TSA PreCheck Issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 9, 2019
My husband and I recently flew round trip from Sacramento, CA to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on Alaskan Airlines, with a connection in San Diego. We both have TSA PreCheck, which was indicated on both our boarding passes on the way to Mexico. On our way home, however, my husband’s boarding pass had it but mine didn’t. I should point out that I was unable to get an electronic boarding pass for either flight ahead of time when I checked in 24 hours in advance. The airline representative told me this was because they needed to check our passports at the airport. However, I haven’t run into this on other international flights with other airlines. In Puerto Vallarta, the representative could see that my KTN was in the system, but neither she nor her supervisor could get my boarding pass to print with PreCheck. This caused us difficulties in San Diego, and we nearly missed our connection due to the long security line. I complained to Alaskan Airlines through their online form, and the rep answered back that TSA sometimes randomly selects people for extra search, including PreCheck fliers, and that’s why it PreCheck didn’t get written on my boarding pass. My question: Does this sound correct, or is it more likely that my boarding pass didn’t show PreCheck because of a glitch caused by Alaskan Airlines?

Mar 9, 2019
I knew that it wasn’t guaranteed. I’ve had situations in which the PreCheck line closed right as I was about to be checked, and times when we were sent to the regular line despite PreCheck status on our boarding passes. I’ve never had PreCheck status fail to print on my boarding pass before though, and the odd thing was that the check in agents in Puerto Vallarta seemed to have no idea that this was a TSA issue and not a problem with the Alaskan Airlines system.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That happened to my wife once when the person at the hotel did her check in for her. He checked off that she was carrying hazardous items in error and what a horror that was.

In addition - TSA precheck in foreign airport often doesn't matter because they do not have it - thats why the agents at PV didn't know anything about it. I don't believe the Puerto Vallarta airport even has TSA precheck. Your issue is that you had to obtain the boarding pass at the airport and that doesn't have much to do with TSA precheck except in your connection at San Diego.

We have become huge fans of CLEAR. I was a skeptic but it saved us a huge amount of time on our last two flights when the TSA lines were as long as the regular lines. In fact we would have missed our flight to Florida in August if we did not have CLEAR.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The new Passport App is fabulous. The GE lines very long but this line in SFO was empty when returning from Europe.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The new Passport App is fabulous. The GE lines very long but this line in SFO was empty when returning from Europe.
Do you mean Mobile Passport? That would have allowed them to re-enter the US quicker than waiting in immigration lines but wouldn't have helped when they had to re-check in for their connecting flight.

Mar 9, 2019
Actually, I have the Mobile Passport app. San Diego is listed as a participating airport, but no one there seemed to have any idea what I was talking about. There were kiosks for Global Entry but no dedicated line I could find for Mobile Passport. Customs was super quick and it didn’t really matter. The main issue was we had a tight connection and it took 45 minutes for our luggage to come to the carousel, and then we had the PreCheck issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well, now I know what the SSSS was.
So you HAD the SSSS printed on your boarding pass? Is it possible when you tried to check in that you accidentally hit that you had hazardous material in your luggage? DId they go through your luggage when you tried to check in? That makes a difference in our reply - and that is what the hold up was.

BTW - if you want to quote someone else post when you click the reply to the post, just start typing your reply underneath the quoted words.

Mar 9, 2019
Good advice for sure. I was nervous about this connection and I called the airline before booking... they assured me they do it all the time, it’s never a problem in a smaller airport like San Diego, etc. So I took a chance. There are many good breweries in San Diego. It wouldn’t have been the end of the world to be stuck there. As it happened, we got a good run in and free beer on the plane.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Actually, I have the Mobile Passport app. San Diego is listed as a participating airport, but no one there seemed to have any idea what I was talking about. There were kiosks for Global Entry but no dedicated line I could find for Mobile Passport. Customs was super quick and it didn’t really matter. The main issue was we had a tight connection and it took 45 minutes for our luggage to come to the carousel, and then we had the PreCheck issue.
That is the issue - never book a connection less than 3 hours - tight connections can result in missing your flight if the original flight takes off 10 minutes late, if there is a hold up on an open gate on arrival. Keep this in mind for the future.

The Mobile Passport lanes are available in San Diego: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-...control-lands-san-diego-international-airport

Mar 9, 2019
So you HAD the SSSS printed on your boarding pass? Is it possible when you tried to check in that you accidentally hit that you had hazardous material in your luggage? DId they go through your luggage when you tried to check in? That makes a difference in our reply - and that is what the hold up was.

BTW - if you want to quote someone else post when you click the reply to the post, just start typing your reply under neath the quoted words.
I don’t THINK I hit the hazardous materials yes button, but mistakes are always possible. I’ll be hyper aware for next time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good advice for sure. I was nervous about this connection and I called the airline before booking... they assured me they do it all the time, it’s never a problem in a smaller airport like San Diego, etc. So I took a chance. There are many good breweries in San Diego. It wouldn’t have been the end of the world to be stuck there. As it happened, we got a good run in and free beer on the plane.
What is legal and what is practical are two different things. Airlines tell you a 45 minute connection is okay - I would never ever book that.

Mar 9, 2019
That is the issue - never book a connection less than 3 hours - tight connections can result in missing your flight if the original flight takes off 10 minutes late, if there is a hold up on an open gate on arrival. Keep this in mind for the future.

The Mobile Passport lanes are available in San Diego: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-...control-lands-san-diego-international-airport
Yes, I read this in advance of the flight, but no one in San Diego seemed to have gotten the memo.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
More than any other undertaking, I think, travel requires planning for exceptions and unforeseen circumstances. This requires research before booking every portion. Simply stated, I always ask the question "What if?" This forum is filled weekly with stories of missed connections, lost luggage, flight cancellations, and medical emergencies that could have been mitigated by proper planning . . .