Turkish Airline - Both Check in luggage damaged - Not giving proper compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 10, 2018
Hi,

My parents traveled from Delhi to Houston on 30th November. During their travel, Turkish airline damaged their two check in bags. These were brand new bags purchased for their first time international travel. When I asked Turkish airline , first they refused to accept my claim and after I insisted , they are offering only $65 as compensation. Which less than the purchased cost of $200 for both the bags. I am following with Turkish airline but they are not listing to me and saying this is the final compensation. I provided original invoices for the bags and all other requested document to Turkish airline.

thanks,

Dec 19, 2014
My opinion after looking at the bags, is take the $65. I'm surprised that they are even offering you $65.
$200 for both bags is NOT going to get you the quality of bag that will survive the rigors of international travel. You may disagree with me, but this is my opinion.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, that is typical damage that happens in hard sided luggage from them throwing it around. The top one looks cracked, but all of my hard sided luggage looks like your second photo. We actually bought luggage covers that we use on our hard luggage and they still look like yours.

Use our company contacts and go up the executive ladder at Turkish and tell them you don’t feel the compensation is adequate.

Use this thread on how to write and go up the Executives one by one.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Dec 10, 2018
My opinion after looking at the bags, is take the $65. I'm surprised that they are even offering you $65.
$200 for both bags is NOT going to get you the quality of bag that will survive the rigors of international travel. You may disagree with me, but this is my opinion.
These were brand new bags , purchased 10 days back before travel and never used before this travel. We travel with these airlines considering they take care of our luggage and they also promote same.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No airline takes care of you bags. They are thrown onto belts, onto the luggage carts back and forth to the plane, then thrown onto the belts in the airport. It’s a better idea to buy soft sided luggage.

The luggage is sill useable. Use my advice in post #5 abs try to negotiate a little more. They aren’t going to refund you 100% because you can still use the luggage. But it’s worth trying.

Dec 19, 2014
This post is not meant to criticize the OP's choice of luggage. But, there is a significant difference between "cheap" luggage and "quality" luggage.
Luggage priced at $100 a piece is not going to be built with quality materials and won't hold up to international travel. It just won't. There is a reason that high quality, well designed and well constructed luggage costs hundreds of dollars if not in excess of $1000 per piece.

We own both "cheap" luggage and "quality" luggage. Put them side by side and you can easily tell the difference.
We use the "cheap" luggage for road trips or flights where we need to carry non-destructive items (ie clothes, etc)

On contrary, we use the "quality" luggage for airline travel. I purchased a set of Dakota (discontinued brand) about 20 years ago. It has done many trans-oceanic trips and even though the fabric is stained, and stuff is worn, the handles are still firm and the wheels still work.

With luggage, you get what you pay for. Like I said, $65 is a generous offer. As Neil said, you can appeal.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Just a comment here. Soft sided luggage leaves all of your packed items vulnerable to water damage. I sat on a plane once in Dallas waiting for he rain to stop so we could go. Right outside was the cart with all of our luggage waiting for the rain to stop so it could be loaded onto the plane. When I reached my destination and opened the bags, everything was wet. I mean really wet, it just damp.
If you use soft sided luggage be sure to pack everything in plastic bags. I’m sure this doesn’t happened very often but it really created a mess and hardship for me that one time.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For what it's worth, I buy the cheapest luggage I can find ... WalMart is a great source. If you like designer labels, the discount stores like Ross and Marshall's seem to have some good prices. I've had bags that last for a dozen international trips before becoming unusable. They're not pretty, but as long as the handle and wheels work, I couldn't care less. I've never had to replace a bag on a trip, but whenever I come home I take a good hard look at the bag and go buy another one if indicated.

I really appreciate the tip on lining your softsided bag with plastic in case of rain, mmb. I triple-wrap any liquids inside, but hadn't thought about rain.