next flight or the one after that and now I had no spare clothing, as all my things were in the checked bag (?)
  • I was not offered an amenity kit, or reimbursement for the essential items I had to purchase for my 10-day trip, while they continued to search for my bag
  • Turkish Airlines asked me TWICE to provide a copy of my passport, baggage ticket, ticket no., and a list of all the items in my bag, which I did on March 20th and ?????
  • When I followed up with Turkish Airlines, I asked the customer service rep how long my bag would have to be missing before it’s officially declared lost. She said, “I don’t know”
  • I then sent two messages to Turkish Airlines (March 26th and March 29th) to confirm that they had received all of the necessary documents and to get an idea of when my documents would be forwarded to the claims department
  • I didn’t get a response and decided to call Turkish Airlines on April 2nd to get an update.The customer service representative added a note to the file and said someone from the claims department would call or email me tomorrow
  • No one from their claims department has yet to contact me
  • I sent two more messages to Turkish Airlines (April 4th and April 10th) asking for an update, with no response yet
Assuming this is an accurate list of your main points, you can present your request to Turkish Airlines.

Read "How to Present Your Case" first and then begin your appeal.
In your communications with them, it is important that you send only one email per week before escalating to the next level . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I do believe this is the worst story I've heard about lost baggage. I fly Virgin Atlantic to London, then on to whatever country we're going to visit. Based on what I've learned on this forum, I'm never going to fly onward via the "national" airline again, I'll stick with British Air. I don't like them much, but they do take care of things far better than Turkish Air.

I totally understand how upset you must be. All I can do is offer sympathy and urge you to be very polite and appreciative when you follow VoR's excellent advice. Your job is to make the person reading your letter to WANT to help you. You are absolutely right in your assertion that they just want you to go away. Be polite, patient and persistent ... don't let them win. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Apr 15, 2019
I do believe this is the worst story I've heard about lost baggage. I fly Virgin Atlantic to London, then on to whatever country we're going to visit. Based on what I've learned on this forum, I'm never going to fly onward via the "national" airline again, I'll stick with British Air. I don't like them much, but they do take care of things far better than Turkish Air.

I totally understand how upset you must be. All I can do is offer sympathy and urge you to be very polite and appreciative when you follow VoR's excellent advice. Your job is to make the person reading your letter to WANT to help you. You are absolutely right in your assertion that they just want you to go away. Be polite, patient and persistent ... don't let them win. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.
I've got the persistent part down pat. The polite and patient part is still a work in progress. :)

Thanks for the good wishes!

Sep 19, 2015
I've got the persistent part down pat. The polite and patient part is still a work in progress. :)

Thanks for the good wishes!
Hmmm do you live in NYC? :) (Disclaimer I do and we not known for our patience.). If writing to the contacts does not work then perhaps complaining to the DOT will force the issue, as the flight originated in LAX.