Turkis Airlines roundtrip ticket and Expedia cancellation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 22, 2019
I had a flight to Manila from Nairobi on
the 15th of October flight TK0084 at 0420 hours.
Upon arrival at the airport, I informed the staff at the check-in
counter that the organization that would be hosting me will be paying
for my return flight, and showed them all documentation to this end,
including letters to the Kenyan Embassy in Manila. However, they
insisted that I would require a return ticket, which I promptly
purchased through Expedia; this ticket was a one way flight to Nairobi
through China Southern Airlines. The staff allowed
me through the gates and onto the plane.

I had a 13 hour layover in Istanbul, and was continually checking to
see which gate I would be boarding through. Eventually, at 2235, the
screens showed that the boarding gate for Manila would be gate A3,
which I arrived at around 2350, right on time for boarding. The
airline staff went round the room checking the boarding passes of the
passengers, but clearly disregarded me even as I deliberately and
obviously handed it out to her. Once I was at the stand to hand over
my boarding pass and passport, the airline staff asked me about a
return ticket and I told her I have it. She asked me to stand aside,
which I poiltely did. There were more than half the plane's passengers
behind me in the line, and I stood beside her patiently but anxiously,
as flight time was fast approaching. The airline staff then began
speaking Turkish to one another and ignoring my questioning as to what
was going on. When they closed the gate, I was both surprised and
angry.

The airline staff in Istanbul were blatantly rude and informed me that
I must purchase a return ticket on the same flight. This is something
I have never heard of in my life, but I did so promptly, so I could
board the next flight to Manila. Due to this, I have to forfeit the
ticket I purchased in Nairobi, which is giving me an even bigger headache. All in all, I
spent 603$ on a ticket from Manila to Istanbul and another 703$ for my
return ticket to Nairobi. Again, I reiterate that if Turkish Airlines
in Nairobi had informed me that it must be a round-trip ticket to
Nairobi on the same airline, I would have done so immediately, but the
staff stated that, "we only need to see your return ticket."

Basically, Turkish Airlines in Nairobi allowed me through the flight with
full knowledge that I would be held at Istanbul without a round-trip
ticket wiht the same airline. There is proof that they were aware of
this situation happening because my check-in bags arrived in Manila
aboard the same flight that I did, meaning they obviously did not
place them on the flight I was meant to be on. On the subject matter
of my bags, I have several items missing from my bags which I could
only notice to have been missing upon unpacking. Turkish
Airlines staff in Istanbul were extremely racist towards me and the
entire airline has wasted a week of my time and hundreds of dollars of
my money. As I tried to resolve the issue, they kept stating that "you
missed your flight" which is absolute untruth. If the staff at Turkish
Airlines Nairobi had informed me it must be a round-trip ticket, I
would have done so immediately.

I am also trying to cancel my Expedia booking, but to no avail.

Jul 13, 2016
So you had a one way ticket, Nairobi to Manila, on Turkish Air connecting in Istanbul.
On arrival at Nairobi airport, Turkish Air employees informed you that you required to be in possession of a return ticket. I believe this is a requirement of the Philippines government to help combat illegal immigration.
You bought a one way ticket on Expedia back to Nairobi. What was the date of that flight?
The ticket you bought was on China Southern Air, connecting somewhere in China. Did you need a transit visa for this flight?

I do not understand your sentence:
The airline staff in Istanbul were blatantly rude and informed me that
I must purchase a return ticket on the same flight.

Do you mean they told you you must buy a return ticket from the originating airline?

May 1, 2018
The official website for the Phillipine foreign affairs office says:

GUIDELINES ON THE ENTRY OF TEMPORARY VISITORS TO THE PHILIPPINES
Nationals from countries listed below (Kenya is listed) who are traveling to the Philippines for business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding thirty (30) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay.
https://www.dfa.gov.ph/list-of-countries-for-21-day-visa

Sounds to me like the Turkish Airlines reps made a mistake.
OP - You should write to the Turkish contacts listed here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/turkish-airlines/
Start with the primary contact and then work your way down the list. DO NOT write to the CEO first or send your request to all the executives at once.

