TSA and Global Entry Numbers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2018
As my TSA Known Traveler Number was close to expiring, I decided to obtain a Global Entry Number.
As I was going through the process of filling out forms and getting fingerprinted, the official in charge told me that I still have to get a separate TSA Known Traveler Number, because my Global Entry Number may not be accepted in TSA precheck when I fly domestically.

I have subsequently called the TSA, and I was told that I should stop using my TSA number and only use the Global Entry number.

I fly domestically often from PHL to visit my daughter and grandsons, and the TSA precheck comes in handy.

So, when I book flights online, do I enter my Global Entry Number (in the TSA Known Traveler Number box)?
Or should I still get a separate TSA Known Traveler Number to make sure I have it for domestic flights?

Thanks,
Sooze

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I agree with above answers except that it's likely the number won't change unless it already did.

Jul 31, 2018
I agree with above answers except that it's likely the number won't change unless it already did.
I recently migrated from straight TSA to Global Entry. I can confirm that, first, the numbers ARE different (very different); and second, that the GE number will be recognized as a KT number for domestic flights. As mentioned above, the official who told you otherwise was wrong.

Aug 9, 2017
I don't believe that is true, although in my case the TSA precheck number is old. But it was 9-digits and was formatted as 98xxxxxxx. It was my understanding most if not all TSA precheck numbers started with the "98". My current Global Entry number is a mix of nine numbers and characters, the first two being "TT".

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I don't believe that is true, although in my case the TSA precheck number is old. But it was 9-digits and was formatted as 98xxxxxxx. It was my understanding most if not all TSA precheck numbers started with the "98". My current Global Entry number is a mix of nine numbers and characters, the first two being "TT".
When my Global Entry was expiring I applied for Nexus. My Known Traveler Number remained the same when I got my Nexus card. Mind you, mine only has numbers so maybe things have changed.