TSA Trusted Traveler Program Global Entry process snag??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 9, 2017
I realize that due to the government shutdown that was perhaps a month lost in the Global Entry process but does anyone have a feel for the current time in processing an application for Global Entry? I entered an application on 12/06/2018 and have not heard back from TSA except for no-reply emails (three so far) that say I can do the interview process when I'm returning from a trip at some (but not all) airports. I'd prefer to do this interview process prior to leaving, not as I return. I am not taking multiple overseas trip in the near future.

Regards,
John

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@John from PA ... So I'm eating some crow.... Just went in and they've changed the website since I did it last...

Have you logged in to see if it give you the option to schedule an interview? Since I don't need one, I don't have that option.

It can take awhile to schedule the interview so I'd login into the website and see if you have that option....

Sep 19, 2015
If you applied for Global Entry it is not the TSA but Customs and Border Protection.

This is your first time applying? Your card was charged for fee correct?

Normally it is 3-5 weeks on average -- but that is without a shut down. Add at least a month to the normal time.

Have you been conditionally approved?

The interview on arrival is just one way to expedite the process. As soon as you get a conditional approval you can schedule an interview.

Anecdotally there are people that applied in late November that are still waiting. Your timeline does not seem that alarming giving the circumstances.

Aug 9, 2017
Resolved
I had checked the application (my wife's as well) and no problems were indicated and neither had anything relative to conditional approval. Rather surprisingly however, about 2 hours after inputting an inquiry earlier today, conditional approval was received. The website indicates that as well. Hopefully all goes well with scheduling the interview appointments.

Sep 19, 2015
Well that is certainly good news. Try to schedule the interview soon and also check back often for cancellations— if there is another shut down there will be further delays.

Aug 9, 2017
Appointment(s) scheduled...

The government reply to my original inquiry could be confusing to some. It follows:

"Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

Please note that you can only have one program at a time, and the last one added replaces the previous one. Details about each our programs and their benefits can be found here: https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

You can check the status of your application from your TTP Dashboard at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/, which is displayed after you login. If you applied under the old GOES, instructions to migrate your information to the new TTP system can be found here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1321."

Take the sentence that reads "Please note that you can only have one program at a time, and the last one added replaces the previous one. " Does this mean that someone who has Global Entry and then perhaps applies for PreCheck could risk the Global Entry credentials?

Then, take the sentence "If you applied under the old GOES, instructions to migrate your information to the new TTP system can be found here: ". How does one know they applied under the "old GOES" vs. the "new TTP system"?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"Take the sentence that reads "Please note that you can only have one program at a time, and the last one added replaces the previous one. " Does this mean that someone who has Global Entry and then perhaps applies for PreCheck could risk the Global Entry credentials? "

Global entry includes TSA pre-check. You should not apply for both.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
There would be no point in applying for precheck since it's included in GE. There are other programs like NEXUS, this is what it's referring to. If you didn't have to reregister for the system then you weren't under GOES and you most likely weren't.

Aug 9, 2017
There would be no point in applying for precheck since it's included in GE. There are other programs like NEXUS, this is what it's referring to. If you didn't have to reregister for the system then you weren't under GOES and you most likely weren't.
I am well aware of the fact that PreCheck is included with GE. I was just pointing out the confusing nature of the two sentences.

Sep 19, 2015
John from PA it is sort of a generic letter to answer many questions.

The GOES system changed on Oct 1 2017. I had to make a new account to renew GE last year. If this is your first GE/NEXUS application you are on the new system and no worries.