Before you write, please condense your issue. No one will read an essay. Here is my suggestion:

• I had a flight to Manila from Nairobi on the 15th of October flight TK0084 at 0420 hours.
  • Upon arrival at the airport the check in staff insisted that I would require a return ticket
  • I promptly purchased through Expedia a one way flight back to Nairobi through China Southern Airlines.
  • The staff allowed me through the gates and onto the plane to Istanbul for a layover
  • When boarding the connecting flight in Istanbul the airline staff asked me about a return ticket and I told her I have it.
  • She asked me to stand aside and later informed me they closed the gate
  • The airline staff in Istanbul informed me that I must purchase a return ticket on the same flight.
  • This is something I have never heard of in my life, but I did so promptly, so I could board the next flight to Manila.
  • I am requesting a reimbursement in the amount of $________ for the unnecessary Turkish airlines flight I was required to purchase in order to board the flight to Manila since I was already in possession of a return ticket.

Oct 22, 2019
Thank you both for responding.

@Globetrottingal - Yes, the staff in Istanbul at Turkish Airlines informed me that I must buy a return ticket from the originating airline.
I had booked my return flight through China Southern Air for December 14th; the flight connects in China from CAN to CSX, under 8 hour layover. Keep in mind that I even have a visa from the Embassy in Nairobi valid until January 3rd.

@DanD , I have done as you've advised and, if I may, will update on this forum any response I get from them.

Any advice as to how to cancel my China Southern Air booking through Expedia?
Thanks again,
Maria

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you both for responding.

@Globetrottingal - Yes, the staff in Istanbul at Turkish Airlines informed me that I must buy a return ticket from the originating airline.
I had booked my return flight through China Southern Air for December 14th; the flight connects in China from CAN to CSX, under 8 hour layover. Keep in mind that I even have a visa from the Embassy in Nairobi valid until January 3rd.

@DanD , I have done as you've advised and, if I may, will update on this forum any response I get from them.

Any advice as to how to cancel my China Southern Air booking through Expedia?
Thanks again,
Maria

If it’s been over 24 hours, I think you are out of luck.
Booking your own air is fraught with hazards when you are not aware of the laws and requirements with flying to counties requiring round trip tickets. This is really an itinerary that you should have left up to a professional to assist with or booked directly with an airline. Expedia just does what you tell the system to do. They aren’t there to correct you if you need round trip tickets or visas or anything else.

You should appeal to Expedia using our company contacts.

Oct 22, 2019
Hello @Neil
Yes, I understand Expedia was just the third party app, but surely there must be room for cancellation of a flight two months from booking. For Expedia I would simply like to cancel a flight meant for the 14th of December which I booked on the 14th of October.

Oct 22, 2019
If it’s been over 24 hours, I think you are out of luck.
Booking your own air is fraught with hazards when you are not aware of the laws and requirements with flying to counties requiring round trip tickets. This is really an itinerary that you should have left up to a professional to assist with or booked directly with an airline. Expedia just does what you tell the system to do. They aren’t there to correct you if you need round trip tickets or visas or anything else.

You should appeal to Expedia using our company contacts.
And just to clarify, the Philippines regulations state that a return ticket is needed, not a roundtrip ticket. Even the Turkish Airkines staff at Nairobi informed me I would merely need a return ticket.

May 1, 2018
Hello @Neil
Yes, I understand Expedia was just the third party app, but surely there must be room for cancellation of a flight two months from booking. For Expedia I would simply like to cancel a flight meant for the 14th of December which I booked on the 14th of October.
Refundability of an airline ticket depends solely on fare type and so without knowing the fare type it would be impossible for us determine what the refund rules are. However, most airline tickets sold by Expedia are non-refundable because they are the cheapest fare types and Expedia is geared toward consumers looking for the lowest upfront costs.

Examples of non-refundable fares include business class tickets or what is commonly referred to as a "full-fare" economy ticket. These fare types are generally quite expensive, costing well in to the thousands of dollars for long haul international flights. So I'm going to guess that your $700 fare from Manila to Nairobi was non-refundable. Unfortunately, non-refundable fares mean just that - no refund is provided for a cancellation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hello @Neil
Expedia can’t do anything when an airline won’t provide a refund and if you bought a non refundable ticket, it’s exactly that- non refundable after 24 hours. And the 24 hour rule only applies when you book directly through the airline- not a third party like Expedia.

