Turkish Airlines- extra $800 charge for purchasing the same ticket?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2018
To Whom It May Concern:

Hi there. My name is Melissa T and I would like to lodge a complaint against Turkish Airlines. Earlier this year, for my birthday, I went to Istanbul. When I ordered my ticket, I mistakenly entered my surname twice. Later that day, when I noticed what I had done, I had reached out to TA and even sent a scan of my passport (as requested). Prior to my departure, I had also reached out to TA about what I could do to remedy this situation. TA staff had told me a number of things, including: contact TSA, contact TA in NYC (departure airport from JFK), and also " probably not to worry about it". I was concerned about there being any issues at time of departure, so I followed the advice of TA JFK staff - who had told me that I could not use my the already purchased ticket and that I had would have to repurchase the same ticket I already had because I could not change my surname listed twice. So, I purchased it for an additional $800. I am a poor Social Worker and cannot afford an additional $800 (rent money for the month). When I explained this to TA, they repeated that I could not use my current ticket with my surname listed twice. After getting a loan from my parents, I was able to repurchase the ticket (I already had). At the time of arrival at the airport, TA staff were confused that I had two purchased tickets and were willing to accept my first (initial ticket). The TA staffperson went to talk to her manager and then and only then, was there an understanding of me purchasing the same ticket I had already purchased.

On the way back from Croatia to Istanbul, Turkey (surname listed twice), there were no issues regarding my ticket. None. I was able to use that ticket with my surname listed twice (despite TA telling me this was not possible).

Please find my letter attached to follow up with TA about this matter as well as the email reply below:
TK-143xxxx
September 11, 2018
To Whom It May Concern:
I am very disappointed in the run around I received regarding my purchasing of a RT ticket from JFK to IST on 8/22/18. When I first purchased my ticket, I had accidentally entered my surname in twice. As soon as I noticed this, I reached out to the call center to correct this. I spoke to someone regarding this matter the day of the purchase and forwarded along a copy of my passport as requested. I didn't hear anything back within the allotted time of a week, so I followed up. Over the next 4 weeks, I reached out to Turkish Airlines to confirm 1) if having my surname listed twice would be a problem (2) what I could do to fix the problem. Throughout this time I had been told different things by different TA officials, including: that it "shouldn't be a problem" and to reach out to TSA and the NYC TA office. I did both. The TSA said that it shouldn't be a problem and that this happened all the time. When I was finally in touch with the NYC office at JFK via email (because at the time of my calls, no one was answering), I was told that I had to purchase a new ticket. I explained that I did not have the funds to purchase a new ticket as at the time I didn't have an extra $1,100 in my bank account. I was able to secure a loan and repurchase the same ticket I had already purchased for an additional $800 more. This is unacceptable and I am highly disappointed by this. I am grateful that my money was so quickly refunded. Thank you. But to go through this over the course of a month and get numerous different responses and then to repurchase my same ticket for an additional $800 is disgusting and awful customer service. Especially considering that I was able to go from Dubrovnik to Istanbul with a ticket with my surname listed twice with absolutely no problems. I hope that you can understand my frustration with this situation. This experience left a bitter taste in my mouth and I will be sharing my frustrations with friends that travel. I am especially frustrated as TA came highly recommended and the on plane service was excellent. It was the disconnect and differing suggestions between the call center and the JFK/NYC office that was especially upsetting, as well as an $800 increase in ticket price (considering that I was purchasing a ticket, that I had already purchased). So very disappointed.

Sincerely,
Melissa DT
Dear Ms. Melissa DT,
Thank you for contacting Turkish Airlines Customer Services and informing us about your experience.
We would like to emphasize that as Turkish Airlines, we aim to pursue the highest level of service at all levels of services with our customers.
Also please be advised that the efforts of Turkish Airlines is directed towards providing our valuable passengers with a superior level of service on the basis of our passengers’ impressions and constructive criticism and feedback.
On behalf of Turkish Airlines we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced.
The difference might come because of the fare difference. Whenever there is no room left within the same class/fare basis as your current ticket.
We submit the above to your information and would like to state our regret at these practices causing you dissatisfaction, and hope to see you with us again in your future flights.
Sincerely yours,

Customer Representative
TURKISH AIRLINES INC.
Customer Contact Center

I could also forward along the correspondence between me and TA during the process of fixing my ticket if that would be helpful.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Melissa DT

Edited by a moderator to remove ticket number

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you realized what you had done within 24 hours, you should have immediately canceled your ticket (at no charge) and then rebooked. Why did you not do this?

Apr 10, 2017
I thought Turkish Airlines didn't adhere to the 24 hour rule because they offer the option to hold the reservation instead. I know that used to be the case but it may have changed.

Apr 10, 2017
Turkish Airlines has changed its policy but it depends on when the ticket was booked:

Effective for reservations made on or after July 17, 2018: If you make your Turkish Airlines reservation to or from the United States at least 7 days prior to the flight’s departure through any of Turkish Airlines’ sales channels in the United States (Call center, ticket office, website, etc.), you may cancel the reservation within 24 hours of making it and receive a full refund, including the cost of the ticketing fee, if any.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Melissa, I hope that you can use our TA contacts and write to them. Compose a concise, polite email, take responsibility for the error, and ask them to refund one of the tix. Don't play any "poor social worker" cards, just politely state the facts and ask for help. Mention that you were confused about what the TA agents told you. Airlines are bombarded with complaints from people who blame everyone else but themselves for a problem. Your letter will stand out if you don't blame the airline, but take the blame yourself. Those of us who travel a lot know that an airline agent will tell you anything to get you to go away, so mention that you were given confusing advice, but don't cast any blame. It's a long shot, but we see miracles here all the time. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

Dec 4, 2018
You have 24 hours after buying a ticket in the US you can cancel a ticket at no charge. Did they tell you to do that?
Hi there, Neil. They did not tell me that. According to first contact with Airline after the purchase, it sounded like it was going to be an easy fix.

Dec 4, 2018
Melissa, I hope that you can use our TA contacts and write to them. Compose a concise, polite email, take responsibility for the error, and ask them to refund one of the tix. Don't play any "poor social worker" cards, just politely state the facts and ask for help. Mention that you were confused about what the TA agents told you. Airlines are bombarded with complaints from people who blame everyone else but themselves for a problem. Your letter will stand out if you don't blame the airline, but take the blame yourself. Those of us who travel a lot know that an airline agent will tell you anything to get you to go away, so mention that you were given confusing advice, but don't cast any blame. It's a long shot, but we see miracles here all the time. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Hi there. Thanks for the email. So, should I send another email then in addition to the letter I sent above? How do I access TA contacts on this website? Thanks for the advice.

Apr 10, 2017
That is DOT law and usually seen at check out. Beyond that, they usually require a new ticket purchase.
When was the ticket purchased? Turkish Airlines did adhere to DOT law because they offered a free hold for 24 hours. This was acceptable to the DOT. However, I don't know how clear the options and their consequences were on the website. They no longer offer a free hold so I can't try to duplicate the reservation if it was made prior to 7/17/18.

Mar 23, 2015
Did you pay $800 MORE for the second ticket and not get ANY refund/credit for the first? Or did you get a credit for the first ticket and the second was $800 and you are out $800 - refund/credit amount? I'm confused. Did you actually HAVE 2 active tickets at the same time when you checked in?