TSA & JetBlue mistakes.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
My daughter went through the TSA checkpoint and while in the X-ray machine, a TSA agent held up a her bag asking whose was it? Unbeknownst to her, the TSA agent broke protocol and searched it w/o my daughter being present and failed to put back multiple items including my daughters daily medication. This was not realized till we were at our destination, which was OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Items ended up at airlines lost and found. Due to being out of county items would take 5 days to get. We ended up having to find Dr. after my daughter began to suffer withdrawal symptoms. When picking up items my daughter and myself were treated by rude, nasty workers in the JetBlue BSO at JFK.
TSA claim has been opened, TSA admits her rights violated. Claim open with airlines. (daughter got back medication and pocketbook but not phone bank)
What type of compensation can we expect. I spent 1 full day on phone and emailing, 2nd day at Dr and pharmacy to get medication.

Thank you

What's your desired resolution? We are looking for flight credits, reimbursement of time spent trying to resolve, and getting to Dr and pharmacy. Reimbursement for Dr. bill and pharmacy bill. Travel to Dr and pharmacy time taken away from vacation. Along with compensation for aggravation, and pain and suffering for my daughter.
Date of transaction/travel date: 06/02/2019.
By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

Referred by: Online search.

Case notes:

Deleted. Ctrl + Z to Undo.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can ask for compensation for costs associated with this- dr bills, new prescriptions and taxi. But you probably won’t get anything for pain and suffering - no airline will offer that. My wife is on meds that cause withdrawal symptoms so I think I know what your daughter probably experienced and how it physically affected her.

If you expect more and can prove a monetary amount for that you will need to consult an attorney.

This also has nothing to do with the airline- JetBlue is not responsible for TSA, it’s procedures or the TSA personnel.

May 1, 2018
Sounds like your issue is entirely with TSA; I can't see that Jetblue did anything wrong here.

Regarding your claims for compensation:
  • flight credits - not likely, but you may get some miles from Jetblue as a courtesy. It's worth asking politely.
  • reimbursement of time spent trying to resolve - not going to happen
  • getting to Dr and pharmacy - Very reasonable. Gather any receipts for taxis/uber and submit them to TSA.
  • Reimbursement for Dr. bill and pharmacy bill - Also reasonable. Sent receipts to TSA.
  • time taken away from vacation - not going to happen
  • compensation for aggravation, and pain and suffering - not going to happen
Overall, I think you should temper your expectations. If the TSA agrees to provide a reimbursement (which they should), it will be significantly less than your demands.

Start here to file a claim with TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

Sep 19, 2015
When picking up items my daughter and myself were treated by rude, nasty workers in the JetBlue BSO at JFK.

I think there is a fundamental lack of understanding on what an airline does and does not do.

JetBlue has no control of the TSA and has nothing to do with screening of carry on luggage.

JetBlue has nothing to do with Border Security, immigration, customs, etc -- If you have a problem with immigration or customs that is Customs and Border Protection and that is part of the Department of Homeland Security.

Do not blame a business or demand compensation for the issues caused various governmental agencies.

Nov 21, 2014
Very unfortunate situation but the airline has nothing to do with passenger screening. I am at a loss as to why you believe the airline has any responsibility. Is there something to the story we are missing or possibly was left out?

Aug 29, 2018
Are you sure it was TSA searching the purse? If so, how? The TSA would likely argue you were present.

If it was out of sight, then how do you know it was TSA that removed items, and not another passenger? I've personally experienced having another passenger attempt to steal from me on one of those lines. (Fairly typical: Two people ahead of me, one goes through, and TSA tells me to line up and starts to put my stuff through. The second person "has problems" with the detector, so my carry on goes through to the first person who attempted to pilfer my laptop.)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you sure it was TSA searching the purse? If so, how? The TSA would likely argue you were present.

If it was out of sight, then how do you know it was TSA that removed items, and not another passenger? I've personally experienced having another passenger attempt to steal from me on one of those lines. (Fairly typical: Two people ahead of me, one goes through, and TSA tells me to line up and starts to put my stuff through. The second person "has problems" with the detector, so my carry on goes through to the first person who attempted to pilfer my laptop.)
This is my wife’s fear when she travels alone. She has to go through the body scanners and there is often a wait for a female. She watches her bags like a hawk while waiting.

Sep 19, 2015
I have the same fear about someone rifling through my bag — and also I wonder why some women travel with open bags like totes where things can roll out either in a bin or in the aircraft.

90 percent of my travel is alone so I do watch over it.

When a bag has to be opened the security person has waited for me — this has happened also outside the US.

