Turkish Airline_ Lost baggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 27, 2019
Hello,
On January 05, 2019, my family and I (four passengers) traveled from Isfahan to Los Angeles via Istanbul. When we checked in our luggage, the Turkish agent asked us to check in our carry-on as well since there was no room in the cabin. Unfortunately, we accepted and gave our carry-on which had very valuable items. When we reached the baggage claim area at LAX, we discovered that our luggage was lost. I immediately contacted the baggage claim representative, who gave us the PIR form.

It has been 22 days now; I have called Turkish central baggage service numerous times and sent several emails since my arrival and there is absolutely no information for me as to the whereabouts of my luggage! While I am missing items that are priceless, I am faced with obtaining compensation for those items. However, I don't know how to start the compensation process.
I was wondering if you would help me.

Jan 27, 2019
Hi Akhrosavi, I had a similar issue in Istanbul about 2 years ago. My advise is to check if your credit card has any insurance, and to find a single person inside of Turkish Airways to help you push the claim through. And yes you can track it using the PIR form, they allow tracking online, but given my single case and feedback from fellow travelers, your invaluables are likely already circulating around Istanbul. At least if you find an agent they can push for a more thorough search.

Do you recall the name of the agent or the time and check-in counter number? You need to establish accountability of an agent and try to push the airline to identify the employees. They don't do this without you having details, and even if you do.....one of the joys of flying Turkish airlines I guess.

Dec 24, 2018
So I had the exact same issue! The problem with my carry bag was mistagged for Lisbon instead of Houston. The problem of Turkish Airlines was their lost baggage claim processing service is terrible broken! Im afraid to many bags become the property of the airlines because of that process. You have to provide all documents and then I may go look.

To my good fortune my last leg of my return flight was with United Airlines. United Airlines is a partner of Turkish Airlines. So after two weeks of trying Lisbon baggage service to no avail, United Corp contacted Turkish Corp with amazing results. My bag was delivered 24 hours later. In my case the United supervisor in Lisbon walked the bag to a United plane for Houston!

Unfortunately for you, American air carriers have different standards applied to them than some international carriers. Big difference in lost luggage value replacement. Which make American carriers more responsive to the flying customer.

Jan 27, 2019
the lost bag was my carry-on bag. I had several valuable items such as Persian silk rug and silver tea service in it. They Turkish agent asked to checked in our carry on since there was no room in the cabin and just cooperated (I wish I didn't ). The value of the items without any doubt is more than $5,000.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Have you filed an actual claim on via their website?

http://www4.thy.com/baggage/?lang=en

Normally under the Montreal Convention, the airline has 21 days to locate your luggage before it is considered lost. After that time you will need to submit an itemized claim. They should provide a response (based on our experience, this can take up to 60 days) on what they will pay. Under the Montreal Convention, they are only liable up to 1,131 SDR per passenger (approx $1500.00 US).

If you have submitted a claim and they have either denied it or not responded to it within 60 days, your next step would be to file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation.

Jan 27, 2019
Have you filed an actual claim on via their website?

http://www4.thy.com/baggage/?lang=en

Normally under the Montreal Convention, the airline has 21 days to locate your luggage before it is considered lost. After that time you will need to submit an itemized claim. They should provide a response (based on our experience, this can take up to 60 days) on what they will pay. Under the Montreal Convention, they are only liable up to 1,131 SDR per passenger (approx $1500.00 US).

If you have submitted a claim and they have either denied it or not responded to it within 60 days, your next step would be to file a complaint with the US Department of Transportation.
==================================================
I filed an actual claim, 10 days after our flight. I could track the case in this webpage (http://www4.thy.com/baggage/?lang=en) till 2 months. However, now (after5 months) when I try to track with my reference number and email, I faced to “Login Failed ". It seems they even deleted my claim. I several times called them, sent emails to claim, customer service, and managers:

Cenk Ocal : [email protected]

Derya Aydemir Yilmaz: [email protected]

M. Akif Konar : [email protected]

Bilal Ekşi : [email protected]

But I didn’t receive even ONE response. I want to sue them. Can you introduce any attorney who accept this case?