Troy-Bilt won't pay for warrantee service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2020
UPDATE: I paid the repair bill and picked up the trimmer last week. I had the shop manager start it up before I left. It took her more than a dozen tries to get it started, but it did start. When I got it home it started up after a few tries and I ran it until it ran out of the fuel the shop had put into it, about 20 minutes. I then put in some fuel from the same can as what I had originally used, and it ran OK until I finished the trimming in the yard that needed to be done, about 20 more minutes of work and it was still running OK. I didn't experience any of the issues as when I first ran it some months ago, which leads me to believe what I've always suspected - it wasn't an issue with the fuel I was using. I tried contacting MTD Products again and once again spoke with the same receptionist and told her I still couldn't get past first tier support. I asked yet again if she could direct me to a supervisor and she said she couldn't and didn't really know who to send me to anyway, but she did agree to give me her company email address so I could email her directly and she would try to find someone to forward it to. I sent her and email last week listing what I've gone through (mostly the same info as the beginning of this post) and as expected I didn't hear back from anyone. I emailed her again yesterday and she confirmed she did receive my message and had forwarded it to a supervisor. I asked if she could forward it to a different supervisor. As of today still haven't heard anything.

I'm very aggravated at the complete lack of customer concern with this company. Someone at a higher level should at least acknowledge they have received my complaint. I was without this trimmer for three months (pretty much all summer). I reported the problem in July, had to wait through five weeks of backlog to get it into the closest authorized repair shop (25 miles from my house, so I had to drive a total of 100 miles on two trips to drop this off and then pick it up), had to wait a few weeks for MTD to decide if they would cover the bill, then after being denied went a few more weeks going around with the repair shop and numerous calls to MTD to try to get the "repair" covered. So mid-July to mid-October without the trimmer and still no one has the decency to respond to me.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
UPDATE: I paid the repair bill and picked up the trimmer last week. I had the shop manager start it up before I left. It took her more than a dozen tries to get it started, but it did start. When I got it home it started up after a few tries and I ran it until it ran out of the fuel the shop had put into it, about 20 minutes. I then put in some fuel from the same can as what I had originally used, and it ran OK until I finished the trimming in the yard that needed to be done, about 20 more minutes of work and it was still running OK. I didn't experience any of the issues as when I first ran it some months ago, which leads me to believe what I've always suspected - it wasn't an issue with the fuel I was using. I tried contacting MTD Products again and once again spoke with the same receptionist and told her I still couldn't get past first tier support. I asked yet again if she could direct me to a supervisor and she said she couldn't and didn't really know who to send me to anyway, but she did agree to give me her company email address so I could email her directly and she would try to find someone to forward it to. I sent her and email last week listing what I've gone through (mostly the same info as the beginning of this post) and as expected I didn't hear back from anyone. I emailed her again yesterday and she confirmed she did receive my message and had forwarded it to a supervisor. I asked if she could forward it to a different supervisor. As of today still haven't heard anything.

I'm very aggravated at the complete lack of customer concern with this company. Someone at a higher level should at least acknowledge they have received my complaint. I was without this trimmer for three months (pretty much all summer). I reported the problem in July, had to wait through five weeks of backlog to get it into the closest authorized repair shop (25 miles from my house, so I had to drive a total of 100 miles on two trips to drop this off and then pick it up), had to wait a few weeks for MTD to decide if they would cover the bill, then after being denied went a few more weeks going around with the repair shop and numerous calls to MTD to try to get the "repair" covered. So mid-July to mid-October without the trimmer and still no one has the decency to respond to me.
I understand your frustration, but I also understand the frustration of trying to run a business when your employees can't come in to work. Many businesses are floating much too close to bankruptcy and will go under if this virus disaster isn't over soon. The amount you are looking for is so small that I'm sure they'll get to it when life gets back to normal.

Reactions: FrankL183
Oct 8, 2020
Yes, I did use the form for executive contact research - it's the first thing I did. After I filled it out I received an email back asking me to post the issue here on the forum, which is what I did.

I sent another email back to the MTD receptionist and told her I still hadn't heard back from anyone after about a week and asked her to forward my message to a different supervisor. She called me back and said I had spoken to a supervisor in one of the calls and was told I wouldn't be reimbursed because it wasn't a manufacturing defect, but I don't recall actually speaking to a person in a supervisory position, I believe the first-tier support person I was speaking to had messaged a supervisor and that was the response back that was given, but I don't think anyone I actually spoke with was a supervisor. The receptionist was very sympathetic to my issue as she seemed to agree that there were customer service issues that went far beyond the original problem with the line trimmer itself, but said there wasn't anything more she could do other than to try to forward to another supervisor but that I should expect the same result. It would be great if anyone knows of an executive contact at MTD Products. Thanks.

Reactions: FrankL183

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you sent the form asking for contacts, did they say they will research contacts for you? We always say to post in the forums but we do have researchers to look for contacts. They may be backed up but usually will try to find them.

Reactions: VoR61
Oct 8, 2020
The email I received appeared to be a generic pre-written response requesting that I post in the forum. It did not indicate one way or the other if someone would research, though I would appreciate it if someone would. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2017
Unless you pick this up and try using it again, you don’t know if the “fix” that service shop did really fixed it. While it may have started right up after they changed the fuel and filter, it might not continue to run while you are using it as you described.

I highly recommend paying the money to pick it up and try using it again. If it stops running again after they fixed it, you have more of a case that there is a defect if you have to bring it back again because it repeats the problem.

Neil, the OP never stated they changed the "fuel and filter", that was another contributor. The OP stated " Repair shop looked at it, put in new fuel and said problem was fixed." It then appeared to start OK.

Aug 9, 2017
One has to ask was this service facility the same shop where the trimmer was purchased? If not why wasn't the machine taken back to where it was purchased?

Troy recommends 10 pumps on the primer bulb, was that done by the OP?

FYI, I was cautioned, on the purchase of a 2-cycle blower (not a Troy), to allow the machine to run continuously for about 10 to 15 minutes to insure that various preservatives in the fuel tank and line during assembly are dissolved. Otherwise the machine may have issues under load.

Reactions: VoR61
Oct 8, 2020
UPDATE: I finally received a reimbursement check from MTD, nearly 10 months after this ordeal began. Thanks to Elliott Advocacy for providing some emails of senior management to try. I emailed the COO around the end of October, he forwarded it to another manager who got back to me right away, I explained the situation and he had me submit the work order and proof of payment for the repairs and I would be reimbursed. Then didn't hear anything for over a month, re-submitted the WO and payment receipt, still nothing. Emailed the COO again, he had another manager contact me, said it would be taken care of. Nothing again, contacted them after another month + of no response, same drill, COO forwarded to the manager again, said he's take care of it, waited another month and then finally received the check. Quite an epic ordeal just to get reimbursed a little over $27, but the point is it finally happened and I couldn't have gotten through to them without your assistance. Really appreciate what you do, I made a small donation to your organization. Thanks again.