Jul 13, 2016
I too am not understand how you KNOW that TSA held the bag up and asked "who's is this", but did not actually go to that worker and say "Mine". Thus being present while the bag is searched. UpsetMom, you were there. Why didn't one of you observe the search?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We really need the daughter to answer our questions but Mom claims the TSA has opened an investigation and says it is against protocol.

The TSA has video tapes of the security areas so let’s see what the investigation comes up with. If Mom was with the daughter she would have seen what happened so I am taking from her description she saw it happen.

Dec 17, 2018
God, I am SO SORRY she went through that. I'm also on medication that will cause withdrawal symptoms and I live in fear of losing it. We recently went to Disney World, flew from Ontario, California to Orlando and I didn't let my bag or medication out of my sight. I checked it the second the bag got through screening, and I checked again and again even DURING the flight to make sure all was good. I can't even imagine the panic your daughter felt. I literally would have panicked the second they said "five days". I would've been in the corner rocking like a baby, just anticipating the pain I'd be going through (physical pain plus withdrawals... sucky life to live sometimes...).

Dec 17, 2018
We really need the daughter to answer our questions but Mom claims the TSA has opened an investigation and says it is against protocol.

The TSA has video tapes of the security areas so let’s see what the investigation comes up with. If Mom was with the daughter she would know have seen what happened so I am taking from her description she saw it happen.
Also, for the people saying "how do you know TSA took the items"... well... obviously the agent did it, because the daughter received the medication and another item back (from what I understand, they went to the airport to get it). If a passenger had taken it, that medication would've been long gone. So yeah... I'd be insanely pissed at TSA, too. But I also would've been making a scene the second I found out there was stuff missing. If they search my bag, you can bet I'm looking through it to make sure my stuff is still there. That was the major mistake on the traveler's part. Don't EVER trust anyone when medication like this is concerned. It's just too high valued to trust ANYONE to put it back, even a TSA agent (who have been caught stealing Ipads and other such items - yes it's not "common" but it HAS happened). But yeah... it seems clear that the TSA agent messed up here.

Sep 19, 2015
Also, for the people saying "how do you know TSA took the items"... well... obviously the agent did it, because the daughter received the medication and another item back (from what I understand, they went to the airport to get it). If a passenger had taken it, that medication would've been long gone. So yeah... I'd be insanely pissed at TSA, too. But I also would've been making a scene the second I found out there was stuff missing. If they search my bag, you can bet I'm looking through it to make sure my stuff is still there. That was the major mistake on the traveler's part. Don't EVER trust anyone when medication like this is concerned. It's just too high valued to trust ANYONE to put it back, even a TSA agent (who have been caught stealing Ipads and other such items - yes it's not "common" but it HAS happened). But yeah... it seems clear that the TSA agent messed up here.
I have had things slide out of bag if it is not properly zipped. Many woman’s bags have gaps or are partially open.

There are too many details lacking. Did the passenger ever see the bag being searched? Was it open in a bin? I thought the search was done with the owner nearby in case of something serious being found. Was the bag taken to one of the secondary screen tables where it is opened?

If my bag is opened I am like you double checking everything.

The claim is for medication and pocketbook which I take to mean a purse.

Was the pocketbook in another bag that was searched? Was the pocketbook separate?

JetBlue allows a personal item and a carry one so where was the pocketbook?

I am not sure what a missing phone bank is in this context.

Also there is no indication of the age of the daughter but if the daughter is not a minor the daughter should be the one in contact with the TSA.

Sep 19, 2015
So much information is lacking. The OP claims a pocketbook was left out along with medication.

I understand pocketbook to mean purse — or is something else meant like a notebook?

Was the pocketbook inside another piece of luggage? Were the meds inside the pocketbook?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The fact that the items were found in the airports Lost & Found could mean that they were taken by the TSA and could mean someone else may have picked up the bag accidentally and turned it over to the airport. If a passenger didn't need the medication - they had no reason to take it. What I don't understand is that she didn't get the pocketbook back for five days - I am not sure how you walk away without your pocketbook unless it was inside the carry on.

I still say we need to wait to hear what the investigation shows - the TSA can verify with the video tapes what happened. We shouldn't jump to conclusions. Asking questions if okay because some of the story is unclear.

(daughter got back medication and pocketbook but not phone bank)

Feb 12, 2019
So much information is lacking. The OP claims a pocketbook was left out along with medication.

I understand pocketbook to mean purse — or is something else meant like a notebook?

Was the pocketbook inside another piece of luggage? Were the meds inside the pocketbook?
I've known some people that refer to those large wallets as pocketbooks.