Oct 22, 2019
Dear Neil,
I definitely bought a refundable ticket; my issue lies from the very beginning when I try to find my flight - it states that there is no account linked. When I chat with a customer care bot on their website, it says the same thing. When I try to call, it says cannot connect.

@DanD through Expedia I paid 483$ for a refundable ticket. I am not including Expedia in the issue I faced with Turkish Airlines, I simply consolidated both my problems in this thread - sorry if it caused confusion.

Basically, I cannot reach Expedia through any means necessary even if it's to either change or cancel my booking. But again, I reiterate, I definitely bought a refundable ticket.

Mar 14, 2018
I'm confused by a few things:

1) Did you have a visa to enter the Philippines? From their site, it appears that you needed to have confirmed tickets for your departure flight before they issue the visa. If this is the case, why did you need to buy new departure tickets in Nairobi?

2) If you were entering without a visa, you can only stay for 30 days. If this is the case, the China Southern ticket you bought in Nairobi wouldn't be sufficient (since it was for 59 days after entry). Perhaps they first noticed this in Istanbul and that is why they required you to buy a new ticket.

3) If you did have a Visa, then the China Southern ticket should have met the requirements. In this case, since Turkish personnel incorrectly required you to purchase a new ticket, you may have more success getting a refund from Turkish and using the China Southern ticket for your flight home.

Oct 22, 2019
Hello @smd

1. Yes, I had a visa to enter the Philippines issued by the Embassy in Nairobi. I applied for a visa with a booking, which they accepted as there was sufficient correspondence between the Embassy in Nairobi and the Embassy in the Philippines regarding my stay.
2. My Visa is valid until the 3rd of January 2020

Thank you for your input. Your third point is exactly why I am very frustrated and adamant about getting compensation for the Turkish Airline flight.

Oct 22, 2019
Hello @smd

1. Yes, I had a visa to enter the Philippines issued by the Embassy in Nairobi. I applied for a visa with a booking, which they accepted as there was sufficient correspondence between the Embassy in Nairobi and the Embassy in the Philippines regarding my stay.
2. My Visa is valid until the 3rd of January 2020

Thank you for your input. Your third point is exactly why I am very frustrated and adamant about getting compensation for the Turkish Airline flight.
Sorry, I meant to say that there was sufficient correspondence between the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi and the Department of Immigration at Manila regarding my stay in the Philippines.

Mar 14, 2018
Refundability of an airline ticket depends solely on fare type and so without knowing the fare type it would be impossible for us determine what the refund rules are. However, most airline tickets sold by Expedia are non-refundable because they are the cheapest fare types and Expedia is geared toward consumers looking for the lowest upfront costs.

Examples of non-refundable fares include business class tickets or what is commonly referred to as a "full-fare" economy ticket. These fare types are generally quite expensive, costing well in to the thousands of dollars for long haul international flights. So I'm going to guess that your $700 fare from Manila to Nairobi was non-refundable. Unfortunately, non-refundable fares mean just that - no refund is provided for a cancellation.

Much to my astonishment, inexpensive China Southern tickets from Manila to Nairobi appear to be refundable (less a $200 fee).

1571978513355.png

Mar 14, 2018
Sorry, I meant to say that there was sufficient correspondence between the Philippine Embassy in Nairobi and the Department of Immigration at Manila regarding my stay in the Philippines.
Well, in that case it appears the Turkish personnel made a mistake. I'd suggest opening a support ticket with them requesting a refund. My experience with Turkish is their support agents don't speak English all that well, so I would suggest making your story short and simple.
  • I was ticketed on flight xx from Istanbul to Manila on 10/14
  • I possessed a Philippine Visa and ticket for ongoing travel (include visa/ticket)
  • Turkish personnel in Istanbul incorrectly said these were not sufficient for entry into the Philippines and required me to purchase a new ongoing ticket on Turkish (include ticket number)
  • As I already possessed a valid ongoing ticket, please refund the new Turkish ticket
Turkish customer support is wildly inconsistent, so I wish you luck. Worst case, I agree you can apply for a refund on your China Southern ticket, but it will cost you $200...