TSA Agents

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2018
My wife, my 1 hear old son and my niece flew out of DFW on January 6, 2018. We flew on American Airline. The TSA agents confronted us and confiscated our son’s aseptic milk (two bottles of 8 oz each, that were sealed). The agent also confiscated, one bottle of 16 oz open water, which we purchased at the airport. The agent also had the audicity and the cruelty to empty my son's water cup. I challenged the agent to allow me keeping the product and she denied it. Her claim was that my son was old enough if he could walk. The agent was extremely rude to us. I begged the agent to allow us keeping the water in the cup in case of a delay but the agent was completely sensless. I asked to do a pat down and kep the items and she denied me. I asked to speak with the supervisor. Ten minutes later a rude, dismissive, racist human being identified herself as the supervisor. The supervisor seemed to have a problem with us being white. I proceded to tell her we fly quite often and this was the first time we faced this issue at DFW airport. She was quite dismissive and did not care to listen what I had to say. She took off without reacting. I asked her numerous times for her ID. She finally mumbled STO CLARK. For the last 30 days we have taken three trips out of DFW and we have been allowed to bring water, milk, and yogurt for my son to eat. The last time we traveled was on December 17, 2017 and we did not face any ssues. The professionalism at DFW airport on this date was completely lacking. We have never experienced this situation anywhere else in te US. I am in the airline industry and as much as we travel, we have never faced this cruelty before. If our flight got delayed my son would not have any food or water to consume. Additionally, my son waited until we got up in the air and approximately 1 hour after take off to get water since the flight attendants could not get on aisles due to the turbulence. My son was crying as he was thirsty. Shame on TSA agency for depriving a 1 year old from essentials of his life, water and milk. They left my son without milk or water for a long time.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well first- you can’t take an open bottle of water through security with you. I am sure you know this if you work for an airline and fly frequently so I am not sure why this was an issue. It doesn’t matter if you bought it there - it had to either be finished before you go through or you have to buy it on the other side.

There are water fountains beyond security that you could have filled your sons cup with or bought a bottle of water on the other side. There was no need to make a fuss about emptying the cup - arguing about bringing the bottle through security in the first place I wonder if this might actually be what set off the TSA agent since this is security 101 - there are signs throughout the security lines stating this.

What you might have a legitimate claim for is the milk. Is it considered formula? I do t know what aseptic milk is. Formula can be carried through.

Here are the TSA rules. They specifically talk about formula for infants and toddlers though.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

There is also an assistance number to call with questions.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support

Do you have the name of the agent? You shouldn’t be treated rudely and if you can advise the date and time, the airport can pull the surveillance tapes to see what occurred.

Here are links that file a complaint about your treatment. Let us know the outcome;
https://www.tsa.gov/contact/customer-service

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Tony Bako Here’s the TSA rules for liquids ( https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule ) and and exemptions for kids (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children ). I don’t think aseptic milk qualifies as either formula, breast milk or juice under the rule. Frankly, the actions of agents on prior trips isn’t relevant if the agent this time followed TSA policies (ie one officer letting you off for speeding doesn’t give you a pass from ever getting a speeding ticket)

If you disagree or believe that your items complied with TSA policies, here’s the link to file a complaint https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

Good luck

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a nasty experience. I hope you take some action to get these people reported. No matter what you were trying to bring on board, you should never be treated like this for any reason. I am curious why you couldn't go get some water for your boy from a nearby fountain. And definitely drop the racist mention, it's of no bearing here.

Sep 19, 2015
I have to agree with John Baker -- aseptic milk (ie Parmalat) is milk that does not need to be refrigerated. And the TSA officer followed the letter of the regulations.

And now comes for what I find as problematic in the OPs account -- immediately calling racism when someone is following the rules. Water in a sippy cup is not allowed, and neither is an open bottle of water, no matter where it was bought. And to claim that the TSA is cruel for pouring out water undermines the credibility. There are water fountains at Dallas airport if one does not want to pay for bottled water.

There is no doubt that the liquids ban is a burden on travelers. But it the law, not only in the US but in most foreign countries. You can take a small baggie of liquids less than 100 ml for the child next time. Water can be put in small containers, as can the aseptic milk and yogurt.
When traveling there are many notifications of the restrictions. The fact that someone bent the rules in the past is not relevant. Neil gave a great example with the warning for speeding; I got off with a warning for speeding on I-5 and I have not done it again and I would not expect any other officer to overlook my transgressions

No TSA officer should be rude. But when one is told no water in a sippy cup the next step should not be begging to be treated differently from others and asking the officer to break the rules is not a good strategy. Other passengers will wonder why they had to dump their water bottles.

If the OP does write to the TSA to complain there should be no mention of racism.
Is there a reason that no water was gotten from a water fountain at the airport? Is the water contaminated?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with jsn’s advice about leaving the racism claim out of it. They were doing their job- you aren’t permitted to bring those things through security and arguing might have set them off regardless of you being white.

Concentrate on the rudeness, they can pull the security tapes.

Jan 6, 2015
I see two important things that should be included in any appeal you make:

1. The milk container composition (plastic vs, glass bottles)
2. The reason for the Aseptic Milk (justification)

If your child can drink regular milk and this is a precaution you take, your case becomes weaker IMO

Sep 19, 2015
As far as I know aseptic milk as somewhat less nutrients from conventionally pasteurized milk but lasts longer on the shelf; still needs to be in a fridge after opening.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
So far I agree with everyone. Water is readily available and free past the checkpoint. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to empty out the cup and refill it. It wouldn’t have taken but a minute to refill at the fountain or restroom tap, even juggling an infant, luggage, etc.

The milk you may have a case on if it’s a medical necessity the child drinks milk (and not just a preference). Another alternative is bringing what is allowed, formula. Of course to me if breast milk is allowed for infants, then why not aseptic or even regular if that’s what the child eats? That may be a suggestion to the TSA as a future exemption if that’s your sons diet, along with any research you can find on numbers of infants on this diet.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Other passengers will wonder why they had to dump their water bottles.
Fun story. I travelled with an empty reusable bottle once. I was told by an agent I couldn’t take water through. I told her it was empty, and unscrewed the top and turned it upside down to prove it.

One drop rolls out.

“OK, now it’s empty” I said. I got waved through.

Sep 19, 2015
He simply edited it and deleted it. I guess the fact we told him that the TSA agent was doing her job when she made him throw out the open bottle and empty the sipping cup wasn’t what he wanted to hear.
And he could not answer why he did not get water from the fountain...

Status
Not open for further replies.