TSA Precheck Logo Not provided by American Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 19, 2019
Hello,

I booked a oneway connecting flight from a PHL to ATL using American Airlines. At the time of booking, I provided my accurate TSA Precheck number (Known Traveler Number) to American Airlines. In addition, my frequent flier number was also on the booking. My frequent flier profile with American Airlines also has my TSA Precheck number correctly listed.

When the boarding pass was generated, it did not have the TSA Precheck Logo. I was forced to use the long security lines even though I have TSA Precheck. I feel that AA failed in providing me with a TSA Precheck logo on the boarding pass. I also feel that I need to be compensated for their error and the inconvenience this has caused.

I contacted AA and of course they are unable to figure out why this has happened.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Aug 19, 2019
Precheck is not guaranteed on every flight even if you have TSA precheck.

Here is information on it:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...-eligible-am-i-guaranteed-expedited-screening
Neil,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm having difficulty interpreting the TSA information that you have provided:

If I am TSA Pre✓® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?
No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

Does this mean that if I have the TSA Pre check logo on my boarding pass, I may not have any guarantee of expedited screening? I totally understand that. Lets imagine that I had the TSA Pre check logo on my boarding pass but the TSA agents felt for whatever reason, that I should not receive expedited screening, then yes, I understand this.

However, in this instance, I believe that American AIrlines failed to pass through my TSA precheck information to TSA in order to generate an expedited screening boarding pass.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It has nothing to do with the airline. This is TSA and they might not have offered expedited screening for this particular flight.

I have had pre check for years and there have been one or two times I did not get the TSA precheck logo and had to go through normal lines.

It means even if you have pre-check, TSA might not grant it on every flight.

If you have questions, you need to ask the TSA. The airline has nothing to do with whether you get it on every flight .

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
Its happened to my wife a couple of times... Once, it was because her # dropped from her profile.
Either way, its not an AA thing.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm having difficulty interpreting the TSA information that you have provided:

If I am TSA Pre✓® eligible, am I guaranteed expedited screening?
No, TSA uses unpredictable security measures, both seen and unseen, throughout the airport. All travelers will be screened, and no individual is guaranteed expedited screening.

Does this mean that if I have the TSA Pre check logo on my boarding pass, I may not have any guarantee of expedited screening? I totally understand that. Lets imagine that I had the TSA Pre check logo on my boarding pass but the TSA agents felt for whatever reason, that I should not receive expedited screening, then yes, I understand this.

However, in this instance, I believe that American AIrlines failed to pass through my TSA precheck information to TSA in order to generate an expedited screening boarding pass.
it means that even if one is enrolled in TSA precheck it means one will not always get it on the boarding pass and always get to use the precheck line. It is not guaranteed.

If the precheck logo is there, one should use that line — if it is not, regular line.

People with precheck can even get the SSSS extra security screening on boarding pass.

There is no compensation for such a situation.

Sep 20, 2015
It also can go the other way around--you get the precheck logo, but if you're at an airport that doesn't have precheck, you're out of luck. Happened to me a couple of times even at big airports where the terminals are separate or fingers isolated. British Airways' terminal at JFK, for example--it's a smallish terminal, and flying out on Alaska Airlines a couple of times they don't have precheck available in the afternoons.

Jan 6, 2015
This all should be explained before an applicant leaves the TSA office. At least, it was for me as I recall.

I logged the pre-check in my mind as "to the extent possible" . . .

Dec 12, 2014
I have seen issues with United & Delta (so the same probably applies to American) where the mobile boarding pass shows PreCheck while the printed one doesn't and vice versa. Whenever one doesn't show it, I always try the other method just to make sure it isn't a software glitch

Apr 8, 2019
Just be glad you did not have the random TSA "SSSS" code on your boarding pass, just having a pre-check account does not guarantee that this will not show up at sometime. It happened to me once.
If you see this mysterious code on your boarding pass, get ready to be searched. "SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection and it appears on a passenger's boarding pass when they've been selected by TSA's Secure Flight system for enhanced security screening,"

Sep 19, 2015
Just be glad you did not have the random TSA "SSSS" code on your boarding pass, just having a pre-check account does not guarantee that this will not show up at sometime. It happened to me once.
If you see this mysterious code on your boarding pass, get ready to be searched. "SSSS stands for Secondary Security Screening Selection and it appears on a passenger's boarding pass when they've been selected by TSA's Secure Flight system for enhanced security screening,"
SSSS is international, so one can even get it flying as an example London to South Africa.

I think the SSSS comes from a higher government agency, the DHS, as the TSA has no power over travelers on their way to the US -- ie London to Los Angeles.

But you are right, Global Entry/Pre Check do not guarantee a SSSS free travel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We got our SSSS when a clerk in a resort in Costa Rica did our online check in for us and accidentally checked off the box on the airline page that asked if we were carrying any hazardous waste. As soon as I saw the SSSS when he printed the boarding pass I knew I was in trouble. It was an awful experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've always wondered what would happen if my BP didn't have PreChek on it. I try to checkin online 24 hours before and my BP has always been right so far. I thought that if it were not printed on my BP, I'd just ask the airline to reissue it properly. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm just curious.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes we also had it happen once. My boarding pass had it and my wife’s did not. And she got through security before I did! It was explained that is was TSA and random searches. Since we knew it is a possibility we didn’t make a big deal out of it because it’s not a big deal to have to go through regular security- and the pre check mine was longer than the regular security line.

Feb 3, 2019
I booked a oneway connecting flight from a PHL to ATL using American Airlines.
It's possible this triggered the "additional" (aka "normal") screening, especially if you booked on short notice.

Or not. Who knows? Security measures are supposed to have an element of unpredictability, so it could have been completely random.

Or there could have been some kind of glitch in your checkin process. Did you inquire at the AA checkin counter to see if they could assist?

Sep 19, 2015
We got our SSSS when a clerk in a resort in Costa Rica did our online check in for us and accidentally checked off the box on the airline page that asked if we were carrying any hazardous waste. As soon as I saw the SSSS when he printed the boarding pass I knew I was in trouble. It was an awful experience.
Hazardous materials oh my... that must have been uh memorable

Jun 24, 2019
I have had TSA pre-check missing on Southwest twice, checking in on-line. I went to the counter, and while warned it might not do any good, when a paper ticket was issued it had pre-check on it.

On the other hand, I once had to book Jet Blue at the last minute one-way to Ft. Lauderdale from Long Beach. Not only was there no TSA in operation, I was selected for some reason for an extensive search. Extensive as in no shoes, socks. Down to my briefs. In a booth with curtains. Half the passengers did not want to fly with me; the other half wanted to know what I did to get searched like that.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
One time my Frontier BP didn’t have the Pre-Check, but when I had it reprinted at the airport it then did have the designation. Problem solved, easily, for me. :)
Perhaps if it happens again, try to get it added.